Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Turn off masterpieces  (Read 1463 times)

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
Turn off masterpieces
« on: October 10, 2006, 06:05:00 pm »

There should be an option that prevents a crafter from making a masterpiece item, especially in cases where there's a good chance of it getting destroyed in a freak accident, or possibly in the process of being used properly (like a suit of armor).  That way I wouldn't have to put my furniture stockpile behind a door to make sure all my legendary mason's masterpieces don't get destroyed, and I don't have to keep track of all my legendary bowyer's masterpiece crossbows.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turn off masterpieces
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 06:31:00 pm »

But masterpiece crossbows are so amazingly good that its not even funny. Well worth the risk.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 06:43:00 pm »

masterpiece bins are horribly bad =[

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 06:59:00 pm »

Alternately, if you have a professional or better -whoever- you should be able to request that they make standard, -, +, *, etc quality items.

This way you dont have all your "low rent housing" filled with superb (*) /exceptional (3-bar) quality items.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Axecleaver2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 07:09:00 pm »

I think the penalty to a dwarf's psyche when a masterwork is lost, should be reduced. Armor/weaps are good examples, maybe differentiate by item type. It should cause some unhappiness, but maybe not total insanity.

I think a MP wall engraving being tunneled through should still make them flip out -- first time this happened I had to give Toady a tip of the hat, nice touch.

Mud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 07:23:00 pm »

I'd say dwarves would probably be rather proud of their masterwork weapons and armor "dying" gloriously in battle. Sure, they might feel regret at its loss, but that's more into bad thought terrirtory than insanity.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 08:00:00 pm »

What'd be really nice is if they only get the unhappy though of the loss of a master peice when they either:

1. See the destruction for themselves. If a masterpeice engraving is in some far-off area of the fortress, it could be destroyed and the creator would never know about it -- until the engraver passed by.

2. Are told about it from a job-related dwarf. If a statue is broken, then a fellow mason would tell the creator of the masterpeice of the tragedy. Masterpeice armor /weapon destruction could be told about by the book keeper, sheriff /captain of the gaurd, and /or the soldier who broke the equipment to the metalsmith who made the masterpeice equipment.

This way masterpeices could always be allowed to be created, but their destruction would only effect the dwarf when the dwarf is actually told about their destruction, or sees it for themselves.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 01:20:00 am »

that's just delaying the inevitable, isn't it?

ps.. how you do destroy an engraving? (aside from mining the wall?)

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 12:27:00 am »

I believe it's just mining the wall.

I'd think that having the news about the destruction of your masterpiece being broken to you by a respected colleague would lessen the blow.  And, of course, knowing that a legendary weaponcrafter will go insane if he comes in contact with the Captain of the Guard or whoever will cause many players to do something elaborate involving locked doors, or kill the Captain.

Also: Maybe it should have something to do with the number of artifacts you've made.  My mason has been legendary for going on three years now, and has been on repeat furniture-crafting tasks ever since he became legendary.  I'll put him on a repeat task, go and micromanage my deep mines or my farms or the engravings in my newest noble's bedroom and every minute or so get a "'George' Shiltobul has created a masterpiece!" message (once I got my fourth dwarf named "Lokum", I started giving my important dwarves easy-to-remember nicknames so I could find them easily in a list; this has also led to my custom of giving my moodiest and most tantrum-prone dwarf the nickname "Jeffy"; it's a long story that involves a trapper with a broken leg).  If you made seventy or eighty pieces of furniture that could be considered masterpieces and found out that that masterpiece cabinet that wound up in some poor schlub craftsdwarf's bedroom got broken (because I don't have a bookkeeper yet so no one pays rent), would you be driven into a killing frenzy?  Hell, you probably wouldn't even care; I mean, you've had the divinely-inspired artifact that you were the conduit for the creation of cradled in your arms like an infant for three years (note that it's a very heavy solid marble throne), so does it really matter what the hell happened to the eleventh masterpiece cabinet you made?

"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 04:33:00 am »

One other thing that could eventually help here:

Right now, I think, detailed item damage isn't in yet.  This means that things are either destroyed or not destroyed, which in turn makes the masterpiece destruction penalty either nonexistent or horribly crippling.

Once more detailed fates for these things are in, though, it will probably be extremely rare for masterworks to be completely destroyed...  especially given their high durability.  In most high fantasy a masterwork weapon might break, sure, but that wouldn't make the smith flip out; it would make them demand that it be brought back to the smithy so they can repair it.  If it can't be brought back or repaired, then they might flip out, but a masterwork weapon being totally and utterly destroyed beyond any hope of repair should probably be vanishingly rare.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 11:52:00 am »

that would depend on the type of item it is... won't it?

in fact, i wouldn't be surprised if certain masterpieces can be easier to break... all those delicate bits and bobs can't be that strong... compared to a solid chunk of stone/metal

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 04:28:00 pm »

Masterwork weapons and armor would be of the kind that would be repairable.  And of the kind that the smith shouldn't flip out about: IT'S GOING TO SEE BATTLE.  Battle = Death of People and Stuff.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 12:46:00 am »

Personally I side with the poster that said it's a lil weird for a dwarf to flip out because the 11th masterpiece cabinet they made got destroyed. Why would they care?

If a masterpiece was a once-in-a-lifetime result it would make sense, but it seems to me that most dwarves able to make masterpieces will churn them out with regularity.

Maybe once a dwarf hits Legendary in the crafting discipline involved they'd become immune to going mad from having their masterpieces destroyed?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 04:42:00 am »

No, no no...

If the dwarf has made an artifact, he won't go nuts from masterpiece whatevers.

If he hasn't made one, he does.

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 08:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Devastator:
<STRONG>No, no no...

If the dwarf has made an artifact, he won't go nuts from masterpiece whatevers.

If he hasn't made one, he does.</STRONG>

Are you saying that's true, or are you suggesting that?

Pages: [1] 2