Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 309011 times)

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #255 on: April 22, 2009, 01:38:07 pm »

What turns me off about DF is the lack of multi-core support.
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 22, 2009, 03:32:44 pm »

Meh screw multicores. :(
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

ephrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 22, 2009, 05:03:49 pm »

You don't see the advantages?  Temperature, pressure, AI, and path finding could really use separate threads.

Gertack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 22, 2009, 06:05:27 pm »

You don't see the advantages?  Temperature, pressure, AI, and path finding could really use separate threads.

You can't fix a slow algorithm by throwing more cores at it.  All that does is slightly delay the real problem.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 22, 2009, 07:13:03 pm »

You can't fix a slow algorithm by throwing more cores at it.  All that does is slightly delay the real problem.
Old Jim Programmer: "Why, back in my day, we actually optimized our codes.  No siree, we didn't have a bajillion cores to throw at a game."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:08:08 pm by Kardos »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 22, 2009, 07:23:50 pm »

I try to optimise my code as well and i am not that old. Sadly all that pressure nowadays for example the massivley miscalculated deadlines leave no time for optmasion. If a codesnipet works it works. Heck how i hate this attitude.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 22, 2009, 09:21:57 pm »

This is a good question.

I remembered becoming first interested about Dwarf Fortress from big download's freeware-friday post.  However, the ASCII graphics presented too much of a learning curve for me, even though I had previous experience with some ASCII games (doomrl, which is roguelike-lite).  However, after being pointed to the tileset and graphics, the graphics, interface and gameplay were no longer a problem for me as I relied heavy upon the wikipedia.

What turned me off, or why have I stopped playing, is the lack of being able to handle a large fortress effectively.  This could be a personal thing, but after just talking to my wife who also plays, both of us struggle with keeping interest after the size of the fortress prevents micromanaging.  (For her, she actually cares about assigning each dwarf a job that they like doing... crazy imo)  also, getting a fighting squad ready is difficult to do without many dwarves dieing from training problems  (which is being fixed)

Also, for me, I also struggled with not being able to plan the fortress to be the most effective/optimized for travel distance and effective movement of things.  Basically, I want to  game the system to have the best results possible.

I've tried a bit to use mechanics to move water and lava, to have giant construction projects however with the decrease in FPS, I find the game becomes too slow for my interest.  (I use to play at 250-300fps...)

Thanks for asking the question.  It looks like you have lots of feedback already, but I just wanted to make a comment beyond graphics.

Sourlout

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 22, 2009, 10:46:59 pm »

Biggest turnoff when starting:  the interface, and by this I mean the menu issues already addressed.  An interface overall should be top priority and would go a long way to keeping new users.  The inclusion of a default graphics set is also a good idea (I use the vanilla ascii).

Biggest turnoffs later:  same as everyone else, no challenge.  Like others, I've started modding as a way to stay interested (and trying to contribute to the wiki as another way to stay interested).  Also, the fps issues.

Dev issues:  I have to agree with those that feel the direction of development is a bit off.  The focus does appear to be mainly on things that won't really improve gameplay that much, at least in the near future.  Maybe these things will someday converge to make a better game, but merely cleaning up the bug list would also make a better game, and probably much more quickly.

The dev issue is really that Toady likes to code on what interests him.  That's all well and good to some extent, but if he wants to keep the money flowing, he's going to have to focus on the needs of the user base at some point.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 23, 2009, 01:36:07 am »

Whatever you happen to do later on, DONT DUMB THIS GAME DOWN! The ever increasing complexity of this game is what turns me ON about DF. I mean, don't do what oblivion and fallout 3 did.. They replaced their entire fanbase of the predecessors of these games when they made the games console-friendly, and "stupid teens who can't play games that require them to think"-friendly.

It's weird, how the only people ever to complain about the graphics, are the people NOT PLAYING THE GAME. One should think that the actual players of the game would be the ones to complain.. I really don't get it... Graphics don't make games, it's gameplay/fun/etc that make games. I read that this game was supposed to be awesome, so I just happened to give it a try, which is what got me hooked about 2 years ago. (after I started reading up on the wiki-tutorials...)
The learning curve is a bit unforgiving. It's easy to get lost in the vastness that is this incredible game. Even with the wiki handy, it takes a while to get a grip around what this game is.
For me however, once I realized that many things in this game actually is similar to other games, it got all easier. (placing workshops = red alert, designating stuff to do = dungeon keeper or Evil genius, etc) Once I got past that "weird ascii-game" feeling, and realized this, then it was all fun and games. (well... "game"..)

Would be nice for new players to try an ingame tutorial-mode which is really dumbed down, in campaign-style play with goals:
-Starting with a small map with one miner, one small mountain on 2 z-levels, and all you can do is designate mining. No hunger, thirst, wildlife etc...)
-Next map: Underground room with part sand/soil, part stone floor. You have one farmer, and all you can do is designate a farm plot and choose which seeds to plant. When plants are getting ready, you are allowed to designate a stockpile for food.
-next map: learn about brewing drink
-etc
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 23, 2009, 01:43:41 am »

No, I just can't afford a multi-core processor.

Also for a problem I have with df:

Immigrants.

I understand the need for having them, but the game really does them poorly, You just get settled in to a new fort, preparing to line up stuff and BOOM 20-30 dwarves come crashing your party, you now have to abandon what you were doing to screw with them, you have to build quarters, make sure you have enough food, and mostly they are just a pain with the only solution being Nazi style death rooms, or messing with the init every time you want to allow more dwarves to join your fort.

There really just needs to be a way to control them, like having migrant group leaders coming to you to request joining your fort, and leaving when you say no. I know eventually migrants will be the migrant groups you see on the world map so that should help a bit, especially if that 20-30 dwarf group that wants to join you gets attacked by goblins and ends up around 5 when they get to your fort.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 01:57:30 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 23, 2009, 02:01:42 am »

The community  :P
This is to make me recognizable.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 23, 2009, 02:12:38 am »

you have to build quarters,

No you don't *grin*

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 23, 2009, 03:24:16 am »

Not that you would notice it if a program is multithreaded on a single-core CPU. You simply won't have the benefits. (Well, one downside is that the CPU has to do more context switching due to more multi-tasking, but you won't notice. You never have, so you won't start to notice it with DF. ;))

Jirou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 23, 2009, 03:31:06 am »

The controls, menus, learning curve, etc. I know plenty of people that would like this game if just a bit of attention was paid to user friendliness.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 23, 2009, 03:58:59 am »

Not that you would notice it if a program is multithreaded on a single-core CPU. You simply won't have the benefits. (Well, one downside is that the CPU has to do more context switching due to more multi-tasking, but you won't notice. You never have, so you won't start to notice it with DF. ;))

Isn't there a performance loss of a Multicore game forced to use a single core processor?
Steam Profile
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 136