Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 309153 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #930 on: October 04, 2009, 08:57:38 pm »

It seems like I've offended some people so let me clarify what I was saying

Toady, you're obviously a fascinating person, just the kind of guy I'd love to share a beer with, after all you created Dwarf Fortress, the most mesmerising game since Hearts of Iron came out over half a decade ago. Your problem is that you're not used to fanboys telling you that your turds are made out of 24 carat gold, this is why you're acting like a barren 40-something sexually ambiguous spinster who thinks that people want to hear about her cats, it's not your fault, when you ramble on about your cat everyone's telling you that it's fucking Shakespere and you're not used to fame so how are you to know the difference? In my country (Australia) we're well aware of the damage cats do to the environment and red blooded Aussies only interact with cats at 900 metres per second. The best thing I can say about cats is that they taste a little like veal if you gut and skin them thoroughly before dousing their meaty remains in a stew sufficient amount of Gochugaru (Korean chilli flakes) and rice wine vinegar in order to make them taste sufficiently authentic.

Call me a barbarian if you must but apparently raccoons taste good too, the main difference is that cats are a destructive feral animal and by shooting and eating cats I'm making a positive contribution towards the restoration of Australia's pre-European ecosystem.

OH NOES WE MUST RESTORE AUSTRALIA'S PRE-EUROPEAN ECOSYSTEM!

Except of course that the Abbos fucked it up long before we got here.

Seriously, you sound so far up yourself at the moment that i must reccomend an excellent surgeon who is quite practiced at removing one's head from one's ass.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: October 05, 2009, 01:43:28 am »

My gripe is that in Adventurer mode it's too hard to tell which race owns a site and whether they're friendly or hostile (without actually going in and seeing what's up).  I guess it would be nice to have a "look" mode when traveling, which could display this information.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: October 05, 2009, 01:46:50 am »

My gripe is that in Adventurer mode it's too hard to tell which race owns a site and whether they're friendly or hostile (without actually going in and seeing what's up).  I guess it would be nice to have a "look" mode when traveling, which could display this information.

There Sorta is... but it is overcomplicated to the point of uselessness. Also I could be thinking of quick travel.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: October 05, 2009, 02:43:19 am »

My first post in this thread. 

I'd say the main thing that turns me off about the game is that as your fortress becomes more and more powerful, the surrounding land becomes more and more dead. 

After only a few years, there is rarely any wildlife to be found anywhere on the map.  I'm not sure how the current world gen system works, but perhaps non-civ creatures should be able to just spawn from nothing at any time.  (I'm just speculating that it doesn't already work like that) 

Anyway, my current saved game (http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7125-taperedtrample) had lots of goats in the beginning, but after my hunters chased them down and strangled them to death (because they're just hardcore like that) no new animals would ever enter the map.  The goblin sieges seem to have stopped after I killed their dwarf one armed, one legged leader who was carrying 24 pages of crafts as well. 

Anyway, there should be a constant flow of new enemies and animals into your realm.  I recall that this may have been planned for an upcoming update though, so if that's the case, the game is pretty much perfect to me. 

I also hate how injuries take years to heal, but I know that's being included in the next update. 

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: October 05, 2009, 02:53:58 am »

*stuff*

I am Australian, and love cats, as do all other Australians I know personally. Except that one guy who likes dogs.

Also: You're not important.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 05, 2009, 02:54:54 am »

My first post in this thread. 

I'd say the main thing that turns me off about the game is that as your fortress becomes more and more powerful, the surrounding land becomes more and more dead. 

After only a few years, there is rarely any wildlife to be found anywhere on the map.  I'm not sure how the current world gen system works, but perhaps non-civ creatures should be able to just spawn from nothing at any time.  (I'm just speculating that it doesn't already work like that) 

Anyway, my current saved game (http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7125-taperedtrample) had lots of goats in the beginning, but after my hunters chased them down and strangled them to death (because they're just hardcore like that) no new animals would ever enter the map.  The goblin sieges seem to have stopped after I killed their dwarf one armed, one legged leader who was carrying 24 pages of crafts as well. 

Anyway, there should be a constant flow of new enemies and animals into your realm.  I recall that this may have been planned for an upcoming update though, so if that's the case, the game is pretty much perfect to me. 

I also hate how injuries take years to heal, but I know that's being included in the next update. 

Good news! The next update has an option to have endless recurring 'invasions' from underground creatures entering the caverns. It may or may not also apply to above-ground creatures.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: October 05, 2009, 02:55:12 am »

The complaints about Toady talking about his cat are kind of hilarious. Christ. I like getting glimpses into the personal lives of people who do stuff I'm interested in, and even if you don't, it's pretty easy to skip over.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: October 05, 2009, 03:16:06 am »

Toady talks about his cat?

I'm not a red-blooded Australian? Heh. Sounds like some poppy is getting too tall for his own good. Might be time for a good docking there mate.

What turns me off about DF is that I rarely if ever see many of the awesome things people talk about from time to time, either because fortresses disappear due to my own carelessness with storage media or because I get bored waiting for the dungeon master and decide to restart better next time.

Of course these are both just a lack of commitment on my part. I could blame Toady for bad pacing but I'm not going to because that's hardly the point of DF here, is it?
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: October 05, 2009, 04:33:02 am »

Might be time for a good docking there mate.
I sure hope that you're not referring to the type of 'docking' that you can find on the first Google link...  :-[
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 05, 2009, 06:11:31 am »

I sure hope that you're not referring to the type of 'docking' that you can find on the first Google link...  :-[
Oh, he is

I don't expect much other from Makrond ;D

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: October 05, 2009, 08:44:41 am »

Oh, he is

I don't expect much other from Makrond ;D

Considering the first hit for 'docking' is the Urban Dictionary one and has to do with penises, i don't think so actually.

Interestingly, the first thing that came to mind for me is the term 'docking' when used in relation to sheep.

Angellus

« Reply #941 on: October 05, 2009, 11:18:28 am »

there is a command to reclaim large areas of loot it's under the (d)esignate command, you can select an entire area to be reclaimed, you can also tell dwarves to not forbid used ammo/corpses/dropped loot from sieges.
I know, and I also use that (Cannot inmagine the Freaking HELL it would be without!), but it is really a pita to scroll trough every single z-level on your map (My fortresses always stretch out everywhere, just like an ant-hole.).

Angellus

« Reply #942 on: October 05, 2009, 11:23:31 am »

My... god.. this thread is derailing  :-[

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: October 06, 2009, 06:58:05 am »

Megaprojects don't actually get rid of the stone though; it can still be accessed in the stone menu.
It does if you build something out of the stone.

No-oo, i'm pretty sure the stone in walls remains in the stone menu.

if that is the case, add that to the list of things that need fixing.
it's just silly.
mangager: "why haven't you built the 25th floor yet?"
mason: "no stone"
manager: "what we have 10's of thousands of units what are you talking about?"
mason:"yeah, those are in the other 24 floors"
manager: *rage*
manager: where's that clerk i'm gonna rip his arm off and shove it down his throat! then put him in the drowning chamber!
It most definitely removes the stone from the selection list when it's not available (ie: in a construction.)  This is easy enough to test.  Dig a hole in a new embark.  When you hit stone, stop.  Then build a wall.  Try to build another.  You can't.  Dig some more until you hit a different type.  Then try to build a wall of that type.  You can't.  It's not listed.

sorry late reply i stopped watching the tread for a while.

yeah but in character the manager wouldn't designate  a tower level by level he's have the whole thing done in blueprints (or engraved in microline, whatever :P) and hand it to the masons and say, build this. (simplification)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: October 06, 2009, 07:15:17 am »

sorry late reply i stopped watching the tread for a while.

yeah but in character the manager wouldn't designate  a tower level by level he's have the whole thing done in blueprints (or engraved in microline, whatever :P) and hand it to the masons and say, build this. (simplification)
I'd love if I could designate an entire structure to be built and they would go about building it without me babysitting.  Don't get me wrong.  But how do you know what stone is available on the map?  Let's say I don't have any Microcline on the map... fat chance on that, I know.  How could you designate a Microcline tower be made?  (or could you and it would never be made?)  If you could, the list of stone would HAVE to include every type available and that might be a nightmare.  You'd want some way to sort, select, or filter by color, quality, etc.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 136