Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I am not pleased, Dwarf Fortress Forum  (Read 3590 times)

Saer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Axeman
    • View Profile
I am not pleased, Dwarf Fortress Forum
« on: April 18, 2009, 10:59:10 pm »

It is not your fault, Dwarf Fortress Forum, but rather my own.
I just began recently my first fortress, or, well, it is my first fortress that I designed.
Before this, I played through the walkthrough tutorial someone made here

It began quite well, I had everything organized, the perfect location, everything.
I discovered a magma pipe very early on, while I was trying to build a production layer in my fortress. I planned everything I build that point on on that.

So, today, I turn on Dwarf Fortress load up my save, 'My Dwarf Fortress' and I work on it for a while, about an hour or so. But in this hour or so, I built my living quarters, all of my flood gates (as precautions for the magma, also I have a small pond I was going to put somewhat underground), and my dining room. When I finally have the courage to open the magma flood gate and start making my magma production area, BAM an error pops up in my face, and Dwarf Fortress just turns off (I don't remember what it was, it just happened, and I am angry >=-O)

I reload it, and it is basically all my hard work gone, and the work was done from when I loaded it before my hard work.

Can someone please say some encouraging words? or maybe a way I could get my hard work back? since this wasn't really losing, and it wasn't very fun... ='(

Oh, and if some people want to say worse situations to make mine seem insignificant, go right ahead.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: I am not pleased, Dwarf Fortress Forum
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 11:02:30 pm »

Well I was bitten by a stray dog in the nuts once.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 11:03:55 pm »

Well, your progress is pretty much gone, but i had a similar problem whitch made me so angry i quit the game for like a month. F#$CKING power went out.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Tibbles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 11:05:59 pm »

Playing the Legendary Lands Mod.
Have a millitary of 20 Legendaries.
100 Population.
Frozen wind shows up.
Everyone dies in a minute.
GODAMMIT KOBOLDS

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 11:07:20 pm »

I was playing a succession game once. I was in winter, and it had taken me quite a while to finish. However, as I get onto my dying computer hoping the old girl could handle another round, she died. Completely and utterly. I had to buy a completely new computer, as all the parts were just too old.

And while working on Healedabby, I had the second floor of the perimeter wall done on the East side before realizing I was one tile off. Being a DF player, I had to fix it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 11:09:07 pm »

Well, your progress is pretty much gone, but i had a similar problem whitch made me so angry i quit the game for like a month. F#$CKING power went out.
For a month? Damn, I'd be angry too.

I've had a similar experience as Duke, except with my chosen megaproject: twin 3D towers.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Saer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Axeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 11:20:55 pm »

When I rebuild what I had before, should I still open the flood gates (after I save of course)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 11:24:06 pm »

Yes. It is the only way to be sure.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 11:29:43 pm »

BAM an error pops up in my face, and Dwarf Fortress just turns off (I don't remember what it was, it just happened, and I am angry >=-O)

Somewhere someone suggests using <ctl+alt+del> to quick-close the program - but somewhere ~else~ it's noted that that can cause fatal bugs. 

Been there. 

If you enjoyed the game before, you will again.  It's a learning curve - just not the one you expected.  (Who does?)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 12:06:25 am »

In an extremely impressive fort with foodstores to last all 200 dwarves for the next eighty years, a dining room decked filled with masterwork engravings with gold and platinum tables and chairs, with nineteen seperate waterfalls throughout the fort and a magmafall by my depot, with adamantine clad champions and a field of iron debris and goblin corpses, I was bested. By some miracle of Armok, a lone titan stormed my fort, and killed 3 champions at the gate. The rest of my army was off duty, sparring in the barracks, getting drunk. Then, the titan wrecked two levers and a floodgate. Guess what they controlled? If you guessed the valve to shut off the flow off magma, the hatch that lets magma drain, and the floodgate leading to the emergency drain room, you are a winner. The problem? The room was designed to hold magma on the condition that no new magma was coming in, and the drainage hatch merely needed to be fixed. It was not built to handle the pressure created by a pump nine stories up. Needless to say, the pressure caused it to flow up and into my fortress. Swiftly. Funnily enough, the titan remained in the only room completely immune to the magma. I salute you good titan.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 05:48:20 am »

In an extremely impressive fort with foodstores to last all 200 dwarves for the next eighty years, a dining room decked filled with masterwork engravings with gold and platinum tables and chairs, with nineteen seperate waterfalls throughout the fort and a magmafall by my depot, with adamantine clad champions and a field of iron debris and goblin corpses, I was bested. By some miracle of Armok, a lone titan stormed my fort, and killed 3 champions at the gate. The rest of my army was off duty, sparring in the barracks, getting drunk. Then, the titan wrecked two levers and a floodgate. Guess what they controlled? If you guessed the valve to shut off the flow off magma, the hatch that lets magma drain, and the floodgate leading to the emergency drain room, you are a winner. The problem? The room was designed to hold magma on the condition that no new magma was coming in, and the drainage hatch merely needed to be fixed. It was not built to handle the pressure created by a pump nine stories up. Needless to say, the pressure caused it to flow up and into my fortress. Swiftly. Funnily enough, the titan remained in the only room completely immune to the magma. I salute you good titan.

Your fortress was called the Death Star?

"Oh, no, not really. Nothing can happen to it. Elite crew, fortifications and all that.. There's just this.. tiny hatch."

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 06:34:28 am »

Story

"Oh, no, not really. Nothing can happen to it. Elite crew, fortifications and all that.. There's just this.. tiny hatch."
For some reason I have no problem imagining a DF player carving a large sphere out of a mountain and then putting a magma cannon somewhere on it.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 07:31:44 am »

Story

For some reason I have no problem imagining a DF player carving a large sphere out of a mountain and then putting a magma cannon somewhere on it.

Best, mega-project, ever.

Someone do this, now.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 07:35:33 am »

will try to do it but im not to good at circles.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 07:47:33 am »

Playing the Legendary Lands Mod.
Have a millitary of 20 Legendaries.
100 Population.
Frozen wind shows up.
Everyone dies in a minute.

Yeah, that's fixed in the new release and should never happen.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games
Pages: [1] 2 3