Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 308661 times)

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1350 on: April 03, 2010, 03:02:55 pm »

Hey, Zwei, we should perhaps dust off the Interface topic and try to come up with alternate solutions to the military  :) (runs off thinking)
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: April 03, 2010, 11:21:33 pm »

The whole "kill this now" process is a pain now, but getting a REAL military that functions by itself is easy now, thank god.  Takes a little more work to get set up, but once set it's almost "fire and forget."

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: April 05, 2010, 08:14:32 pm »

Maybe the current military system will have that kind of potential eventually, but not in it's current buggy state.
Right now I station my dwarves in front of an incoming siege, they all go to the station then 3/4ths of them run back to change their clothes. Meanwhile the few who stayed to fight have either dropped all their weapons, or they have 10 steel battle axes in their bag and choose to use 1 wooden training axe to fight with.
The fact that marksdwarves are completely incapable of picking up ammo doesn't help.

Hangedman

• Bay Watcher
  • Here, at the limit of this quiet world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: April 05, 2010, 08:16:57 pm »

Idling with a massive list full of jobs to do.

Especially miners that idle for days on end in the meeting hall while my noble quarters remain undug and they are screaming down my ears.
No, I am not ready to embark, thank you very much

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: April 06, 2010, 12:11:42 am »

Especially miners that idle for days on end in the meeting hall while my noble quarters remain undug and they are screaming down my ears.

But that's part of DF's realism!
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: April 07, 2010, 12:49:48 pm »

One presumes that eventually the very basic AI necessary for a dwarf to take a gander at a foe and decide if he really NEEDS to flee or not will put the last nail in the Fortress defense project.  Maybe.  Probably.

I think they are trying to fix pathing, which in turn is causing pathing issues, and thus the aggravation of some already tedious AI where work is concerned.  One hopes that too will be ironed out soon.

I get the idea that movement is happening in the correct direction.  It just takes the patience of Job to hang in there, find something diverting to do to maintain interest in the meantime, and not let yourself get too negative about what is essentially the only hope on the web for a game like I'd REALLY like to play.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: April 18, 2010, 02:52:47 pm »

Ugly blinking ramps. (Hatches too, for that matter.)
Akur Akir Akam!

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 18, 2010, 03:00:14 pm »

What I absolutely HATE is having a fortress named Uristm(firefly)kot (bag)esh
and having the genders be girl and (bag). Generally just having tiles that don't make any sense there. Also, having all punctuation as speckled patches because the ground is composed of it.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: April 18, 2010, 03:20:49 pm »

Ugly blinking ramps. (Hatches too, for that matter.)
I tend to hide the crap that blinks, myself.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 18, 2010, 03:43:44 pm »

As a new player to DF, I have to say that the worst thing about it, what made it the hardest for me to even consider playing, and is still a daunting challenge, is the absolute "I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THE CHRIST I'M DOING" factor that permeates the game. I don't know what half the keys do, the Help option in game is...scant, at best, and my dwarves just seem to do whatever the hell they feel like, job or not.

Also, I'm hella bad at micromanagement, so I'm slower than hell at this game. And incredibly nervous that the first time anything Fun arrives, I'll be sans fortress before I know what happened.

(Maybe a recap/replay/end screen would be in order?)
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: April 18, 2010, 04:19:20 pm »

Well the two things that turn me off about df is the lacking of an ability to graft babys to make super baby mech and nuclear bomb... But really its the fact that i still learning new things, such as there is an option to have dwaves dispose of refuse, and you can change the controls.
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: April 18, 2010, 06:36:49 pm »

As a new player to DF, I have to say that the worst thing about it, what made it the hardest for me to even consider playing, and is still a daunting challenge, is the absolute "I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THE CHRIST I'M DOING" factor that permeates the game. I don't know what half the keys do, the Help option in game is...scant, at best, and my dwarves just seem to do whatever the hell they feel like, job or not.

Also, I'm hella bad at micromanagement, so I'm slower than hell at this game. And incredibly nervous that the first time anything Fun arrives, I'll be sans fortress before I know what happened.

(Maybe a recap/replay/end screen would be in order?)

I dont see a recap/replay type screen working out. There just to many way a fortress can end. It can probably spam you to death with Hows.

How many died in combat or drowned, but it wouldn't be able to offer a reason to why it happened.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: April 18, 2010, 06:58:03 pm »

Learning by repetition. That's how I got into it. Start a fort....start digging...oops! Screwed that up. Regen world....embark screen...oh hai, I know what this does...but what does this do...ok...got that figured out....start fort....try to make a well....screwed that up! Regen world....

It's just periodically going back over the stuff you already know, until you're ready to try out other stuff, and slowly building up your knowledge every pass. Reading the wiki about specific topics obsessively is a good start too. I think I had to "play" 40 or so games before it all clicked and I really started playing. Just figuring out the keys that move the menus, versus the keys that moved the selectors...once I figured that out, everything else started to fall into place.

But I must have seriously put 50 hours into reading wikis and the in-game tutorial, and these boards, just to know enough to explore.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: April 18, 2010, 08:37:53 pm »

and having the genders be girl and (bag). Generally just having tiles that don't make any sense there. Also, having all punctuation as speckled patches because the ground is composed of it.

Do you know this happens because of the tileset you are using, don't you? Please say you are joking, you can't be this thick.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 18, 2010, 09:32:29 pm »

Do you know this happens because of the tileset you are using, don't you? Please say you are joking, you can't be this thick.

That doesn't mean it's not a legitimate problem.  The current tileset system sucks.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 136