Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 308880 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1485 on: July 16, 2010, 10:12:31 pm »

Booze, almost as powerful as magma. Which I till haven't managed to dig to.

Point of the clothing debate is this: You have to balance automatisation and player responsibility in such a way as to make the game challenging, yet not tedious. If I have to track every single piece of stray clothing and get rid of it with some cumbersome workaround, all just to do some more to keep my FPS manageable, then that's on the tedious side of business.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

neil_v

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: July 16, 2010, 11:04:18 pm »

I am sure that it is tedious, but is that really what makes you all not want to play the game? I'm glad i'm still new and starry eyed over DF and i'm not yet so anal retentive about my FPS. I'll admit haven't yet had felt the crushing disappointment of demolishing my 20 z-level waterfall and commiting genocide on my massive cat sanctuary because of too many old hats and mittens.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: July 17, 2010, 05:56:36 am »

My Fortress has only just hit 100 dorfs and it's already down to 25 FPS. Don't ask me why! I'm doing what I can for my FPS, but they're down to crap no matter what. Over time, things just accumulate  >:(
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: July 17, 2010, 06:51:11 am »

I'd like an easier way to get or set information.  Examples?

- if I want to change like five useless dwarves to go and pick up stonecrafting, I need to press u, scroll to the dwarf, press c, press g to check their current skills, press p-l to go to the labour screen, scroll down, select crafts, scroll down, select stonecrafting, press esc..... repeat x5.  If after pressing esc it returned to the units screen with the dwarf I just edited still selected, it'd be a lot faster.  If I could use the mouse to select dwarves and labours... I wouldn't be complaining.   If there was a separate labours screen with dwarves on one side, labour selection in the middle and current skill sets on the right side that could be used to quickly view or change labours, that would be /sexy/.

- more mouse useage in general, the d screen already makes wonderful use of it, let's see the q screen and p screen do that too!

- and yeah, graphics.  seeing faded levels below your current position couldn't hurt, ala this vid.

- fairly massive change: add a mode (maybe view-only, no editing in this mode) to see the world side-on. ;)
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: July 17, 2010, 08:03:24 am »

It's interesting to see how a large number of the issues with DF seem to stem down to the interface, such as the above example. Another symptom of this, of course, is the community-made tools, like Dwarf Therapist, that attempt to overcome the interface. Hopefully, when Toady decides that it's time to have a re-think of the interface, he looks at the community tools and thinks "Yeah, that's popular, that works well." or "No, that's too difficult to use, that's not popular." and draws direction from here.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's somewhat of a simarity between the Dwarf Therapist interface and the medical summary screen...
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: July 17, 2010, 08:06:41 am »

I don't mind the UI, but of course I would like some improvement. It just isn't a priority to me.

My main grievance with DF is the fact that even limiting my fortress to 50 dwarves, in 5 game years I have around 40-50 fps. I would like to see some improvement in perfomance as soon as possible.

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: July 17, 2010, 12:08:40 pm »

I don't mind the UI, but of course I would like some improvement. It just isn't a priority to me.

My main grievance with DF is the fact that even limiting my fortress to 50 dwarves, in 5 game years I have around 40-50 fps. I would like to see some improvement in perfomance as soon as possible.

So true.

Recently switched from P4 to i7 and from 40d to 31.xx. All in all, FPS got worse. Sure i could set depth to 50 no caverns and such and tweak an extra 20FPS out of the init , but screw it. The heart's not at it. This is not what i expect from a good game. Mostly lurking the forums now. Until toady does something about this carp.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:18:15 pm by fanatic »
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: August 06, 2010, 08:25:12 pm »

seriously does no  one know how to turn grapical FPS down to 10-15, that bosts my FPS to atleast 100 on 200 dwarf forts, it's crazy
Nom nom nom

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: August 06, 2010, 09:08:04 pm »

seriously does no  one know how to turn grapical FPS down to 10-15, that bosts my FPS to atleast 100 on 200 dwarf forts, it's crazy
there really needs to be a one-stop resource to let people know how to properly use the various display options.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: August 06, 2010, 10:01:41 pm »

The clothes griping is really part of a more general "the game just doesn't clean up after itself" gripe. Forgotten beast ichor stays in that water, doesn't flow, doesn't move. Broken bolts are absolutely everywhere on the surface now, and I can't even touch them. Nothing ever seems to go beyond "Partial skeleton" unless you toss it in the magma, the only truly effective garbage disposal solution.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: August 06, 2010, 11:17:49 pm »

The clothes griping is really part of a more general "the game just doesn't clean up after itself" gripe. Forgotten beast ichor stays in that water, doesn't flow, doesn't move. Broken bolts are absolutely everywhere on the surface now, and I can't even touch them. Nothing ever seems to go beyond "Partial skeleton" unless you toss it in the magma, the only truly effective garbage disposal solution.

Yeah I wouldn't mind some of it if it seemed more like part of the game.

I mean legends are full of creatures who left a pernament taint behind with their blood. (One dragon's blood would make any ground it landed on forever unable to support plants)

otze3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: August 07, 2010, 09:02:25 am »

As for the clothes problem, if a dwarf has a bedroom assigned with cabinets in it they put the clothes in there.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: August 07, 2010, 11:40:15 am »

As for the clothes problem, if a dwarf has a bedroom assigned with cabinets in it they put the clothes in there.

Until they run out of cabinet space, then it litters the floor of their room (until they run out of space there too--they don't like dropping multiple items on the same tile).

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: August 07, 2010, 11:45:43 am »

Until they run out of cabinet space, then it litters the floor of their room (until they run out of space there too--they don't like dropping multiple items on the same tile).
easy fix, make more cabinates, I usually fill all the rooms anyways to get rid of stone

what bugs me about the new version is dwarves ability to track blood and forgotten beast toxin everywhere, I now have a fort of footless dwarves thanks to not having any shoes, and necrosis toxin tracked everywhere, there should be a way to get dwarves to dress up in chemical resistant clothing, lock off a section of the fort, and have them clean EVERYTHING even items....
Nom nom nom

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: August 07, 2010, 12:00:31 pm »

More specifically, what problems did you have before learning the ropes of the game?  We figure we are losing 90% of the players because of the UI and other barriers, and that doesn’t even count the ones scared away by the ASCII graphics.  Now, this doesn’t mean we are about abandon the rest of the game to start the presentation arc.  It is just as important to have endless monster attacks from the underground, and challenging sieges. 

What do you think is scaring people away?  The building placement?  Designations?  The embark screen?  Or maybe its finding the right tile sets and setting them up.  We are hoping at some point to build easier commands and tutorials to help bring in more players.  We have to identify the main culprits first.  So what is frustrating you the most about Dwarf Fortress?

Actually you've answered your own question TT, but we all know that these are the most problematic parts of the game since years. [bad UI / full gfx support is still not implemented yet / full mouse support is not implemented yet.]
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 136