Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What are the requirements for a bookkeeper to become availalbe?  (Read 1045 times)

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I have been following TinyPirate's (excellent) tutorial series, and have got to the part about assigning a bookkeeper. However, that does not appear on my "n" list. Furthermore, all the jobs there (hamlet manager, treasurer, hamlet broker and expedition leader) are all taken by the same guy. The only vacant office is Sheriff.

So, what do I need to do to enable a bookkeeper?

thanks

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: What are the requirements for a bookkeeper to become availalbe?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 01:45:13 pm »

The bookeeper is currently the treasurer, his job title changes depending on your wealth.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 02:12:37 pm »

The bookeeper is currently the treasurer, his job title changes depending on your wealth.

Truth. He started out as a bookkeeper. Later he will become "hoardmaster"
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 02:20:00 pm »

Woohoo! HOARDMASTER!!!!!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 02:23:31 pm »

Ah okay, so it's automatically taking stock counts etc? I have numbers, but they all have ? by them. Does this matter?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 02:30:17 pm »

Ah okay, so it's automatically taking stock counts etc? I have numbers, but they all have ? by them. Does this matter?

Well the bookkeeper/treasurer/hoardmaster has an option where you can set how accurate you want it to be. I like to keep tabs on EVERYTHING so I always tell the bookkeeper to calculate those things really well. Highest precision... this means he spends ALOT of time in his office, which is why it's a good idea to pump new blood into the management. A mayor/trader/bookkeeper will have so much on his hands that he might keep a liaison waiting for MONTHS (related: can you have more than one diplomat visiting your fortress?) and he might be busy updating stockpile records/meeting with diplomats/whatever so he misses the merchants and you can't trade.
I have an art blog now.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 02:37:59 pm »

(related: can you have more than one diplomat visiting your fortress?)
Indeed you can, the ones waiting for your mayor will usually wait in your meeting area from what I saw, it's rather... funny.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 02:44:34 pm »

(related: can you have more than one diplomat visiting your fortress?)
Indeed you can, the ones waiting for your mayor will usually wait in your meeting area from what I saw, it's rather... funny.

So if the dwarven diplomat arrives in ... let's say Autumn. What if I keep him waiting until NEXT autumn?
I have an art blog now.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 02:45:02 pm »

I have no earthly idea.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 02:51:59 pm »

A mayor/trader/bookkeeper will have so much on his hands that he might keep a liaison waiting for MONTHS (related: can you have more than one diplomat visiting your fortress?) and he might be busy updating stockpile records/meeting with diplomats/whatever so he misses the merchants and you can't trade.

I usually assign one manager/bookkeeper and one leader/trader. The former spends all his time in his tiny office, and the latter just loafs around the meeting hall, leveling up his social skills. My current mayor can swindle a caravan so smoothly, they leave happy with no profit at all.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 03:08:43 pm »

My current mayor is about triple legendary.  Appraiser, bookkeeping, and herbalist. Damn close on wood cutting too.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 03:32:41 pm »

So if the dwarven diplomat arrives in ... let's say Autumn. What if I keep him waiting until NEXT autumn?

I had a diplomat waiting for 16 months once when the expedition leader was injured. He didn't go insane or anything, just kept waiting next to his bed until he recovered.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 03:39:03 pm »

I had a diplomat waiting for 16 months once when the expedition leader was injured. He didn't go insane or anything, just kept waiting next to his bed until he recovered.

No new diplomat arrived?

Any caravan?
I have an art blog now.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 04:11:32 pm »

No new diplomat arrived?

Any caravan?

Caravan will arrive as if you didn't order any specific goods. This happened to me before I understood the nobles system and my full-time miner was my expedition leader/etc. I wondered why a diplomat spent the better part of two years wandering around my mineshafts but it's DF so I didn't give it too much thought.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 04:32:51 pm »

Well the bookkeeper/treasurer/hoardmaster has an option where you can set how accurate you want it to be. I like to keep tabs on EVERYTHING so I always tell the bookkeeper to calculate those things really well. Highest precision... this means he spends ALOT of time in his office, which is why it's a good idea to pump new blood into the management. A mayor/trader/bookkeeper will have so much on his hands that he might keep a liaison waiting for MONTHS (related: can you have more than one diplomat visiting your fortress?) and he might be busy updating stockpile records/meeting with diplomats/whatever so he misses the merchants and you can't trade.

I've found that if you assign someone to the job full-time at the highest precision early enough, the work's done when you make astronomical gains in the amount of junk around.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: [1] 2