Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 309075 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #285 on: April 23, 2009, 03:13:16 pm »

But isn't it more useful to let the user have the option rather than not?
No.

You obviously won't be convinced by anybody then.  But I'll point out that there's already options to disable sieges, moods, the economy, and bedroom rent.  A lot of players turn the economy off so they don't have to deal with all their haulers suddenly turning homeless and little unmovable piles of coins dropping everywhere.  Why not have a similar option for immigrants, or at least some measure of control over them beyond just locking the door?

The main reason I see for things like sieges and the economy being optional is because the mechanics of them are currently extremely flawed, especially the economy. And for invaders in particular, it's optional because the game doesn't have LEGITIMATE means by which to measure whether or not you should ever be invaded (even ambushes happen fairly early on and without real reason), so it's left up to the player.

Not everything in a game should be left up to the player, or else the game loses its definition.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 23, 2009, 03:22:34 pm »

The main reason I see for things like sieges and the economy being optional is because the mechanics of them are currently extremely flawed, especially the economy. And for invaders in particular, it's optional because the game doesn't have LEGITIMATE means by which to measure whether or not you should ever be invaded (even ambushes happen fairly early on and without real reason), so it's left up to the player.

Could the same not be said about immigrants?  The game judges whether and how many immigrants you receive (on seemingly random seasons) by the number of deaths (recent or total or isn't clear, but even one can scare everybody off) and just the digging, growing, and furniture needed for the embark group can be "worth" enough to attract 25-30 immigrants in your first winter.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 23, 2009, 03:25:47 pm »

Could the same not be said about immigrants?  The game judges whether and how many immigrants you receive (on seemingly random seasons) by the number of deaths (recent or total or isn't clear, but even one can scare everybody off) and just the digging, growing, and furniture needed for the embark group can be "worth" enough to attract 25-30 immigrants in your first winter.

(Perceived) wealth always was one of *the* driving factors in migration. Just look at US colonies and how Manifest Destiny played out, and what the Mexicans do to get a slice of the US wealth, or Africans to reach Italy and the EU.

Though, a wave of immigrants just after (or even before) the trade caravan from the mountainhomes visited your fortress is.. odd, to say the least.

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 23, 2009, 08:26:18 pm »

You obviously won't be convinced by anybody then.  But I'll point out that there's already options to disable sieges, moods, the economy, and bedroom rent.  A lot of players turn the economy off so they don't have to deal with all their haulers suddenly turning homeless and little unmovable piles of coins dropping everywhere.  Why not have a similar option for immigrants, or at least some measure of control over them beyond just locking the door?

Nope, I won't be. The designer of the software gets to do the hard decisions, not me. :P

I know, you won't be convinced, but that's just a silly attitude.  It's silly because there is most likely something currently built into DF that you like being able to control, and that using your argument should have been a designers hard decision.

However, there is no inherent problem with the option being there. Nobody's forced to use it, after all, and given that DF will be more than a game once it has grown up, the option has its place.

However, I'm distinctly of the opinion that there are more pressing needs (and if you can't handle immigrants after a few days of play, I question your ability of rational thought), than the whining of a handful.

As I read the post that started this, it isn't about an inability to handle immigrants, it's about a desire not to have to deal with them.  It's about enjoying game play in a manner different than you do.

What I really think you're missing is that if options are given to make the game "easier," those same options can most likely be used to make the game "harder," which would seemingly increase your enjoyment.  So I think you should support more player control, because it will benefit you as well, not just the "whiners."

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 24, 2009, 12:22:51 am »

However, I'm distinctly of the opinion that there are more pressing needs (and if you can't handle immigrants after a few days of play, I question your ability of rational thought), than the whining of a handful.

So basicly if I don't play the game your way then I'm not a rational person?

Look I have nothing against migration to my fort, its just there's no control, If I get 20 some Migrants to my fort and I don't want them, I have to kill them, some way or another they have to die for me to get back to my original numbers. It just sort of ruins it for me.  I can't turn them away, I can't send an Emissary to basicly tell everybody to stay the hell away from my fort or be killed.  Nope they come whether I will it or not, and they either have to join my fort, or die.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 01:01:46 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Jakkarra

« Reply #290 on: April 24, 2009, 01:40:23 am »

i dont really see the problem people have with migrants, they dont NEED a large room, just a few beds that you stick in a random room will do, i can usually go ages with a barracks till my fort is done, NOONE CARES! they just nomnomnom some food and they are content.

apart from the framerate issues some people has.

Love, jakkarra

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 24, 2009, 02:30:25 am »

I know, you won't be convinced, but that's just a silly attitude.  It's silly because there is most likely something currently built into DF that you like being able to control, and that using your argument should have been a designers hard decision.

No, it isn't silly. I pay (for some value of pay, since DF is at the moment donationware) a designer to actually do the hard stuff of figuring out how the game world works, and what its rules are.

An example: What would you think if you had, every single time, to adjust the kerning of a heading in your favorite word processor? Any graphic designer will tell you that kerning is 100% necessary. Yet, I doubt you give a crap. So, your word processor makes the decision on how to display the heading, and apply necessary adjustments.

As I read the post that started this, it isn't about an inability to handle immigrants, it's about a desire not to have to deal with them.  It's about enjoying game play in a manner different than you do.

Tough. I want to play Warcraft III without Orcs, too.

What I really think you're missing is that if options are given to make the game "easier," those same options can most likely be used to make the game "harder," which would seemingly increase your enjoyment.  So I think you should support more player control, because it will benefit you as well, not just the "whiners."

No problem with adjustable difficulties, at all. In fact, I'd prefer it if I could manage immigration as I can in Colonization: I get to chose who and when I get immigrants into my colonies, within the boundaries of the game's rules.

That's what apparently everybody is missing here: The game has rules, they are there, and you have to operate within these rules. DF is no different in that regard than any other game.

I'd go nuts over options to tweak my game exactly to the way I like it, from dragons to the size of raindrops. Until I'd have to reinstall it or my computer. Then I wouldn't bother, but rely on the designer to provide me with sensible defaults for the settings, and any rough difficulty I set.

Look at Railroad Tycoon II for an example regarding difficulty: If you don't want to bother with short selling and buying on margin, you keep the difficulty of the economy low. But if you want to buy industries, you'll have to deal with the increased difficulty of a much harder stock trading system. That's how the game works, and is one of the challenges.

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 24, 2009, 02:34:46 am »

So basicly if I don't play the game your way then I'm not a rational person?

No. Read the sentence again.

Look I have nothing against migration to my fort, its just there's no control, If I get 20 some Migrants to my fort and I don't want them, I have to kill them, some way or another they have to die for me to get back to my original numbers. It just sort of ruins it for me.  I can't turn them away, I can't send an Emissary to basicly tell everybody to stay the hell away from my fort or be killed.  Nope they come whether I will it or not, and they either have to join my fort, or die.

Deal with it. You knew that the game includes immigrants, and either you take it, or you leave it. If I don't like the combat system of, say Crystal Caliburn, I don't play the game, instead of complaining about the combat system during play.

Not to mention that DF is still an early Alpha. It is no-where near feature complete.

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 24, 2009, 03:53:08 am »

Deal with it. You knew that the game includes immigrants, and either you take it, or you leave it. If I don't like the combat system of, say Crystal Caliburn, I don't play the game, instead of complaining about the combat system during play.

Not to mention that DF is still an early Alpha. It is no-where near feature complete.

I thought this topic was about what is currently considered as "needing improvement". If people want to have more control about stuff, who are you to tell them they cannot have it? That you enjoy being forced to take in 200 dwarves, fine, but a lot of people use the population limit ini settings for a reason.

That DF is "alpha" is a non-argument. The whole point of this topic is to point out stuff that COULD be improved.

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 24, 2009, 04:22:57 am »

I thought this topic was about what is currently considered as "needing improvement".

No, it's about what turns people off of Dwarf Fortress in the first place. That's not immigration waves, but the horrible UI.

If people want to have more control about stuff, who are you to tell them they cannot have it?

Somebody with a healthy ego.

That you enjoy being forced to take in 200 dwarves, fine, but a lot of people use the population limit ini settings for a reason.

No, I absolutely don't enjoy it. Just now, I had a wave of about 20 immigrants, and no idea what to do with the half-dozen Siege Operators. But it is one of the challenges DF throws at me. And it is made worse by the abysmal UI I have to contend with. Streamlining *that* is more important than additional options in init.txt. By far more important, since it affects all of us. DF is unsuited to deal with large fortresses and large populations. At some point, DF turns into work, and for work I prefer to be paid.

That DF is "alpha" is a non-argument. The whole point of this topic is to point out stuff that COULD be improved.

It's very much an argument. You cannot add more and more features and options, without the code having gelled enough that it is easy and quick to do. You can't add features and options if there is no way to test it in a reliable fashion (no, "playing" it is not a reliable fashion. You need a full test process, from teh code, to the UI, to the game mechanics).

What if Toady would implement greater control over immigration, and the world arc has to be revamped? The army arc has to be revamped. Civilisations and their interactions have to revamped. What then?

The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few.

vanarbulax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 24, 2009, 05:13:28 am »

It's very much an argument. You cannot add more and more features and options, without the code having gelled enough that it is easy and quick to do.

I think you have entirely missed the point of an alpha, it's all about adding new things and making drastic changes before too much time has been invested and everything is set in its way. Things "gelling" together is what you do during the beta stage otherwise if you start "gelling" in an alpha you might add something which wrecks something you've spent a lot of time on.

Alpha is all about making modifications before it causes too much trouble and while I do agree that immigration waves don't turn people off at first (even then it can be one of the most overwhelming things for a new player to go from 7 to 27 dwarves) it can still turn many a player off after a while, losing player base further down the line.

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 24, 2009, 05:19:17 am »

I think you have entirely missed the point of an alpha, it's all about adding new things and making drastic changes before too much time has been invested and everything is set in its way. Things "gelling" together is what you do during the beta stage otherwise if you start "gelling" in an alpha you might add something which wrecks something you've spent a lot of time on.

You haven't done a lot of software development (no, I don't mean writing a script here and there, or something that has only a thousand lines of code, or so), have you?

Alpha is all about making modifications before it causes too much trouble and while I do agree that immigration waves don't turn people off at first (even then it can be one of the most overwhelming things for a new player to go from 7 to 27 dwarves) it can still turn many a player off after a while, losing player base further down the line.

Actually, and Alpha is a work in progress. However, you cannot add features here and there. You *have* to have a plan, and clean, clear code with everything absolutely necessary in place first, before you can do lots of other stuff, like creating a graphics engine, or optimizing algorithms.

Otherwise you end up with something called Spaghetti Code (that's a technical term). Browse over to The Daily WTF, to get an idea what happens if you don't do it right the first time (in short: there are no second chances).

DavesWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 24, 2009, 05:50:07 am »

Frame rate.  The very steep CPU requirements are the reason I quit playing DF about, oh 5 weeks or so after I first found it.  I found the Dwarfwiki and was quite happy reading through it and figuring out how to do things.  Then, what I found was, I'd setup and grow a "successful" fortress, and it becomes unplayable.

So I started reading and searching for DF optimizations with a vengence; turn this off, turn that off, reduce Z levels, eliminate water.  That last was particularly annoying; the engineering features seem quite fun, and I really enjoyed figuring out how to build a successful water system that pulled from an underground river ~12 Z below ground, pumping it into my trial and error water tower, then over a long constructed 'pipe' to pass over my wall and empty into my moat.

Then I realized my two days of work had been like shooting myself in the head, because now the fortress I was happy with before, was now unplayable because frames had dropped to about 4.  Perhaps flow calculations should only be done when something's changed about the flow channel (i.e., it calcs the pumps pulling the water up into the tower, down the drain channel, and falling into the moat; and 'locks in' that as a simple routine that just knows where the water comes from and where it's going.  And it would only recalc if I dig or construct or deconstruct to alter the physical areas.)

Along the same lines, after I figured out how to build a successful fortress that attracts immigrants, I realized that too was the same as firing the loaded gun into my left temple; past about 60 dwarves, frames drop dramatically.  'Play' became loading a text file on my second screen and reading, looking over every ~15mins to take a few clicks at this or that, then returning to reading while I waited for DF to chug along for, literally, another couple of days.

I was willing, grudgingly, to forgo engineering projects if I was allowed to play the game otherwise.  But I couldn't see how to build a fun fort that worked well with less than at least 70 or 80 dwarves.  And that's more than my computer can apparently handle.  This from a computer that can run GTA4 (which is also a huge pile of unoptimization; I name it in this instance because it has an IMMENSE physics calculation engine in it, all running off the CPU, to calc the game world, the cars, and all the humans based on physics not preset animation loops). 

The single thing DF needs more than anything else is code optimization.  Sorry if this is 'uncool' or 'unfun' as a suggestion, but that's really the huge stumbling block.  I spent about a month after I quit playing DF checking the Pathfinding thread daily hoping someone had figured out how to streamline the CPU requirements and give those of us not blessed with an overabundance of cycles the ability to play DF again; so far I haven't seen any hope.  Now I check the thread every week or two.  This thread gives me a small amount of hope DF might take a turn for the better.

I know it's not just me.  Several of the popular "story forts" in the succession fort forum show the same complaints from successful forts.  People were mentioning it in most of their posts; either they'd back out when their turn came up because they'd load the fort and realize it was going to take a month to generate a season, or they'd say "sorry I haven't updated my turn yet, game's still running".  From my reading, the only complaint these folks had, in and around the TONS of fun they were having playing and handing the fort off to each other, was the CPU limitation.

Some programming excellence needs to go into streamlining how the code goes about the tasks.  When I check the DevLog, I just sigh and despair, because all I see are yet MORE features being inserted I know are going to consume even more cycles.

Perhaps a user tool could be added to let us setup paths; I think most DFers use the concept of main hallways with directly connecting rooms.  Such a play tool would require/allow the user to paint the main path(s), then connect from those to the required dwarf stops (food stockpile, bedroom block, water source, etc...).  At worst, the pathfinding calcs could then be reduced to a dwarf simply having to make it to the nearest main path; and from there the calcs basically stop as (s)he follows the user set guide.

Please 3T!  Take a month or two and apply your excellent programing skills to tightening and speeding your code!  Please.  Think of the unplayed dwarves suffering in virtual limbo hard drives the world over.  :(

Assuming the game's playable, the biggest quirk I found was the incredible difficulty in having *any* sort of control over materials used for constructions.  Trying to place entry bridges and traps was like attempting to buy the world a Coke(tm) all because the dwarves seem almost completely unable to simply move rocks that are in the way.  The lack of a simple setting in the workshops to tell them "no, I want you to build Granite (x)".  I found I was spending most of my dwarves' time having them clear rooms and hallways of unwanted materials, carrying them to far corners of the map, just to prevent masons and crafters from using the crap when what I wanted them was to use the nice, pretty, or valuable rocks.

World construction problems; namely, finding the needed features that allow a fort to actually survive.  Water being a pretty big one, especially when any sort of river made the site unplayable.  Also, Wood.  Maybe this was related to my CPU limitations (using 2x2 or 3x3 areas), but I never found enough wood to have any hope of an actual metal industry without the use of magma.  Then, still without industrially useful amounts of wood, I figured out I needed a site that was small (for frames), with an underground pool (for frames and survival), magma (for the fun of industry), AND with coal-like rocks.  I think it took me almost a day of world gens to find a 2x2 site that met those criteria.   !!! :( !!!

Nobles and moods.  I turned the later off almost immediately, when I realised they were randomly picking the requirements.  It wasn't a challenge to obtain something I hadn't gotten to yet; it was a dice game where I might, or might not, have the items needed.  So I turned them off.  Nobles, almost the same thing.  Their demands have no basis in what the fort can actually obtain.  (Yes oh Duke, I know you greatly desire Platinum tables and Granite chairs; however, as it has been for the past 15 months, we still lack both Platinum and Granite, and the caravans do not bring them to us).  And the noble penalties were the death of dwarves!  My CPU limitations prevented me from building the engineering death systems many others seem to use to kill off nobles; but I did figure out that simply not naming a Sheriff prevented the killing of poor dwarves whose sole offenses were the inability to conjure materials out of thin air.

Dwarf economy; I ruined one fort with that and had to start over, when everything I'd been happy building became unavailable because all of my gainfully employed dwarves were priced out of the bedroom market.  Entirely.  I feel the economy, if it's implemented, should be a luxury layer, not a requirements layer.  It seemed silly; the COOKS and BREWERS, who were the ones *making* the stuff, were unable to buy good food or drink!  So where were the prices dwarves were supposed to pay for expensive food and drink going if not at least partly into the makers' hands? 

I feel DF is one of the top ten best ideas in the history of gaming.  For it to actually to become one of the top ten games, it needs to be polished and optimized.  At that point, it'll easily rank up amidst Civilization, Mule, SimCity, Master of Magic, etc..
I'm not proud of it, but we've run out of coffins
 - Robocorn, at the fortress of Battlefailed -

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2009, 07:05:35 am »

That's what apparently everybody is missing here: The game has rules, they are there, and you have to operate within these rules. DF is no different in that regard than any other game.

Not everyone but yes some people have complaints that can summed up as "They don't like Dwarf Fortress". However something people forget is that Dwarf Fortress doesn't need to appeal to everyone and that just because a game has a wide scope it doesn't mean it will appeal to a wide audiance.

If someone doesn't want to play Dwarf Fortress with Immigrants, Sieges, Megabeasts, Tantrums, and the like at once... then they probably don't want to play the game in general. Keep the options in the RAWs but the point of developing Dwarf Fortress is not to make it everything and appeal to everyone because that will make it infinately insignificant (the wrong word for it... It is supposed to be a term for things that are infinate but have no real significance in it) but rather to make Dwarf Fortress itself as great as it can be as Dwarf Fortress.
-Note: I am not hinting at anyone. Coincidences are unintended.

Though this is also a game that isn't finished yet and is early in development so it can still change so it can cover a wider audiance. It is up to Toady to decide where these areas areas are.

Though some people need to ease up on the counter points in some areas (In fact I do too) since fighting in this topic isn't conducive to the point.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:16:03 am by Neonivek »

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #299 on: April 24, 2009, 07:54:31 am »

You haven't done a lot of software development (no, I don't mean writing a script here and there, or something that has only a thousand lines of code, or so), have you?

Actually, and Alpha is a work in progress. However, you cannot add features here and there. You *have* to have a plan, and clean, clear code with everything absolutely necessary in place first, before you can do lots of other stuff, like creating a graphics engine, or optimizing algorithms.

Otherwise you end up with something called Spaghetti Code (that's a technical term). Browse over to The Daily WTF, to get an idea what happens if you don't do it right the first time (in short: there are no second chances).

Devs have the option to let an alpha pass or to reject it.  If it's satisfactory, it goes into beta stage.  If it is not, it's called back to the drawing board and try something else.  DF is in a very, very, very long cycle of alpha re-releasing.  The game, understandably, does not have all the features Toady is planning for it, for it to move on to beta stage.  He constantly refines his alpha from personal experience and user feedback, and although it's not the entire program that gets re-written, several of the modules do go through an overhaul once in a while to conform to ideas he has developed.  Furthermore, I do not believe it's something to be interpreted literally, but rather as Today's way of saying "look, this isn't a finished product, so it can and will screw up in places.  Thanks for understanding."

I will also remind that no one is "paying" for the game.  The game itself is free.  We, the players, send donations as a reward to Toady if we find that the game is good enough.  Pay for the good work that has been done so far.  Do not pay with the expectation that you've suddenly become a shareholder of Toady's soul.

That's Satan's job anyway.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:56:26 am by Shurikane »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 136