Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sandbox mode  (Read 2324 times)

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Sandbox mode
« on: April 18, 2009, 07:28:58 pm »

Should allow you to summon migrants, raise levels of Dwarves, summon creatures, items, automine, and so on...

You would have to create a world and specify that it's a sandbox world.

This way, it would be much easier to create megaprojects, and plan evil deeds to elves.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Sandbox mode
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:33:02 pm »

Other threads with the exact same title:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=4322.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3086.0

You managed to get a "Please read the instructions at the top of Suggestions" from Toady in your last thread, so really, search before posting.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 07:37:01 pm by Footkerchief »

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 07:56:42 pm »

Isn't this sort of what dwarf manager or whatever that utility is for anyway? Or smelter reactions? Or raw editing? Wouldn't taking the challenge out of megaprojects make them not impressive at all? Isn't it already easy to commit atrocities against the elves? And didn't Toady himself ask you tone down the redundant topics? The questions are driving me mad.

Jakkarra

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 08:09:17 pm »

not to sound obnoxious or "bashy" but id say that this would remove all the fun from doing most projects, and, unfortunately, is a bad and redundant idea.....

sorry......

Love, jakkarra

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 09:04:46 pm »

The game is already sandbox mode.

What you're talking about is "Ability to do anything mode".

Edit:  Also, stop posting threads without searching/reading/caring at all.    Going by your board statistics, you've posted a thread for every half hour you've been on the forum.    You would not have to post threads if you would read, instead, what is already there.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 09:06:31 pm by Capntastic »

Jakkarra

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 09:23:48 pm »

im going to nip this potential flame-fest in the bud.

dont go too hard on the lad, he appears to be new, and has some bright (albeit, overdone and slightly, well, bad) ideas...

this would appeal to some people, as would all his other ideas, and would also be great for another game, but unfortunately, not this one.

sorry mate,

love, jakkarra

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 09:31:20 pm »

dont go too hard on the lad, he appears to be new,

He's posted something like 30 low content threads in the last month, and even Toady has told him to chill out and read the rules.

Obviously Varkarrus himself doesn't read the threads he posts, otherwise he'd probably do so.   So, if he can be considered 'new', he will remain so until he actually decides to take part in the community instead of tossing pointless threads into it and not actually reading anything anyone else has to say.   Which is the sort of thing that needs to be curbed so that the forums stay full of good stuff.

Jakkarra

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 09:44:29 pm »

yeah, your probly right capn'.

its quite possible that varkaruus is a troll, but i try not to jump to conclusions...

please reply to this varkarrus, and explain thyself to us. if you do not, we will be forced to conclude that you are, in fact, a slimy troll. you dont want to be

love, jakkarra

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 09:59:49 pm »

Should allow you to summon migrants, raise levels of Dwarves, summon creatures, items, automine, and so on...

You would have to create a world and specify that it's a sandbox world.

This way, it would be much easier to create megaprojects, and plan evil deeds to elves.

LOL anyhow. Maybe he really isn't and will learn how to use the search feature.. Till then.. Pic above related.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 10:01:45 pm by profit »
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Jakkarra

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 10:05:35 pm »

oh dear, i think we just got derail'd

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 10:45:30 pm »

There's no need to launch accusations of trollery.   That's uncalled for, and detrimental to helping Varkarrus ascend to a productive posting style.

Jakkarra

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 10:49:41 pm »

if you meant me, i wasnt launching an accusation, i thought you were alluding to him being a troll, and i was attemting to water that down, and neutralise the situation.

although you may have meant our friend profit.

love jakkarra

P.S im still waiting for a reply from vark, PLEASE tell us about this.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 10:53:47 pm »

I'm not trying to put anyone down here, I'm just saying we should keep things civil and chill.   

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 10:58:36 pm »

Being civil and chilling aren't any of my virtues.
Personally I'd dust off the -¤-Steel Ban Hammer-¤- but I'm not a mod so I'll ignore any threads or posts by Varkarrus to the best of my ability.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 11:08:39 pm »

Obviously Varkarrus himself doesn't read the threads he posts, otherwise he'd probably do so.   So, if he can be considered 'new', he will remain so until he actually decides to take part in the community instead of tossing pointless threads into it and not actually reading anything anyone else has to say.
Quote from: Guidelines
New posters will not always follow the guidelines above, but if you aren't making an honest effort to be helpful, do not post.  The best option is to ignore redundant threads entirely, especially if somebody helpful has already replied.

Emphasis mine. Since he's already started a few dozen of these topics and we explain in all of them (that I've read) what he's doing wrong, and eventually derail into a thread about who's being to harsh and who's tolerating needless stupidity. Shouldn't we just have started ignoring him already? (I know I already broke that rule in my last post in this topic. Let's politely ignore that.)
Pages: [1] 2