Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New kinds of beds  (Read 3154 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New kinds of beds
« on: April 19, 2009, 09:26:10 pm »

This thread is half question, half suggestion.

Are there current plans by Toady to add new types of bed materials?

For some reason, beds can currently be made of wood and nothing else (even though very few beds are made of just wood).

For example, why can't we make hammocks out of cloth and leather? Position the hammock between two supports, and wallah, a new type of bed for dwarves.

If Toady currently has no plans for new bed types, I would highly recommend it.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New kinds of beds
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 09:43:11 pm »

Tried Search?

Results 3, 4, and 11.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:47:43 pm »

Or beds made of Bauxite?

I'd like to see beds needing primarily cloth or leather, along with a solid like wood, rock, or possibly even glass.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 12:24:54 am »

Cant wait to lay my dwarves down to rest in a *Well crafted nail bed*

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 01:08:30 am »

I'd like to have more bed materials (and different kinds of beds supported through this), but it would also be nice to have the ability to carve beds and other furniture from the living rock of our dwarfs' bedrooms.

It wouldn't work in every situation, ofcourse, and I think it would work best when more materials are already implemented, but it'd be great to be able to set our master stonecarvers to making "built-in" furnishings.

It also wouldn't have to always be carved, either. There could be the option to permanently affix furnishings to walls etc. that are made from metal and other substances. Once that was done, you wouldn't be able to move those items again, but it might add to the overall quality of the room, and I just think it would be fun to plot out.
For they would be your masters.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 01:43:30 am »

Beds able to be decorated with cloth for sheets would be a lovely addition.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 04:12:28 am »

Hmm.  The Bed in HistoryThe History of Your Bed.

The earliest beds were little more than piles of straw or other natural materials to ease the discomfort of lying on a bare, cold floor. An important change occurred when beds were first raised off the ground to protect the sleeper from draughts, dirt, and pests.
We don't have straw or reeds in the game yet, but this could be a possible use.

More than 3,600 years ago, the Persians filled goatskins with water to create the first water beds. In ancient Egypt, beds were made from wood and reed matting, and the bed functioned as a place to eat and entertain socially as well as to sleep.
Aha!  We do have waterskins.  Still, a bed made of waterskins?  Hard to picture.

In Homer's Odyssey, the bed of Odysseus is described as being made of woven rope, while the ancient Romans had a variety of beds for different purposes. These included the lectus cubicularis, or chamber bed for sleeping, the lectus discubitorius, or table bed, on which up to three people would lie to eat, and the lectus funebris, on which the dead were carried to the pyre. In most ancient societies, however, only the rich would have enjoyed the luxury of sleeping in a bed.
We certainly have a lot of rope.

In Saxon England, a bed typically consisted of a mattress on wooden boards, covered with quilts and fur rugs. In the later Saxon period, some beds were raised wooden platforms. Again, it was only the rich who slept in beds; everyone else spent the night on the floor huddled around the fire in the great hall.
Our beds, only without the mattresses or quilts or fur rugs, so it's really more of a "log you sleep on."

The second part is important, though.  Technically, it is anachronistic for Dwarf Fortress to have individual beds for each dwarf -- perhaps what we really need is the ability to create 'fire-halls' or whatever, where non-noble dwarves will sleep without much of a bad thought.  Wealthier dwarves should get more annoyed than poor ones at having to do this.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 05:35:17 am »

Technically, it is anachronistic for Dwarf Fortress to have individual beds for each dwarf -- perhaps what we really need is the ability to create 'fire-halls' or whatever, where non-noble dwarves will sleep without much of a bad thought.  Wealthier dwarves should get more annoyed than poor ones at having to do this.

Since dwarves always have a Norse feel to them, I think of the movie Beowulf with everyone sleeping strewn about the hall. This could serve as a greater division between communism and capitalism, too. Once capitalism starts, richer dwarves start wanting bedrooms.

Where would they store their items without their own bedroom though?
~ T

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 05:54:23 am »

You could make chests/cabinets rentable to allow dwarves to sleep around the big fire (when intentional fire happens :) ) whilst still having a place to keep their valued treasures. Chests could line the walls of the hall!

Or perhaps even better, you could make genuine treasure chambers. rooms fuilled with chests which actually get used by dwarves to store their treasure. (Even if that "treasure" is actually a single sock!)

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 09:31:10 am »

Nice research Aquillion, but most of those ideas are meta-bed:  you'd still have to build some sort of frame, which is, again, wood.  Still, I support any sort of item-specific upgrades, as the ability to add things like mattresses would make more sense for the sake of giving good thoughts (perhaps reduce waking from noise?).  I wholeheartedly support the idea of straw pallets for poor/migrant/settler dwarves; they could even be simple enough that an exhausted dwarf would set up the mat themselves.

The notion of carving furniture out of the cave is something I think I've subconsciously wanted, because it makes so much sense.  Perhaps only Legendary or Grand Master miners/masons could accomplish it.  A dining hall with a carved throne for the king and carved statues seems like it would give super-good thoughts, even if the stone was inferior.

Damn this game, its like Toady reached idea critical-mass, and now we are all caught in the self-fueling explosion of lead-penetrating idea rays.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 11:17:27 am »

Dwarfs might have their own bedrooms as a cultural thing. It doesn't have to be historically accurate to any human culture--dwarfs might just value their privacy *and* prefer sleeping surrounded by stone, enough that their society is strongly geared towards providing that.
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 01:31:00 pm »

The earliest beds were little more than piles of straw

Apperantly this isn't true to some people... Straw isn't a good material to lay on as opposed to even dirt.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 01:54:12 pm »

Apperantly this isn't true to some people... Straw isn't a good material to lay on as opposed to even dirt.

Do you mean dirt like a pile of dirt or dirt like a hard packed dirt floor? Other than the unclean aspect I can see a pile of dirt being more comfortable than straw - but not a hard floor.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 02:01:31 pm »

Stone and metal beds must be in, I need them for my noble's above-ceiling umm... heating to be re-usable, yes 'heating'....
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 03:21:02 pm »

Beds were restricted to nobles for reasons of economics, and dwarves do have different economics than olden days of humans.

Still, yes, more types of beds is good.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: [1] 2