Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 309049 times)

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1035 on: October 28, 2009, 01:12:19 am »

Today's gripe: you can't put a squad on/off duty via the 'x' command.  Maybe this will have changed in the next version, with all the other squad stuff going on.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #1036 on: October 28, 2009, 11:50:15 am »

I dread having to channel out rooms, designating one row at a time.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: October 28, 2009, 11:57:09 am »

Yea, if only the dwarves would at least do it smartly. Even taking advantage of the way they do designations doesn't help because there will be those that are lagging and the inevitable missed spot.

Although, if you have multiple miners and you move quickly, it can go fast, but still....

I do have a semi-gripe about them not bieng able to do outside corner walls from the inside as I've seen them build floors in a diagional way (when there is a connection at any orthogonal direction) and also the dwarves not recognizing that there is no way out and they will get trapped.

Maybe there should be a 'precognitive' pathing check to make sure there is a way out before they build something.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: October 28, 2009, 12:23:57 pm »

Dig ramps instead of channels, dude.  It'll change your life.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: October 28, 2009, 01:57:29 pm »

Dig ramps instead of channels, dude.  It'll change your life.

It depends on what you are doing and whether you have already mined out the space below.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: October 28, 2009, 06:17:12 pm »

The ramp thing is only useful if you're going from the top down.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: October 28, 2009, 06:46:10 pm »

Only the FPS slowdown. From pathfinding and item-tracking, it ruins the game because it becomes impossible to keep the fortress fun after a few years with a decent population.

Probably my only complaint. The game is awesome, it just needs to be optimized so I don't need to rent out a Cray super computer bank at Cape Canaveral, FL just to play with 400 dwarves on a 6x6 embark site thats 20 years old.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: October 28, 2009, 09:23:03 pm »

The game is awesome, it just needs to be optimized so I don't need to rent out a Cray super computer bank at Cape Canaveral, FL just to play with 400 dwarves on a 6x6 embark site thats 20 years old.

I've always found Livermore's rates to be so much more reasonable. :D

Viroath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: October 29, 2009, 02:24:16 am »

I may be a freak, but I don't have FPS problems and I'm on an older laptop.  Then again, I don't like playing past 40 FPS because I like to watch what is happening and before I found out Partial Print worked on my machine, I was playing in soup.

But the first and biggest obstacle I had was the default for tile size not being square.  Aside from that, setting that could help plan out designations and buildings more easily (Outline, so instead of a full box you get just the outside lines) and being able to partially mark tiles (like putting a blue line over it in one direction or another without blocking site of what is on the tile) could really help keep starting players and make lifers much happier.

And just speaking from personal experience here, but I'd like a way to designate things on the fly, knowing that if something serious happens the game will either announce it or pause the game.  And for many, many things that aren't serious.  It is a drawback for me even now, spending so much time in pause doing grunt clicking or running scripts.

But as many people have said, a short introduction to the controls that give a set embark and has you learn some basic things would be a good option.  I still don't have my mind all the way around ramps, as simple as they should be I have trouble getting them to face the way I want.

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: October 29, 2009, 03:27:45 am »

The interface turned me off at first.  Now I'm used to the interface, and the biggest turnoff is what I consider poor balance - traps are too good, training is too fast, food a bit too easy, noble mandates too hard to meet.  Not enough escalation of sieges.  Mods help with some of that but I have the impression that not enough of the game is moddable to fix all the issues.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: October 29, 2009, 07:26:42 am »

The interface turned me off at first.  Now I'm used to the interface, and the biggest turnoff is what I consider poor balance - traps are too good, training is too fast, food a bit too easy, noble mandates too hard to meet.  Not enough escalation of sieges.  Mods help with some of that but I have the impression that not enough of the game is moddable to fix all the issues.

I think thou complaineth too much..eth. Except for the part about the interface, that does take some getting used to.

Seriously, its an ALPHA! Of course its unbalanced somewhat, you can just not use traps, there are mods and tags which can deal with the food stuff and even traps, training speed seems okay to me. As for the nobles, make them have an 'accident'.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: October 29, 2009, 01:31:33 pm »

^^^ Aw c'mon, he's just responding to the thread!  The thread title could easily be reworded "What should we improve about our alpha in the process of making it not-alpha?"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: October 29, 2009, 01:44:45 pm »

Okay yea maybe I was too harsh.....

Um, on topic, my gripe is that there is no way to simply drop a wall into a river to dam it, but eh, wheres the fun in that :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:47:22 pm by smjjames »

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: October 29, 2009, 11:58:12 pm »

There are two things that have always peeved me.

The first is that dwarves' eating and drinking breaks often seem to take place consecutively, but only once the dwarf has returned to his worksite. I think that if a dwarf finishes eating, and he is reasonably thirsty (but not thirsty enough to get the job "drink") he should just drink. It would save a lot of time and frustration in my forts.

Also, after a few years of ambushes, all of the narrow clothing and goblin jewelry tends to cause a massive slowdown and clutter up the stocks menu. I propose that craft/clothing items should gain wear when left outside, and eventually degrade into nothing.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: October 30, 2009, 04:20:00 am »

I think that if a dwarf finishes eating, and he is reasonably thirsty (but not thirsty enough to get the job "drink") he should just drink. It would save a lot of time and frustration in my forts.

Hear hear! Seconded!

Also, after a few years of ambushes, all of the narrow clothing and goblin jewelry tends to cause a massive slowdown and clutter up the stocks menu. I propose that craft/clothing items should gain wear when left outside, and eventually degrade into nothing.

It does gain wear. Depending. It just takes frikkin' forever. I'm not sure if it ever degrades to nothing, though. my fps reaches the limiting point of 19fps before I find out.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 136