Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New kinds of beds  (Read 3151 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New kinds of beds
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 11:33:57 pm »

My main reasoning behind more bed types was not economics or realism, but just an easier way to make beds and save the scarce wood in deserts and such.

It sucks to embark in a desert and need cheats to let your dwarves sleep well.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 11:47:27 pm »

This kind of gives me the idea for having certain biome-based items.

Hammocks are a great example of an item that would work better in one environment than it would in another.
For they would be your masters.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 12:35:30 am »

Strictly speaking, though, beds are not necessary.  Your dwarves will get an unhappy thought from sleeping on the floor, but if you define a barracks (which you can do from a weapon rack, even) and smooth the floor, they'll get slightly less bad thoughts from sleeping in there.  You can easily make up for the happiness loss with a Legendary Dining Room and so on.  I frequently don't bother to build bedrooms at all until the economy kicks in, because it's a bother to assign them all individually (and once it kicks in, I go on a bed-binge and produce 200 beds as fast as possible, assigning most of them to little 1x1 rooms.)

Also, your typical fortress is never going to need more than 200 beds, total.  While that sounds like a lot, you can trade for wood slowly over time -- and as long as you're careful to never waste wood on anything else (trade for potash, barrels, and so forth, and use a magma forge to make barrels and bins out of metal), and demand maximum wood from the caravan every year, you should be able to build 200 beds eventually even on a map with no wood.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:59:58 am by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 01:49:45 am »

I'd simply like to comment that when I read the title of this thread I saw: "New kinds of beards"
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 12:07:57 am »

Base bed unit should be bedding, not the frame

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 02:13:56 am »

[necromancy- didn't want to create yet another threatd about beds]

Now, this is just my way of thinking at work again, probably, but I hope it's a decent idea.

I'd like to see an assortment of beds, bed-like objects, and bedding. For example...

A new designation, 'carve rough stone bed' could be added (...Perhaps even rough stone furniture in general, but that might make things a tad easy.), prompting the miners to take an unmined (rock) square and carve it into an extremely rough facsimile of a bed.

Now, obviously, this would be extremely uncomfortable, maybe better than sleeping on the floor. Smoothing it could make it a bit better to sleep on.
Some form of bedding (Pig tails stuffed into a roughly matress-shaped cloth) could then be placed on top of it for a bed that's... passable. It still wouldn't be as good as a bed with a wooden base, I'd imagine, but at least your dwarves would have a place to sleep.

I've also heard about hammocks. These could be helpful too, but again, we presumably want to retain wood as the most important/best bed material.

Perhaps with a little thought, Animal Trainers could be used for hammocks, given a tame, intelligent variety of large spider...

Bedding could include a simple mattress, hay or a hay-like plant arranged in a large pile, or something similar (a pile of cloth or leather?)

Perhaps, in an emergency, something could be done to the floor itself to encourage comfort. A carpet or something.

I'm all for wood remaining important to dwarven happiness though... but it's midnight. Maybe I'll think of something to add later.

[/Necromancy]
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 12:55:20 pm »

Deimos56: Thread necromancy is good! Atleast IMO. It's not like we're low on threads...

I'd like the option of either carving the frame of the bed from the surrounding stone, attaching the (presumably-but not necessarily-metal) frame to a wall+floor, or having a freestanding frame (again, presumably-but not necessarily-wood).

Bedding could then be interchangeable, and also work as the basic "bedding unit", allowing dwarfs to sleep on the floor, which might give a bad thought to dwarfs with significant social ranking, especially dwarfs who are married. 

Bedding should really be important for pregnant dwarfs, atleast after they give birth.

Hammocks would be nice. I agree (Infact, I kind of wish I had one, now.). They could be woven, or produced through the use of macramé (for that matter, knotwork would be a *very* nice skill to see in the game.), and should then require either 2 trees growing next to each other, or two pillars, as a "frame". 

It would be nice to be able to send my hunters out with sleeping bags/bedrolls.

I don't really see the need for wooden frames, and I'm not sure why they're required? Metal frames work just fine in real life.

Perhaps dwarfs could have a "bedding preference" personality trait? That way, we might see the occasional dwarf that likes sleeping on/in a pile of furs, or one that actually *does* prefer to sleep on the ground.

I don't know about you, but I've got some strong opinions about where I'd prefer to sleep, and I'd consider that a part of my personality.

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 08:23:29 pm »

I like these ideas. Having different beds other than standard wood would really help. To expand on the bedroll idea, Hunters could carry tents as well as bedrolls. When they want to sleep, they construct a bed with the bedroll. If they have a Tent, they erect a 3x3 tent with a roof and only a single space inside. Of course, it could be destroyed. Having both would make it so the dwarf doesn't get unhappy thoughts. Sleeping without a tent would cause something like "Was forced to sleep outside" and sleeping without a Bedroll would give the standard sleeping on grass/dirt/mud/stone message. I'd also imagine tents would be difficult to set up on top of solid rock or bare sand.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 08:42:08 pm »

I think the lack of a tent should only give a bad thought if there's inclement weather outside. Sleeping under a starry sky on a warm summer night is hardly a hardship.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 09:38:17 pm »

Stone and metal beds must be in, I need them for my noble's above-ceiling umm... heating to be re-usable, yes 'heating'....
Off-topic. Build a 1x1 adjacent room with a bed and a metal door. Mark the door as internal. Designate the room from there.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 09:58:07 pm »

When you embark, everyone should be equiped with a tent.
Tents would only be a problem if it is wet or cold.
Tents could be packed up and taken with hunters and military etc.
Would preferably be the size of a bed.
Pages: 1 [2]