Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 308859 times)

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1455 on: July 07, 2010, 03:41:33 pm »

What turns me off it annoying glitches and the new militery screen, even if I can barly get it working dwarves equip multible swords in each hand... sword and shield in same hand, dont wear armor.etc

Also the fact in adventure mode you cant apply medical attention at all, this is a pain when your adventurer suffers a broken arm and you cant splint or set it back into place and then your adventurer is down one arm, or an infection and theres nothing to do but wait for it to eventually kill you.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: July 07, 2010, 09:30:21 pm »

It is resource intensive.  I guess that can't be helped at this point though.

Brandon816

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: July 08, 2010, 12:49:17 am »

I don't really like how siege weapons seem undeveloped. You can mod in new types of rock and metal to change what the ammo is made of, but you can't touch the actual siege weapons. And, the siege weapons themselves are kind of basic. There's a ballista and a catapult, and that's it. Don't you think by now the dwarves would've made a way to pump out oil, or some other flammable liquid, and have a giant, stationary flamethrower? Or a smaller version of the current ballista that fires smaller arrows in exchage for a higher refire rate? What about a catapult that takes heavier metal balls as ammunition?

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: July 08, 2010, 12:01:06 pm »

Right now, it's the military in 31.08. It got really complicated, really quickly. Everything else I can just deal with.

But the military... here's what I think could be done...

I liked the old way of doing military, minus the random armor and clothing issues. I like micromanaging my dwarves.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: July 08, 2010, 12:20:22 pm »

The huge requierements turn me off :(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: July 08, 2010, 01:01:31 pm »

FPS
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: July 08, 2010, 07:09:11 pm »

yeah, that's why they turn me off
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dreadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: July 08, 2010, 09:44:51 pm »

Kind of a newby, here. I learned by doing the tutorials and watching Captn Duck's videos.
For me, it's the UI. There's very little consistency and it's not intuitive in the least. I haven't even started looking at what i have to do to start a military in 2010.
Keep plugging away, it's a great game!

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: July 08, 2010, 10:16:47 pm »

I don't really like how siege weapons seem undeveloped. You can mod in new types of rock and metal to change what the ammo is made of, but you can't touch the actual siege weapons. And, the siege weapons themselves are kind of basic. There's a ballista and a catapult, and that's it. Don't you think by now the dwarves would've made a way to pump out oil, or some other flammable liquid, and have a giant, stationary flamethrower? Or a smaller version of the current ballista that fires smaller arrows in exchage for a higher refire rate? What about a catapult that takes heavier metal balls as ammunition?

I assume that when we can actually use siege weapons for, you know, sieges, Toady may expand possibilities.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: July 09, 2010, 02:52:03 pm »

For me, currently, it has to be the military. All the devlogs prior to 2010 talked about these awesome things, dwarves doing weapon demonstrations, individual and group drills, being able to actually make wooden weapons to spar with instead of using up precious silver, etc. On release, however, it was pitifully buggy. I can get my dwarves to do individual drills, but that's about it. I don't even bother to make training weapons anymore, unless it's to exploit using training axes to cut wood (pine axe cutting through oak trees... nice). Crossbows are still broken (though siegers can use them to deadly effect, which is frustrating). I think I saw a dwarf do a demonstration once, but only because he arrived at the fort with the teacher skill. I've never seen dwarves spar, which isn't a huge problem since making armor has become significantly harder with the removal of magma pipes. I guess this makes forging more realistic, but I go through a ton of coal and lignite trying to produce even one set of steel chainmail. And speaking of steel, material is now the only thing that matters. A dwarf in artifact iron armor is significantly more vulnerable than a dwarf in base quality bronze or steel.

Meanwhile, if the military is buggy weapons are even buggier. Axes dominate everything, while almost nobody even bothers with hammers or maces because blunt weapons don't do lethal damage fast enough, and dwarves are not content to leave off killing a target after it's incapacitated (break both arms and a kneecap, that goblin's not going anywhere, no need to crush his internal organs to jelly when there are 45 more of em to take care of). Material here is even stranger, with platinum being the best blunt weapon material (if you're masochistic enough to try to use it) and making weapons out of adamantine is laughable because it's so lightweight. Wrestling is broken beyond repair, though that's more realistic, but being unable to train dodge skill because of no sparring makes training dwarves much much harder.

I understand that this is still alpha, so I'm not mad that the current version is buggy, but it does keep me from playing right now. Once the worst of these bugs is fixed, I'll probably pick the game up again. Until then, though, I'm just lurking on the forums.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: July 09, 2010, 03:58:10 pm »

For me, currently, it has to be the military. All the devlogs prior to 2010 talked about these awesome things, dwarves doing weapon demonstrations, individual and group drills, being able to actually make wooden weapons to spar with instead of using up precious silver, etc. On release, however, it was pitifully buggy.

+1 to this.  I think this is the entire reason why I'm not playing DF these days.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: July 09, 2010, 05:00:47 pm »

It would have been shocking if it wasn't. He gave of clear warning that it was gonna to be buggy as all fuck.

All that functionally exist, not not playable. However thats been changing steadily.

And there was no way to have better military with the old 40d set up.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

neil_v

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: July 09, 2010, 05:25:51 pm »

I love the game, and it was difficult to learn (UI, and overwhelming possibility) But I loved that very much. I loved coming home from work and figuring out how to do things, and browsing the wiki as I play so I can reference the significance of things like 'Dolomite', and 'biting' skill. Its the first game I have not got bored of, and I love that the game plays me (haven't had that since C64, Coleco, and NES). The broken military kinda sucks. I find alot of the "bugs" I encounter turn out to be user error, so I get a chuckle when all my talented axe dwarfs strip naked and head out to wrestle some goblin ambushers, but I restrain myself from reporting a bug for obvious reasons. The point is; I love figuring things out. Other people don't seem to, so I sit down and help them start their first fortress, and it goes a long way for them to not have to try and muddle there way through.

-The UI isn't as big a problem as people make it out to be. I agree its hard to learn without being shown, but it becomes instinctive quite quickly.
-The military is beyond my intellectual level. I should be able to just assign some dwarfs to the military, and by default they go train with whatever is available. The complicated military interface and functions shouldn't be changed, they should just have a very good default setting (like the miners for example. If I have a miner and a mining task, he does it, I don't have to f-around with his clothing and tools to get him to break stone) So that I can get a military up and running quick, and play with the features later.
    -assign dwarf to military, dwarf grabs the best armor available by default, and wrestle or use a non-axe weapon by default (as not to take axes from woodcutters), then go and train at the nearest barracks till I tell him else wise via change of actions/scedules or force move/kill.
-hunters Im assuming are fixed, but they should be a simple military that requires any of the following: traps for small game, ranged for larger game or spears for larger game (and enemies, experienced hunters are proud and not quick to frighten).

-moods being challenging instead of impossible . If I have a turtle in my food storage, the dwarf should be able to take his shell at the cost of losing the food value. If the dwarf is asking for cloth, gems, and leather, and I have all of those, he shouldn't go insane in his workshop. If he wants bone, and my refuse pile is full of animal and goblin remains, he shouldn't go insane in his workshop

Those are the ONLY big problems my friends and I complain about. DF really is the best game ever. I hope some rich person gives you lots of money to sit around and make it better (with no strings ::)).

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: July 09, 2010, 05:35:52 pm »

Bad FPS when the fort gets too large and bugs that you have to work around.

And yes, lack of magic stuff. Toady says he plans to put it in some time.. i just done want to wait for it!
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: July 09, 2010, 09:05:55 pm »

It would have been shocking if it wasn't. He gave of clear warning that it was gonna to be buggy as all fuck.

While all true, it is keeping me from playing the game because it's very frustrating trying to set up a functioning military (and by functioning, I mean "performing at the same levels as 40d and prior").
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 136