Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Advantages to simulating worlds in DF  (Read 2126 times)

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advantages to simulating worlds in DF
« on: April 19, 2009, 11:59:52 pm »

I've been wondering, what are the advantages for the player in how DF simulates worlds. It's exciting that Toady can do it, but it doesn't seem to have that many benefits for Fortress mode. I'm sure its benefits are more clearly seen in Adventure mode, but I prefer fortress building.

So does world simulation really benefit the quality of play? What benefits does it have? I'll appreciate your insight.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Advantages to simulating worlds in DF
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 12:06:40 am »

Every game is different when they are all in different worlds with different histories, climates, civilizations, etc.

replay value is key.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 12:07:05 am »

Detailed Simulations CAN be useful for giving meaning to and driving the 'game' along.  But DF has consistently fallen down on making linkages between the simulation and the game.  For example Dwarfs have personal deities but never DO anything because of them as their is no religion or priesthood in game play.  Adding Simulation detail for its own sake is pointless, only simulation details that area paired with engaging game play are of any use.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 12:09:12 am »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 12:21:28 am »

Before you can link a system to gameplay, you must first make the system.

Thus why we can see paragraphs on the various conditions of a dwarves beard. For when it will matter.

It will decide the world.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 12:28:49 am »

Because there is more to the game than fortress mode.   Read the devnotes.   The goal of DF is to make a fantasy world generator, not just a fortress game.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 12:35:11 am »

A lot of stuff is currently placeholder, to be implemented fully at a later date.

Currently, It also influences trade goods, climates, who you are at war with etc etc.

The first time you get an elven king/queen you'll no longer be asking this question.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 12:48:35 am »

Yeah, like I've been saying in Threetoe's recent thread, a lot of the newer simulation material is built as a framework for use in later versions. Can't have the house without walls and a foundation, after all. It'll matter more once the fortress starts really interacting with other civs.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 12:49:58 am »

It's taking superdwarven amounts of selfcontrol to not ask what the advantage of a fortress building game is in a world simulator is.

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 05:15:12 am »

Thanks for your replies everyone. I think I understand better now. Between you all and the Black Diamond interview podcast, I can see the bigger picture. This is basically just the framework for what is to come.

I hope my CPU can handle what is to come. Haha.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 06:46:47 am »

We all hope computers are able to handle DF v1 when it comes. Maybe they'll have a 20ghz processor by then. At that point, it could handle 20 dwarves.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 07:25:01 am »

Basically, when finished Dwarf Fortress is supposed to be a fully realised world simulator. Everything, the whole kit and koboodle, it makes a world that you can run around and interact with in every concievable way (aka douse with magma).

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 09:06:27 am »

Basically, when finished Dwarf Fortress is supposed to be a fully realised world simulator. Everything, the whole kit and koboodle, it makes a world that you can run around and interact with in every concievable way (aka douse with magma).
And burn with magma
And flood with magma
And cover in obsidian
And flood with water
And destroy, burn, and pillage with your horde of tamed war-demons.

In other words, short term fun and long term Fun.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 09:49:56 am »

Also note it is unwise to do optimizations too early, as they make it more difficult to add new features. When the optimizations come, DF will likely run a lot faster. Although it is tricky to deal with pathfinding and flows in an efficient manner, I'm sure Toady can find a way of making such bottlenecks be less wasteful.

Of course, that is after we can become gods of war-torn countries fighting over an artifact shield used in the defeat of a great demon that terrorized the world.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

madpraxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 05:08:15 pm »

Bah..in the 10 years or so till we get DF 1.0 I'm sure somebody somewhere will come up with a brand new ground breaking shiny way to program pathfinding and flow calculations. So keep your hopes up!
Pages: [1] 2