Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 309431 times)

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #705 on: September 01, 2009, 12:56:34 am »

Hm, if he hadn't any help it will be alright, but there is an entire wiki page about that, with step-by-step instructions and even some examples with the most common resolutions (but I didn't checked if his resolution is in the samples).

do you change the oil on your car?  do you know people that pay others to change their oil, and can't fathom why the would?  if you didn't answer yes to both of these then maybe you should realize that maybe everyone doesn't have your mind and upbringing, and that maybe it is like changing oil on a car.  if you did answer yes to both of these then i am surprised that you have internet access.

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 01, 2009, 02:24:30 am »

Pathfinding lag, prevents me from having a rather large (200+ dwarves) city of gore :( I'm sticking with a max of 40-50 dwarves these days, else after year 6 or so it'll slow down too much to enjoy.

I also don't like the way food works. Farming is somewhat broken imo, even with changing the growth durations to several seasons.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 01, 2009, 04:13:51 am »

Hm, if he hadn't any help it will be alright, but there is an entire wiki page about that, with step-by-step instructions and even some examples with the most common resolutions (but I didn't checked if his resolution is in the samples).

do you change the oil on your car?  do you know people that pay others to change their oil, and can't fathom why the would?  if you didn't answer yes to both of these then maybe you should realize that maybe everyone doesn't have your mind and upbringing, and that maybe it is like changing oil on a car.  if you did answer yes to both of these then i am surprised that you have internet access.

Huh... I don't get it. You're implying that changing these options in the raw is too complicated / tiresome for the non-initiated ?
Also, the example is somewhat broken... first of all, like I said, there's a whole page dedicated to help people with these options. There's no way you could do a mistake if you follow the steps, even if you don't know anything at that kind of "code". And I think that most people don't change their oil themselves because they don't want to put their hand in the dirt, not because they really don't know how to do it (especially with a step-by-step guide provided).
But maybe you implied that he won't change it because it's not his work and it should work normally on the first place... well, remember that DF is an alpha, and the Dxx stuff are mostly an experimentation about OpenGl. People should be ready to work a bit to make the game work, especially when their's guides and FAQs available.

ventuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 01, 2009, 05:44:50 am »

What almost turn me away was not knowing the game was 3D (when boatmurdered was 2d, and screenshot section was 2d) and not knowing "<" and ">" keys to go to different Z-floor.

When I got hang of controls on interface but I got confused why there was "downward staircase" and "upward staircase" on designation screen. I got stuck at that point, gave up... then some time later, wanted to try again because game seem so big (and it is) compare to all other roguelike. I found out < and > by accident, then I were able to keep rolling, learning more of this game. Last thing I got around learning was windmill and pump.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 01, 2009, 04:29:03 pm »

Huh... I don't get it. You're implying that changing these options in the raw is too complicated / tiresome for the non-initiated ?
Also, the example is somewhat broken... first of all, like I said, there's a whole page dedicated to help people with these options. There's no way you could do a mistake if you follow the steps, even if you don't know anything at that kind of "code". And I think that most people don't change their oil themselves because they don't want to put their hand in the dirt, not because they really don't know how to do it (especially with a step-by-step guide provided).
But maybe you implied that he won't change it because it's not his work and it should work normally on the first place... well, remember that DF is an alpha, and the Dxx stuff are mostly an experimentation about OpenGl. People should be ready to work a bit to make the game work, especially when their's guides and FAQs available.

this is the last I am going to do in order to explain this to you.

there is a mental hurdle in one's mind for doing certain things.  one for jumping off the back of a boat in the middle of the ocean, one for changing one's own automotive oil, one for writing anything in a suedo code file, and others.

one has to overcome this mental hurdle before they can perform these tasks, irregardless of difficulty or time involved.

the use of changing one's own oil is a fairly universal analogy to this issue, since there are many how to guides out there to help you do this.  when one does change their own oil they probably won't get more dirty than taking out the trash, and it will take less time and money than taking your car out to someone to have it done, even if they do it while you wait.  owning a car means that you should expect to take care of it, changing a tire when needed, pumping one's own gas if allowed (some states don't allow this), and changing one's own oil every so often.

the question that was posed was why not have the program adapt manually?  which is fairly similar to asking if one can pay someone else to change their oil, or change their tire, or pump their gas.

i should have not put the last line 'if you did answer yes to both of these then i am surprised that you have internet access.' because i realized that kids would have internet access and very well could have answered no to both of those questions, which if you are then i am sorry for that last little bit, it sorta makes me sound sorta condescending.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 01, 2009, 04:42:09 pm »

^^^ jamoecw is absolutely correct that messing with init options is a highly unpleasant task for a would-be player who above all wants to start playing.  Just look at Mayday's graphics pack.  It's not popular because it looks infinitely better than other packs, it's popular because it isn't a pain in the ass.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 05, 2009, 10:27:06 am »

I Always have problems with

YOU HAVE FOUND MICA!!!!!

Sometimes I get this imagined scene of a dwarf walking into a microcline room, with a microcline throne and a microcline floor, looking at the king who is sitting in front of a microcline statue, and shouting happily at the top of his lungs, "WE FOUND MICROCLINE!!!"

microcline makes me sad.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 05, 2009, 05:12:06 pm »

Before you learn the common buttons, it can be difficult to use non-letter keys. After some buttonmashing i found out that z-level up and down was ; and : respectively, and movie recording was at *. It does give some vintage vibes, like you're playing a dos game, but it's somewhat strange. I'm assuming this doesn't happen on US keyboards though.

Other than that... it's great to play with someone else at the start, preferably with someone who has played at least a bit before. Getting to know the basics like setting up zones, stockpiles and getting food makes the rest a breeze a little easier. After that is where the DF wiki comes into the picture.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 05, 2009, 06:08:05 pm »

YOU HAVE FOUND MICA!!!!!

Sometimes I get this imagined scene of a dwarf walking into a microcline room, with a microcline throne and a microcline floor, looking at the king who is sitting in front of a microcline statue, and shouting happily at the top of his lungs, "WE FOUND MICROCLINE!!!"

microcline makes me sad.

Thanks for the mental image. You've made my day, and given that it's 13 past 1 am over here, that'll be a pretty long time.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 05, 2009, 06:12:27 pm »

YOU HAVE FOUND MICA!!!!!

microcline makes me sad.

:-D

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 05, 2009, 07:07:32 pm »

I imagine they use it in marrige. Maybe crunching a sone underfoot shouting "Microcline!" like some wierd offspring of jewish marrages.

(I'm not jewish, so if I'm wrong or offensive in any way, Sorry.)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 05, 2009, 07:10:59 pm »

Ya I agree, the killer for me is when I get a good fort running and I decide to look for iron ore, mine out all levels of the Sedimentary layer, and don't find ANY ORE AT FREAKING ALL!!!!! Kalonite, microline, mica they all seem way to common for such a useless stone.
Nom nom nom

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 07, 2009, 04:37:47 am »

I've played Dwarf Fortress off and on, trying a version and then quitting for several months while I wait for a new version.

I definately prefered the 2d version, and kept playing it for a while.

Getting started in DF wasn't a problem for me, it was challenging to figure out how much food I needed to last the winter, and also it was difficult to know how to use space effectively. Building a early fort, for example, you want to build bedrooms for your dwarves but if you do that, you will have those holes forever. So you need to both thing practically (what rooms do i need) and long term (how do I plan to do this in the future?) which was exciting.

However, this problem could have been resolved completely with the ability to /fill in/ a tile.  This has never appeared in DF, save by collapsing an area which doesn't really work. You can build walls in 3D version, but you can't smooth them and its difficult to fill in entire rooms so this is a feature that still doesn't exist.

Then there are strange moods. I love them, however it produces the very annoying behavior of having to keep 'one of everything'. And there's no really easy way to do it. For example, if you want to make bone crafts, you need to make a stockpile of one of every kind of bone, then you are screwed because you can't tell people not to take from the stockpile unless they have a fey mood. This is possible but it takes WAY too much micromanageing.

There ought to be a 'strange mood' warehouse where rare items can be kept. This isn't just practical, it's also nice for people who like to collect rare items. Think of it as a museum. Sure I can make my OWN museum, but it means being very careful to mine around rare items and to have huge stockpiles and not do certain things until i get to the point where i can have megaprojects, which isn't fun.

There also needs to be a dwarf prospector job which can reveal undug locations so you can plan your mining routes without needing to babysit. [[ Actually, a lot of Dwarf Fortress is babysitting. This isn't fun. I like micromanagement and macromanagement, but not babysitting. ]]

Surprisingly, enemies in DF still don't know to dig into your fortress, which is dissapointing, i was hoping for it for the 2D fortress but its still not there :(

3D fortress takes away a lot of the fun of 2D fortress while introducing a buttload of problems.

- no longer do you have to overcome the challenges of the river, chasm, magma, and demon pits. I understand that it doesn't really work in 3D since you could in theory just dig straight down to the bottom layer, but there could be a 2.5D mode where you have say, 3-5 levels but with different challenges on each level.

- Most maps in 3D mode don't allow you to do every industry. Which is fine since maybe i want to 'challenge' myself, but the site finder doesn't help since most worlds don't have even a single site with every feature on it. It should be easy to play on a site with whatever features you want.

- Terrible 3D pathing. I'm sure we've all seen this: for some reason dwarf always has to go find the piece of stone a million miles away just because it is 'closest' in a straight line... on different z levels. UGH. Please put in an option to 'prefer' items on your own Z level (or even just adjacent Z levels) if you don't want to actually tell the dwarf which is the closest with a pathfinding app. Same thing happens with stockpiles too. This might be acceptable if we had decent framerates, but poor framerates AND terrible pathfinding together makes it insane.

- Dwarfs don't sleep enough. I really liked it in the 2D version how often the dwarfs slept. They probably don't sleep as much because if they did, they wouldn't get anything done with their terrible AI, but that doesn't make me feel any better.

- Dwarven Farming. I also prefered farming in the 2D version. In the 3D version it just isn't interesting at all. The addition of outdoor farming is neat but it doesn't add anything to the game IMO.

- Too many kinds of things! 2D had 'dark stone' and 'light stone', 3D has a million kinds of things, and it's not possible to distinguish by color or value. Made worse by dwarf's tendancy to want one certain kind of stone when they get strange moods, UGH. Each object should belong to a category, and you should be able to order constructions based on the category or individual type of material. The economic menu, and the ability to create jobs of different metal types needs to be universal for everything in the game and available also at the worshops.

- Lack of collapsing rooms, flooding, earthquakes, etc that all made DF 2D exciting.

- Industries that are too complicated. Now I can understand metalworking being complicated, but it should be the only complicated industry. Like how with farming there a optional improvements (like fertilizer, cooking, breweries). On the other hand, there is pretty much no reason to use quarry bushes, for example. Yet it is still impossible to milk a cow?

- It is impossible to order my guys around. I use Dwarf Foreman to make my life much easier, but there are still too many jobs and it's impossible to know what job is for what task without looking it up. Plus there is no way to give the dwarfs a sense of urgency, they are equally interested in organizing my craftsdwarf's workshop and getting my goods off of the trade depot before the racoons steal everything.

Basically I am happy with the dwarf fortress 'bloat' but think it needs to take a back seat to things like z-level pathing, prospectors, prioritizing jobs and organizing materials.

I lke how my dwarfs occasionally do stupid things (like get caught on fire or fall into wells) but I don't like babysitting. I like how dwarfs have so many personality traits but i don't think that actually makes the game any more fun. I think that things like religion should determine what kind of army attacks you, but the fact that you get attacks and have animals roaming your lands should make the game fun even if it makes no sense (eg you've killed everyone in the world). It is hard to read engravings, but it mostly is cool when it comes to the artifact descriptions. But then i've just had 4 artifacts made where the only thing on the artifact is 'dwarfs are labouring' which is boring :(

As far as it being an alpha, i have played many games in alpha, and also coded my own. Playability of 'the game' always comes first over shiney features. I think most of 3D mode is only fun for dwarf adventure and i don't care about adventure mode really.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:41:37 am by GoldenH »

asper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 07, 2009, 05:29:49 am »

Those are my thoughts exactly. The 2d version felt more like a "game", and was really challenging and rewarding. 3d quickly became a snorefest.

I know a lot of the 2d features will be coming back, and challenging gameplay is in the works. I'm waiting anxiously for that.

Other than that, nothing has turned me off about DF. As a roguelike player, I enjoy the graphics, and the awkward interface has its own charm  :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 05:31:41 am by asper »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 07, 2009, 06:01:56 am »

Surprisingly, enemies in DF still don't know to dig into your fortress, which is dissapointing, i was hoping for it for the 2D fortress but its still not there :(
I play it for the "coolness" factor.  I enjoy that creatures can't dig into my fort and screw it all up.  If tunneling was an option, and only if, I would say go for it.  The more options, the better.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 136