Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Traps and Horses... will it work?  (Read 509 times)

En3rgy_MAX

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Got dwarves?
    • View Profile
Animal Traps and Horses... will it work?
« on: April 19, 2009, 01:16:41 pm »

Hey there people, I've been playing DF for about half a year now and yet I still don't know everything about DF. There's just SO MUCH to the game. One major thing I don't know, is how to capture animals. I know I can set up an animal trap and put some meat in it and capture some rat. But that doesn't do me much or any thing out of it. What I really want to catch are some horses that have been walking around my region. Could anyone give me any way to capture them? Or do I have to trade for a caged horse from the merchants?

Tizer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:awesome top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Traps and Horses... will it work?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 01:18:33 pm »

To catch verman you use a animal trap to catch animals (things you see on the (u) menu) use a cage trap. I know it seem a bit counterintuitive. but it works.

En3rgy_MAX

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Got dwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 01:22:23 pm »

Alright, let me try that out then.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 01:32:29 pm »

Horses move in herds.
This means that if one horse falls into a trap, other horses will be close to that trap. A cluster of traps in a chokepoint would be a good idea ... but chokepoints are hard to find out on fields where horses roam.

You COULD set up a cluster of cagetraps somewhere where you've seen the animals frequent. I've seen them return to specific areas more than once ... or you could set up a cluster, draft civilians and try to scare the horses into the traps. Horses are nice so they won't fight back unless your dwarves catch up with them.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

En3rgy_MAX

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Got dwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 01:43:23 pm »

You COULD set up a cluster of cagetraps somewhere where you've seen the animals frequent. I've seen them return to specific areas more than once ... or you could set up a cluster, draft civilians and try to scare the horses into the traps. Horses are nice so they won't fight back unless your dwarves catch up with them.

Hm, that's more specific, no offense Tizer. Okay, I'll put up some cage traps right now and wait for the horses to come back, because they left through the south. But there are about ten groundhogs which I could tether around my entrances, once I tame and catch them, of course. =]

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:56:44 pm »

Hey, don't knock groundhogs!  Animals such as that will slow down a goblin charge - they stop to butcher the little blighters while you get your fortress buttoned down and geared up.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 09:19:30 pm »

try a trap fence, it takes alot of time but it will probably get just about all the animals you want.

Then conscript soldiers to scare them into the traps.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:11:52 pm »

I found a great box canyon that I carved out and can chase them into without too much trouble (station two blocking squads of 1 each on either side to shy them to the middle).  Put a wide bridge there wiht a moat, and then either use it as live weapons practice or seed it with traps, depending what's in there.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 11:39:32 pm »

For capturing animals, the best option I've found is to make a rough circle of cage traps around the fort, and stick one or two in major pinch points.

After a while, you get a breeding population going with a male and a few females chained up somewhere convinient.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.