Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wild creatures with weapons?  (Read 1597 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Wild creatures with weapons?
« on: April 19, 2009, 05:50:08 pm »

Is it possible to give nonentity creatures, say lizardmen, copper weapons and even leather armour? I imagine to do this I might have to make them form civilisations but I don't want them to trade or even war really. Is there any but is there any way to do this but still have them appear on maps like normal nonentity creatures do?

I have some ideas for creatures that would work out a lot better if possible and I heard it was in another topic but decided to ask here.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Wild creatures with weapons?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 06:12:42 pm »

As far as I know, wild creatures can not really weild weapons without becoming a civilization.

You could improvise and give creatures body parts which are weapon names and do the same amount of damage an ordinary weapons does.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 08:19:51 pm »

Improvising and giving creatures body-part weapons is the closest i can think.

Magma Men drop an Obsidian stone when dead, so i'm guessing it should be possible to make the wild critter with a 'copper sword' actually drop a copper sword when it dies. Not sure though.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 09:33:27 pm »

Yes, you can certainly have a creature drop a weapon when it dies.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 09:35:55 pm »

There you go, there's your solution then.

It's not perfect, but Dorfs will be able to destroy the 'copper sword' limb, so it's pretty close.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 09:36:33 pm »

I get what OP is saying though.

Dark Gnomes should have clothes and weapons, for example.

Obvious dead creatures can drop just about anything, Masterwork Iron Statues come from dead Iron Men, according to the wiki.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 11:08:58 pm »

Certainly an interesting solution to the problem.

Its a pity we cant let creatures steal and wield weapons from fallen foes where appropriate, ability to grasp, some intelligence etc. It would be nice if we were able to give certain creatures weapons by default or weapon preferences(when it comes to stealing them), giants with clubs as an example.

I get what OP is saying though.

Dark Gnomes should have clothes and weapons, for example.

Indeed, many creatures should have the intelligence to use weapons, tools and clothing.

If this hasn't already been suggested before I might suggest it myself.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 01:25:55 am »

Hm, well, first thing you could do is add the [EQUIPS] token to all sorts of creature types. Worst thing that happens is nothing. (From a certain perspective, worst thing that happens is a dragon knifes all your dwarves with an +enormous steel corkscrew+, but I think that'd be awesome to see at least twice.) I'm not sure what they'd equip without an entity def, though… maybe anything? If anyone tries it, please add it to the wiki page, of course :J

Also, you may be able to specify an entity with no biomes, but leave the biomes and stuff as normal for the creature type, and have them spawn as wild but with gear selected. Having an entity may prevent them from spawning wild, though. (If this works, you can just use one impossible entity with multiple creature tokens in it.)

Hm, you may be able to specify an entity with no settlement types, so it's just a bunch of drunk hooligans with no campfire, as it were. It may refuse to place any civs for it, though.

You can set grasp on wild animals, though; look at raccoons.
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 02:24:12 am »

Don't some of the CREATURE-men sometimes equip stuff?
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 02:36:17 am »

No, non e of them do. As for the token thing, a combination of [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM] and [EQUIPS] might lead to creatures having weapons, but it wouldn't be reliable at all.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 03:12:41 am »

You can get creatures with [EQUIPS] and grasping hands to pick up items by skewering them with the item and have them take it back out of their own body.

Otherwise, wait till next version and creatures with weapons is back in.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 03:13:37 am »

No, non e of them do. As for the token thing, a combination of [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM] and [EQUIPS] might lead to creatures having weapons, but it wouldn't be reliable at all.
That was what I ment, that they sometimes get stuff from stealing. Also the wiki says that merpeople sometimes have stuff but I don't know if that is true:)
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 06:57:35 am »

That was what I ment, that they sometimes get stuff from stealing. Also the wiki says that merpeople sometimes have stuff but I don't know if that is true:)

Sounds like an experiment; FOR SCIENCE!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 06:23:34 pm »

Oh, no, not again...
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 12:32:06 am »

Oh, no, not again...
SCIENCE! Has found a lovely seaside spot full of Merpeople (thanks to SCIENCE! tweaking their spawn values slightly) and is now in the process of conducting experiments.
Pages: [1] 2