Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wild creatures with weapons?  (Read 1596 times)

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
Re: Wild creatures with weapons?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 12:48:41 am »

Don't some of the CREATURE-men sometimes equip stuff?
No, non e of them do. As for the token thing, a combination of [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM] and [EQUIPS] might lead to creatures having weapons, but it wouldn't be reliable at all.
That was what I ment, that they sometimes get stuff from stealing. Also the wiki says that merpeople sometimes have stuff but I don't know if that is true:)
Sounds like an experiment; FOR SCIENCE!
Oh, no, not again...
SCIENCE! Has found a lovely seaside spot full of Merpeople (thanks to SCIENCE! tweaking their spawn values slightly) and is now in the process of conducting experiments.
How many dwarfs have died for SCIENCE! in your fort? Its not SCIENCE! if no dwarfs die.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 01:32:01 am »

Don't some of the CREATURE-men sometimes equip stuff?
No, non e of them do. As for the token thing, a combination of [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM] and [EQUIPS] might lead to creatures having weapons, but it wouldn't be reliable at all.
That was what I ment, that they sometimes get stuff from stealing. Also the wiki says that merpeople sometimes have stuff but I don't know if that is true:)
Sounds like an experiment; FOR SCIENCE!
Oh, no, not again...
SCIENCE! Has found a lovely seaside spot full of Merpeople (thanks to SCIENCE! tweaking their spawn values slightly) and is now in the process of conducting experiments.
How many dwarfs have died for SCIENCE! in your fort? Its not SCIENCE! if no dwarfs die.
So far? None, i'm going to give the Merpeople a coupla years to see if they spontainiously generate any items.

If not, i shall start tossing nobles and items into the water, if that doesn't work then i'll up the ante and toss useful dwarves equipped with items into the water, as well as dumping items all over the beaches. I shall hurl my entire fortress into the drink if neccessary to get a Merperson to pick up an item.

SCIENCE! demands it.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 04:08:37 am »

SCIENCE! has results!

As far as i can see, Merpeople will pick up items left lying around, they won't steal stuff from your stockpile but they seem to be happy jacking the items i dumped on the beach.

So far none of them appear to have spawned with any items.

Experiments continue, FOR SCIENCE!

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 04:18:08 am »

SCIENCE! demands more dead dwarfs and kittens.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 07:06:20 am »

Well that fort is on fire.

I had well over 200 Merpeople running around that place over three or so years, they definitely jacked items i left lying around (although not if they were in a stockpile) but none of them ever spawned with any items of their own.

Also, Merpeople do not react well when you pour magma into the square of water they are currently occupying. Interestingly, neither do Dwarves.

That's enough SCIENCE! for now.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 12:58:37 pm »

I had well over 200 Merpeople running around that place over three or so years, they definitely jacked items i left lying around (although not if they were in a stockpile) but none of them ever spawned with any items of their own.
So we know what [EQUIPS] does on wild creatures then :D.

I'm going to have to try giving a creature that belongs to an entity [BIOME:] tags and see if it turns up in the wild. Alternatively I could make a wild creature a basic entity but it should have the same result.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 02:24:04 pm »

I know from my own experience that tame creatures you buy in the embark screen will start with cloths and stuff if the can equip stuff.

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 11:39:34 am »

I'm going to have to try giving a creature that belongs to an entity [BIOME:] tags and see if it turns up in the wild. Alternatively I could make a wild creature a basic entity but it should have the same result.
Well, some custom races I made started as wild, then I added an entity later - and they stopped showing up wild. So it seems having a proper entity at least prevents them from showing up wild.
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 02:29:50 am »

Darekun, unfortunately my experiments confirm what you have said.

Torin seems to be solving this problem somewhat for the next version though.
Today I set up a new entity definition for subterranean critters, so that some of the animal peoples will be able to use crude items as well as mounts again.

I will be interested to see how it all works out, I hope he will expand this to include some aboveground creatures as certain creatures like giants should have clubs and clothing.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 02:44:22 am »

Even if he doesn't, you should be able to transfer whatever entity definition he uses to aboveground biomes easily enough.
Pages: 1 [2]