Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migration questions  (Read 516 times)

Stumpo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migration questions
« on: April 18, 2009, 08:20:09 pm »

So, being a noob, I want to limit migration, get the fort sorted, and maybe then think about expanding.

The standard fix for this seems to be in the init file, I edit the pop cap to 15 ( a reasonable number of dwarfs it seemed to me, as long as the surrounding were not too deadly ). The first wave of migration, brings my population to 21, wonderful, except i have made 15 bedrooms and other arrangements for a group of 15. I was maybe planning on re-editing the init file later to increase the cap, but a few years down the line.

Did I do something wrong? I edited the init file, then generated the world ( the first world in this game ). Do I nned to do something more? Am I going to be reduced to digging a huge channel around the map in my first year?

Thanks in advance for any help I receive from the learned dwarfs resident here.

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migration questions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 08:24:00 pm »

Hmmm I guess if I just read the wiki right you won't have anymore immigration with a pop of 21 even though the cap is set at 15... and also the immigration can go over the cap depending on how many dorfs arrive (and if it goes over it stop future immigration), im not sure if I understood the wiki right
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Stumpo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:26:07 pm »

Ah, so the trigger for migration is controlled by the cap, but not the number of migrants? Interesting, I will continue onwards and see if you are right.

Also thanks for the uber speedy response.

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 08:28:54 pm »

You are welcome
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 08:30:47 pm »

The population cap isn't a perfect cap on the population.

If you set it at 25, and you have 24 dwarves, you can have a migrant wave which can be anywhere between 1-20 dwarves spawn. with 44 dwarves, you can have 20 die before another wave is sent.

Set the cap lower then you really want to aggressively manage your population, because the number of migrants is effected by fortress wealth and other factors and you can rest assured your migrant wave will be larger then you are prepared for... and turn off babies/pregnancies too. Migrants will bring enough of their unproductive spawn as it is.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 09:09:42 pm »

I find them extremely awesome when they grow up.  Due to being near legendary talkers, and sometimes growers.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 09:29:24 pm »

Well after 12 years of swilling your booze, eating your grub and doing next to nothing, any random migrant lyemaker left to his own devices will accomplish the same gains, only faster.

They don't get kidnapped either, and you can give them a -cat leather helm- and a +Larch Crossbow+ and they will readily slay unspeakable horrors and challenge insurmountable foes for the sake of your name and glory.

Your stupid kids run around naked covered in decade-old puke, blood, mud and uselessness. No thank you, I'll have extra Cheese Makers with my population cap, good sir!

XMotorX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 02:30:08 am »

If you are *just* under the popcap, you won't get any migrants.   I waited a few years of "no migrants" until I figured out that with popcap-40 and population 39, I wouldn't get any (and yes my fort wealth was chugging up and I was busy digging around).  I bumped it up to 50 as I was ready for a fresh wave and got 12 migrants.

I love the puke and blood covered children!  I capped them at 6 and they are a blackhole of uselessness (though one did get a mood and went legendary), but the fort seemed too sterile with zero kids

WeAreGodzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 08:27:56 am »

I wish I'd known how to cap children earlier.  I've got a Countess with fourteen kids and two Champions who are almost as fertile.

Total child count is now at fourty six.