Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 309422 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1830 on: June 11, 2012, 09:38:04 am »

The fact that they keys are often completely unintuitive and switch from menu to menu.
yo can move with arrows for one, and plus/minus for another. It's frustrating for a long time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

It's all entirely logical.  Any screen where you can still see the map uses +/-, all others use arrow keys.

I believe there is one exception to this rule, but I do not recall it offhand.

Ah, that's it!  I knew it was something like that, but I couldn't quite figure it out.  Yes it makes perfect sense, since if the map is on the screen, the arrow keys will scroll the map unless the map was locked somehow when a menu comues up (which would be inconvenient in its own way).  But it's also not very intuitive, especially since the game switches between the two.  There's also the inconvenience of the + key requiring the the use of Shift at least on certain types of keyboards.  This can be adjusted through keybinds, but a new player won't know how to do that, and there are a very large number of keybind options as well.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: June 11, 2012, 09:45:49 am »

But it's also not very intuitive, especially since the game switches between the two. 

Like I said, never said it couldn't be better, just that it was logical.

There's also the inconvenience of the + key requiring the the use of Shift at least on certain types of keyboards.  This can be adjusted through keybinds, but a new player won't know how to do that, and there are a very large number of keybind options as well.

Different and unrelated issue, that while annoying, is solvable.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: June 11, 2012, 03:58:43 pm »

1. Bugs with existing functionality.
2. Bugs with existing functionality.
3. Inconsistency in the UI.
4. Bugs.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: June 11, 2012, 07:11:43 pm »

Not being able to engrave constructed walls. I've abandoned countless forts solely due to not finding a large enough area of the same stone type/colour to make an awesome engraved dining room out of :<

(being pedantic about stuff like that sucks)

Seconded.

Or...ten thousandth'd, whatever. Even if its only Constructed walls which are made of blocks. Or Constructed walls which are made of blocks which are first engraved, and then the overall construction has to be engraved again, but let it happen. Though I imagine its a problem with how constructions and terrain are different, etc, etc, requires major reprogramming, I'm sure.

noobnubcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Clumsy Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: June 18, 2012, 08:55:49 pm »

One thing that bugs me is that the ASCII is slightly taller than it is wide so I often mess when measuring how long a
area is in tiles.

Another is bugs that can easily end your fortress being fixed after ones like:
Potash Making/beekeeping/cheesemaking doesn't work.
For example 'the reclaim after sieges/ambushes causes goblins to be friendly' bug seems to not be fixed yet
and IIRC they become hostile when your fortress is attacked again.

To this day the elven warrior castes hunt the enemies of nature for the purpouse of bringing back slain intelligent beings for consumption by their leaders and generals, for the good of nature and the survival of elvenkind.

And that is the story of how napalm was invented.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1835 on: June 19, 2012, 01:26:46 am »

For example 'the reclaim after sieges/ambushes causes goblins to be friendly' bug seems to not be fixed yet
and IIRC they become hostile when your fortress is attacked again.

"Oh, hey there. What a surprise."
"I see, you want to rebuild this fortress. Would mind us hangig out here for some time? We like it here."
"Last attack? That must have been some other goblins. Look how harmless we are, standing next to your children, watching them play."

mutonizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: June 19, 2012, 03:15:08 am »

This just isn't a game for everyone I think. Some people are instantly hooked, some repulsed. Some instantly relate, some just don't get it.
To me, it's the same thing that happened with LEGOS in my early years: I used to spend HOURS building up stuff with random bricks and then play with them. Some friends only built what they were meant to build as shown on the boxes then moved on, and some people just didn't care and looked at LEGOs as stupid kiddy stuff.

Today, there are enough youtube tutorials, graphic tileset, wiki information and tools available now to not scare away people who are hooked, but I don't think anything can make it playable for the others.

The UI is great once you know what's there.
Keyboard hotkeys, once you known them, are the fastest man-machine interactions possible, WAY faster than using mouse, so that's a plus for me since I don't care much for user-friendly stuff because it's usually to slow for me.
All systems currently in place are working quite decently and there is an internal logic to it.
There is a macro system to allow for fast building designation and some tools with building blueprints if you want.

Not counting bugs, nothing really frustrates me, but the one thing I would like, though it's not really necessary, would be a revamp of the U list to allow for a fast job check and allocation, like Therapist. It's not needed since there's Therapist available but it'd be nice.
Other than that...just bug fixes, but that would require a feature freeze and I don't see that happening anytime soon :)

...oh yea, make ALL buildings/reactions/creatures into raws!! It makes no sense to me that all the default buildings/reactions are still hardcoded ;)

AGE of MAN (mod thread, with questions/features/log)
a prehistoric, semi realistic, human focus mod in the work. (no release yet)

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: June 19, 2012, 04:36:10 am »

One thing that bugs me is that the ASCII is slightly taller than it is wide so I often mess when measuring how long a
area is in tiles.

You can change it in settings to square ones.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Jhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: July 10, 2012, 08:45:47 pm »

6x6 Embark with a freezing ocean - 120 dwarves - 100 fps
4x4 embark without any freezing - 11 dwarves - 30 fps

noobnubcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Clumsy Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: July 10, 2012, 09:28:11 pm »

area is in tiles.

You mean curses_square_16x16.png?
That makes my eyes burn by looking at it.
To this day the elven warrior castes hunt the enemies of nature for the purpouse of bringing back slain intelligent beings for consumption by their leaders and generals, for the good of nature and the survival of elvenkind.

And that is the story of how napalm was invented.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: July 10, 2012, 10:24:41 pm »

area is in tiles.

You mean curses_square_16x16.png?
That makes my eyes burn by looking at it.

It took me a while to find a good square tileset in the vanilla style. It's 12x12 though so it may not suit you http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Alloy

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: July 10, 2012, 11:07:53 pm »

1) Inability to choose what I want milled/brewed/etc. specifically without convoluted stockpile management or custom workshops.  (I actually don't mind the situation with stone workshops, though; it's easy enough to set a stockpile to accept all stone of one color and feed my masons).

2) Inability to retire a fortress and expand the kingdom with new fortresses, etc., or visit my old place as an adventurer.  It's kind of frustrating to think that, after all the tremendous effort a fortress might put into becoming a grand place, I -have- to let it become a ruin to move on.  It just adds to the feel of the whole world as slowly dying once you start play.

3) Diplomacy is pointless/nonexistent.

4) The inevitable FPS death the more you do and accomplish.

Really, I enjoy the game a lot, and the things that do bother me are, as far as I know, issues that will be resolved in due time.  I like the complexity of the game and the emphasis on realism; it's nice that some things are glossed over (like not requiring you to make a hammer, tongs, basin, and racks before you can build a forge, just an anvil and assuming the little tools are handled elsewhere), but by and large I like that the game requires you to do more than just "Harvest Generic Resource A for Generic Item B". 
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

OMGTANGERINES

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: July 11, 2012, 01:34:01 am »

The fact that they keys are often completely unintuitive and switch from menu to menu.
yo can move with arrows for one, and plus/minus for another. It's frustrating for a long time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

It's all entirely logical.  Any screen where you can still see the map uses +/-, all others use arrow keys.

I believe there is one exception to this rule, but I do not recall it offhand.

This, its the one complaint I don't understand.

My biggest beef with the game is the lack of menus where you can type to search, like how you can with the embark screen. Granted, some more bug fixes would be great, as well as being able to see more than 1 z-level at a time, but that doesn't piss me off like having to scroll through long lists trying to find something specific.

Wait, THERE'S A SEARCH FUNCTION ON THE EMBARK SCREEN!?
We were hoping for a constant fort at some point, having players in different time zones so that the fort never actually stopped running.  Come back overnight and find a giant penis has been constructed.  Glory to the penis gods.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: July 11, 2012, 10:50:28 am »

Wait, THERE'S A SEARCH FUNCTION ON THE EMBARK SCREEN!?

[f]ind.

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: July 11, 2012, 11:06:18 am »

FPS Death.

The more you play and get almost soul-linked to it, to the point where you spend hours (sometimes nights) thinking on how to improve it, still you don't know if you'll ever be able to do so. Even relatively small fortresses are unbearable for some mid-spec computers.

Most people won't believe this can happen to an ASCII game.

"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 136