Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Challenges  (Read 3323 times)

Jakkarra

Challenges
« on: April 19, 2009, 01:52:38 am »

ive decided to make a thread for people to suggest challenges on, ill periodically update this here list with interesting challenges people have suggested.

Challenges!;
=======================================================================================================================

Urist's Run

any dwarf who reaches a certain age (infeasible at this time) or, for simplicity, agility,(or toughness or whatever) dies, Period.         Jakkarra

Noah's ARK

Build a giant boat-shaped fortress made entirely from wood and then place two of every animal on said Arkfort and flood the world.     DWeird

300 Year Challenge.

Build an Armok Megafort on a 16x16 map with at least one of every feature. I await your 3D Dwarf Fort pics in 2011.    Kardos

The engineer challenge.

The challenge: Build a fortress near magma. Use no military but only mechanisms to defend yourself from attacks. Reach population of 100.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
    Aspgren

Asylum Challange.

One Quater of your dwarfs have to be keept locked away in a state where they will tantrum at any moment or are close to going Berserk.
     ThtblovesDF 

Stairway to heaven.

Make a gold stair case into the sky. Have a vat of global bombardment magma. Dwarves must live on the level above the vat.    sonerohi

No Ore? No problem!

Run away from you problems by digging a huge hole, building at the bottom of it, and flooding the hole to form a lake     Barbarossa the seal god

"Indoors"

Build walls around every edge of the map, all the way up to the top Z-level, then pave the sky, enclosing your ENTIRE ZONE inside one ginormous cube.  Excavate everything outside your cube down the the bottom Z-level. You are free to leave one drawbridge to the outside world to allow trade.  (Bonus silly points for building the walls/ceiling such that you're living inside a gargantuan d6.)    Mount

Pilsbury DoughDwarfs

Give your dwarfs [DAMBLOCK:-100], [SIZE:1] and [SPEED:2000], doing all of this should make your dwarfs infinitely weaker than normal vannila dwarfs

Don't forget to mod in super mini equipment for your new dwarfs!   Creamcorn

Challenge: Computer Killer
Requirements:
    Shad0wyOne

Invasion challenge

=======================================================================================================================

Try to format them like that, and ill Copy/paste 'em into the list. ill put your avatar name there too.

bonus points for completing a 5-year fortress with a challenge.

do not post challenges that are on the wiki. under pain of +pig tail sock+.

Love, jakkarra
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 12:59:18 pm by Jakkarra »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Challenges
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 02:01:34 am »

Wrong section.

Jakkarra

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 02:07:58 am »

bugger, i shall remedy this situation.

thanks for the catch inaluct.

Love, jakkarra

Jakkarra

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 05:25:00 am »

soooooooo, noone has a nice chalenge they just thought up?

DWeird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 11:18:31 am »

Noah's ark.

#1 Build a ship-shaped fort made entirely out of wood with two of every animal.

#2 Flood the world.

Jakkarra

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 11:21:34 am »

nice, exactly the type of inane thing the list requires :D adding...

love,

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 12:31:28 pm »

300 Year Challenge.
Build an Armok Megafort on a 16x16 map with at least one of every feature.
I await your 3D Dwarf Fort pics in 2011.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 12:48:37 pm »

How about some that are not just a gigantic waste of time?

Assylum Challange.

One Quater of your dwarfs have to be keept locked away in a state where they will tantrum at any moment or are close to going Berserk.

Give them names like "Joker" "Dr. Doom" and therelike. Keep them alive by droping food in there cells evry now and then. Have jail-brawls.

Let a Batman beat up joker.

Antlion Fort.

See Thread;

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=34024.0

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 12:49:23 pm »

The engineer challenge.

The challenge: Build a fortress near magma. Use no military but only mechanisms to defend yourself from attacks. Reach population of 100.

The rules:
You may NOT use locked doors to keep sieging enemies out.
You may NOT make traps that only affect enemies. (like a hallway filled with a dozen cagetraps) simply put: your dwarves should be able to set off the traps if you're not careful.
You MAY use ballistas and such to fire at your enemies.
You MAY employ a sheriff and ONE guard.
You may NOT draft civilians to make them fight in a pinch. If your traps and clever water/magma mechanisms have failed your dwarves will accept their fate and be slaughtered where they stand.
You may NOT draft civilians so you can order them to a safe place, even if they don't fight.
You MAY employ and use animals as an army.
You may NOT abandon your fortress NO MATTER how bad it gets.

Bonus points:
Overly complicated traps with a high failure rate give points.
Making as many items (walls and floors included) out of iron as possible gives bonus points.
Including as many dangerous features as possible in your fortress. Only magma is mandatory but a chasm filled with angry trolls isn't just fun - it gives you bonus points!

I think that covers it. War dogs are allowed because in the face of goblin invaders they don't really pose much of a difficulty.

Edit: Whoops. I copy-pasted this from a notepad I had lying around before reading the thread thoroughly. Sorry it's not your preferred format but I think I'll leave it like this regardless.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 12:56:47 pm »

Stairway to heaven.

Make a gold stair case into the sky. Have a vat of global bombardment magma. Dwarves must live on the level above the vat.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 03:31:54 pm »

No Ore? No problem!

Run away from you problems by digging a huge hole, building at the bottom of it, and flooding the hole to form a lake.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 05:37:17 pm »

"Indoors"

Build walls around every edge of the map, all the way up to the top Z-level, then pave the sky, enclosing your ENTIRE ZONE inside one ginormous cube.  Excavate everything outside your cube down the the bottom Z-level. You are free to leave one drawbridge to the outside world to allow trade.  (Bonus silly points for building the walls/ceiling such that you're living inside a gargantuan d6.)

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 06:12:19 pm »

This is mine, from another topic.
Challenge: Computer Killer
Requirements:
  • Population Limit must be stupidly high (99999999 or something)
  • Invasions, temperature, and weather must be ON
  • You must not slaughter any tamed animals (Catsplosion :D)
  • NO purposeful killing of dwarves or tamed animals
  • 5x5, 6x6, 5x6, or 6x5 area
Everything else is up to you!
Good luck with having your computer, you know, NOT explode/catch on fire.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 06:23:17 pm »

Pilsbury Doughboy Dwarfs Challenge

Give your dwarfs [DAMBLOCK:-100], [SIZE:1] and [SPEED:2000], doing all of this should make your dwarfs infinitely weaker than normal vannila dwarfs

Don't forget to mod in super mini equipment for your new dwarfs!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 07:24:55 pm »

I'll have to add.  I just genned a 65 z-level 16x16 map.  On my machine at least, you need damn near 8GB of ram to get that through 3Dwarf Visualizer.  ..... I only have 4GB of ram.  ; ;
Luckily one of my machines is 64bit Vista, so I'll be ordering more ram shortly.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:10:44 am by Kardos »
Pages: [1] 2 3