Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Calling all stones: Do it when needed, not on start!  (Read 1240 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Calling all stones: Do it when needed, not on start!
« on: April 19, 2009, 06:57:56 pm »

It would be really nice if raw materials for constructions and such were called on an as needed basis, rather than intitial set up of the construction. The way it is now, it means efficient wall building requires me to build a huge stone stockpile before I even get started, and then declare construction one piece at a time. Its generally just really annoying.

So, yeah.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all stones: Do it when needed, not on start!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 07:21:51 pm »

You can build constructions in up to 10x10 squares at a time, though it will take 100 units of building material if you build, say, a floor that large.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 07:34:41 pm »

And if you DO, then your calling stones from the bottom of the mine which are now locked in and can ONLY be moved closer by the two masons you've got working on the actual construction, despite the full stone stockpile two spaces away the masons are now ignoring, despite all the work your haulers did filling it up.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 07:43:11 pm »

This would make it hard to choose what material was used for the construction.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 08:32:34 pm »

Replace the stone designation with a material designation.  Pick up to 5 material types to build with, include a spot for "generic" wood and stone.

When it comes time to grab a new stone or log, the dwarves check the priority list, then run and grab the closest sample of whatever's at the top.(If it's generic wood, for example, they'll run for the nearest log.  If it's Microline, they'll run for the nearest piece of Microline, Blocks, they'll run for the nearest blocks made of anything, etc...)  If there's none of the top priority item, they'll run for the closest sample of whatever's next, and suspend the entire construction order if they don't find anything at all.

Bonus points, allow the player to change the materials list mid-build.  Further constructions will consult the revised list.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 08:41:08 pm »

This would make it hard to choose what material was used for the construction.

Couldn't it just work exactly the way it does now, but they grab the closest stone of that type when going to work? I don't think the designations screen should change - I like it the way it is. Just the logistics.

scale_e

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 08:48:55 am »

Glyph, what I do, is have a "quarry" area and go bat shit crazy mining it out (obsidian/marble usually).
Then when Im ready to build my replica angkor wat or whatever, I place a 1 square dump zone right in the middle of my construction area and d-b-d a few hundred stones to that area. Then simply unforbid them from the stocks menu and you are good to go.
This way, your team of haulers actually does the hauling, and your masons can focus on actually mason-ing. (in b4 that's not proper english)
It also gets around having to scroll down the material menu when building, as the nearest material will be the one you want to use.

While we are on this subject, go to Angkor Wat.