Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bizarre Occurence; AKA 'The Sky is Falling!!!'  (Read 1242 times)

Kaolix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bizarre Occurence; AKA 'The Sky is Falling!!!'
« on: April 19, 2009, 05:38:52 pm »

ok, I just started playing DF after TinyPirate's Tutorials made me want to, and I was testing out the accelerated version of the game from This Thread with the Mayday tileset, and I randomly got a cave-in message I wasn't expected. After some brief terror, worrying about what precious part of my fort I might have screwed up, I inspected the disaster area, only to realise it was outside, nowhere near any of the digging I was doing, and the cave-in had LANDED on what I thought was an expanse of flat land. I then noticed this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Directly above this are a couple of downwards slopes which do not have corresponding upwards ones, and an area of black space (that isn't entitled 'Open Space' OR 'Unknown') which is slightly larger than the black spots shown here.
Now, Is this a 'feature' that I was previously unaware of, or some horrendous bug? (Guessing the second, but want to know if it's ever been seen before, either)

Incidentally, in a similar 'air randomly deciding to act like solid ground' moment, both myself and a friend have both noticed our Dwarves have a tendency to walk over a brook without a care in the world (note: the 'brook' tiles above, not the ones that are actually containing water). Is this a previously known bug? if not, I will repost it in the thread linked above, as I have not noticed it occurring before I used that version, and both myself and my friend who also has this issue are using that version.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bizarre Occurence; AKA 'The Sky is Falling!!!'
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 05:55:18 pm »

First of all, that's a bug, but try experimenting with it.
Second, creatures can walk over brooks, it's perfectly normal, channel them to make it a normal water tile, if you want.
Edit: Also, post the save, I want to see the "Unknown" tile.

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 05:59:17 pm »

Walking over a brook is completely normal.  Brook tiles (as you said, not the ones containing the water) are treated as ground-you can build on them, walk on them, and do anything else normal on them.  You can also fish on them, I think.

And about the whole 'Unknown space' and random cave-in thing, I've got no idea what's going on.  You might want to move this thread to the DF Bug Reports area.  If it is a bug, it might have something to do with any settings in your .txt files that have been modified; if you haven't modded the game at all, then it is probably the fault of the game itself.  A space called 'unknown' seems like the game's placeholder for something that's not supposed to be there.  Maybe you could try a few things to see if you can reproduce this bug.

Also, if you want to act as dwarvenly as possible, you should try experimenting with it (make a copy of your save first).  Build a floor on it and remove the floor, designate it for channeling, make a garbage dump zone on it and set items for dumping, put water or magma on it, recruiting a dwarf and stationing them on it, etc.  See what happens.  And if you can, throw some elves into it.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 06:10:58 pm by Zancor Mezoran »
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 06:02:38 pm »

You said the exact thing I said, but in 3 times the space.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 07:11:46 pm »

Sounds like your game exploded. Either you modded it to death somehow, or Toady's cat has struck again, and he didn't notice.

Kaolix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:17:21 pm »

Figured as much. Quick two more questions: 1) What's the logic behind being able to build/walk/everything on top of brooks? it seems kinda . . . . odd to me.
2) Where can I host a savefile? I very rarely need to upload files onto the net, and can't remember any free hosting sites.

Will be experimenting with the unknown shortly. Evidence so far suggests Dwarves won't walk through it (I just saw what looked like a Dwarf pathing around it when through would have been quicker).

Game is unmodded save for the Mayday tileset (which I copied over from my TinyPirate Tutorial Download version of the game) I simply copied the raw/graphics and data/art folders into the faster DF version, and replaced the init.txt with the TP Tutorial version one. (Note: Replaced the entire init.txt rather than just the [graphics] part of it, due to lazyness. This is the only thing I did that was even slightly out of the ordinary, but I doubt that could have this effect.)

The only tasks that may have been going on anywhere near where this happened were woodcutting/plant gathering, and POSSIBLY the removal of a workshop (which was about 10-20 tiles to the left of the farm in the pic)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 07:32:51 pm »

Brooks represent small shallow rivers (look up Brook on wikipedia), being small shallow rivers IRL you can fairly easily walk across them (they're like, ankle deep.)

So DF emulates this by making a river that has no creature fish in it and then putting 'grates' over the top, which are called Brook tiles. It's not perfect, but it's close enough.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 09:03:42 pm »

I've never seen anything remotely like that. More than likely, it's some kind of unique glitch that will never happen again, but to be safe, pass the link to the save you upload to Toady One. He might be interested in it.
!!&!!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 09:59:23 pm »

can you mine it out and make the Throne of Enigmatic Horrors?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Kaolix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 10:10:34 am »

Save file uploaded here.

So far tests show it to be somewhat boring. Can't dig it, can't channel it, can't walk through it (so far). Considering trying to flow some liquid through it, tho the magma pipe is fairly far away and I expect it won't do much anyway. Main test I can think of doing now is caving it in again, wonder what'll happen if I drop it down another level?

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 12:20:45 pm »

1) What's the logic behind being able to build/walk/everything on top of brooks? it seems kinda . . . . odd to me.

Think of a river tile like a bucket of water. When you drop something in the bucket, it will sink to the bottom of the water.

A brook is like filling up that bucket with rocks/pebbles then filling it with water. There's still a lot of water in the bucket, but when you drop something in, it will rest on top of the rocks instead of sinking.
DF version 0.34.05 Lazy Newb Pack