Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving doors?  (Read 1411 times)

OpT1mUs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Moving doors?
« on: April 18, 2009, 10:47:21 pm »

Hello, almost complete newb here...
It happened to me , at least couple of times, that some of my placed doors moved to one of the adjacent tiles and stayed there.
e.g.

Code: [Select]
Before:
----D----

After:
---- ----
     D

What is the cause of this?

I had to dump them and the place them again...

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moving doors?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 10:50:00 pm »

Looks like what happens when the door is deconstructed and you have no stockpile for it. Are you accidentally deconstructing the doors?
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 10:53:20 pm »

Possibly, this is caused by removing the door (q-x) and not having any free space in a furniture stockpile, your dwarves'll take the door off and just leave it lying around where they're standing. You can't dump doors that have been constructed (b-d) unless I'm crazy. You're a little vague as to what exactly is going on when this happens.

EDIT: Elvang beat me to the punch. But yeah, if we're right you should just be able to build it somewhere else and your dwarves will figure it out, or clear out some furniture stockpile room.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 10:55:00 pm by kinseti »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 10:56:29 pm »

Moving doors?

MOVING doors?? as in.. doors that move when you touch them? this .. this is a revolution for the industry!

GENIUS!

<serious> yeah what they said you probably accidentally deconstruct it and stuff. </serious>
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

OpT1mUs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 10:57:30 pm »

hm, I don't remember deconstructing them, and there was plenty of space on furniture pile...

I don't know what happened really, I just noticed couple of doors out of place for some reason, I haven't touched them...

Weird  :)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 12:04:37 am »

Sometimes when using <q> it will latch on to the ~nearest~ object, not the one you think you are selecting (because that one might not be eligible.)

Only <t> and <k> are tile-specific - I'm mentioning it because as a semi-noob, I've made that mistake a couple times, deleting entire vegetable gardens when I wanted to do something else.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 05:48:15 am »

Could it be that those doors have not actually been built yet?

Maybe a dwarf brought them almost to where they were supposed to go, then decided he needed to drink or sleep so just left them there; this kind of thing happens a lot. Maybe try waiting and see if someone else comes and finishes the job.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:16:39 am »

(You can see if that's the case by trying to build another door there - if it says something like "existing building" then there's a door on its way... somewhere... sometime... in theory...)