Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traders just leave all their stuff?  (Read 694 times)

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Traders just leave all their stuff?
« on: April 19, 2009, 10:16:37 am »

First off--I am not a complete newb :)

I did not seize the goods (even by accident--I only selected a few things, traded, and then took back my empty bins and told my trader he was no longer needed).

These were the first merchants to ever arrive at this fort. The surroundings are "calm" and there have been no ambushes, etc, so I'm pretty sure they weren't attacked... nothing in announcements about an attack.

Got the message they were leaving soon, and then a bit later that they had packed up and left. I notice my dwarves all running up and down to the depot. I looked, and the merchants seem to have left ALL of the items they had. I'm running 40d11... anyone know whats up with this?

(Maybe this should go in bug reports, but I wanted to make sure there is nothing I could have done that would legitimately cause this)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traders just leave all their stuff?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:23:27 am »

Maybe you forbid the trader's stuff?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 10:25:57 am »

They'll do that if you deconstruct the depot out from under them, but I've never heard of them just dropping everything and leaving. The wiki also says that traders will flee cave-ins, leaving all their crap behind. Was there a cave-in around there?
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:29:32 am »

Nope, none forbidden.

Nope, no cave-in... it was built on the surface, and I haven't had any cave-ins at all this game... this was during my first august.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 10:59:51 am »

Oh, and I just noticed a long line of dropped stuff near the edge of the map... not sure if the elven caravan that just arrived dropped a bunch of stuff on the way in (this is the 2nd caravan to show up this game, it is spring now) or whether the first caravan dropped more stuff on their way out... weird.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 12:21:18 pm »

I think I figured it out--there are resus macaques on this map. I didn't run into them until after this stuff happened... maybe the traders got scared off by them?

Zeg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 01:23:47 pm »

I had this happen once when I accidentally forbid the trade depot by forbidding everything it was made of while I was in the stocks screen. Forbidding all of one type of rock or metal is nice, you just have to remember things you already made of those items will stop functioning if you do heh.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 01:29:21 pm »

I think I figured it out--there are resus macaques on this map. I didn't run into them until after this stuff happened... maybe the traders got scared off by them?

They attack people and steal from them so yeah this probably had something to do with it.
I.. I am not sure though. Did the monkeys KILL anyone? I don't think any traders have turned and run away for me ... not unless they met goblins and sustained casualties.

In fact I think they were attacked by ambushers once and the caravan guards dispatched them all. Doesn't seem logical that monkeys would scare them so much ... but what do I know?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 03:09:29 pm »

I had this happen once when I accidentally forbid the trade depot by forbidding everything it was made of while I was in the stocks screen. Forbidding all of one type of rock or metal is nice, you just have to remember things you already made of those items will stop functioning if you do heh.

I've had that happen when I do that too, but I didn't do that this time.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 03:45:06 pm »

Mark massive amounts of crap for dumping?  Accidentally hit the trade depot with a d b d?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 11:50:42 pm »

Last time there were monkeys on my map, there were about 30 of them hanging outside my depot... three years later and I've caught both surviving males since the caravan was guarded with machine gunners.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 09:58:57 am »

I've seen *Elven* traders flee from harmless wildlife like raccoons, but the dwarf traders generally have to sustain an actual injury before they drop ballast and flee..