Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 309173 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #855 on: September 21, 2009, 09:56:16 am »

nononononono they don't show up under the bin in the 'take to depot' screen (which is good, you WANT them to carry the bin to the depot), but they do show up in the 'select what you want the elves to cart of the map for you' screen at the depot.

Only problem is, you can't select just the contents of a bin...  It's either select the bin and all it's contents or deselect the bin and all it's contents.

That said, if you select the individual items IN the bin, you can move them one by one.

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: September 21, 2009, 11:34:09 am »

nononononono they don't show up under the bin in the 'take to depot' screen (which is good, you WANT them to carry the bin to the depot), but they do show up in the 'select what you want the elves to cart of the map for you' screen at the depot.

Check

Only problem is, you can't select just the contents of a bin...  It's either select the bin and all it's contents or deselect the bin and all it's contents.

Check

That said, if you select the individual items IN the bin, you can move them one by one.

Not working.  I have literally TONS of food and wine I would like to trade, but when I do a search and type (plump) for example, the only plump helmet items that show up are the ones not stored in the barrel, or the barrels themselves if they happen to contain plump helmets.  I have yet to find a way to get them out and bring them to the depot. 

This is important mostly with food because I do not want to sell the barrels.  I want to sell the STUFF and then re-use the barrels.

So if you have the process for getting the stuff out of the barrel and to the trading post, that would be great.  I thought I had it figured out once, as I took the stuff I wanted out of my food stockpile permissions, then created a stockpile close to the trading post WITH the same permissions, THEN went and had it take from the previous food stockpiles.  Worked like a charm the one time.  When I tried to do the same to get my bone crossbows over to the trading post without dragging along the good ones I wanted my crossbowdwarves to use, no dice.

Finecky -- maybe even buggy.  Just updated to d16.  Or else I am missing something easy.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: September 21, 2009, 11:52:02 am »

Check

Check

Not working.  I have literally TONS of food and wine I would like to trade, but when I do a search and type (plump) for example, the only plump helmet items that show up are the ones not stored in the barrel, or the barrels themselves if they happen to contain plump helmets.  I have yet to find a way to get them out and bring them to the depot. 

This is important mostly with food because I do not want to sell the barrels.  I want to sell the STUFF and then re-use the barrels.

So if you have the process for getting the stuff out of the barrel and to the trading post, that would be great.  I thought I had it figured out once, as I took the stuff I wanted out of my food stockpile permissions, then created a stockpile close to the trading post WITH the same permissions, THEN went and had it take from the previous food stockpiles.  Worked like a charm the one time.  When I tried to do the same to get my bone crossbows over to the trading post without dragging along the good ones I wanted my crossbowdwarves to use, no dice.

Finecky -- maybe even buggy.  Just updated to d16.  Or else I am missing something easy.

It's a misunderstanding of the process, it sounds like.

You can't get them to take stuff out of barrels to bring to the depot (not easily anyway). BUT you can bring the barrels/bins to the trade depot. THEN when you actually do the trading, only select what you want to trade (i.e. not the barrel, the stuff inside it).

Granite26 tried to explain above, but I think it probably just wasn't concise enough.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: September 21, 2009, 12:08:49 pm »

From wiki

g: This command becomes active when a caravan arrives on your map. This screen menu is similar to the stocks menu (z - Stocks). This is where you select what items you want to trade with the caravan. If you have particular items you want to sell to the caravan, you can search for it. This is convenient if you want to export all your prepared meals or finished goods. Also shown is the culling on mandate option. The move to depot screen will not show things that violate an export mandate. By pressing m, it will change to Ignoring mandates, and you can select banned items for export. For example, if your mayor has a mandate banning the export of iron, this screen will hide bins that contain iron items. By changing this option, all iron items will be shown.

So you search and bring all items to the Trade Depot (Still in their containers)

THEN:

After entering the trade menu, select the items to offer from the right, and the desired items from the left. All caravans have a weight limit which cannot be exceeded, and the allowed additional weight is displayed in the lower right corner. If the acting broker has at least Novice or better Appraisal skill, the value of all items will be displayed. Once the proposal is ready, press t to make an offer, but merchants will not agree unless they make adequate profit. Be sure to use trade, not offer o, as this will make a gift of the selected items. The amount of acceptable profit is determined by the broker's skills and the merchant's mood, described below. Merchants may attempt to propose counteroffers if they do not accept the proposal, which can then be accepted, rejected, or further amended by the broker.

Which is where you can select into the bins

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 21, 2009, 01:27:35 pm »

But if you just want to trade the items and not the bin, it's easy. Mark the items and not the bin! They should show up on the trade list under the bin.

Then I have a bug.  When all my bins are at the depot, they are just bins.  There is no option to trade the things in the bins separately.  If I view the bin itself in the trade depot, I can see stuff inside just as if I were in the "bring to depot" menu, but I cannot trade them as far as I know.  I just got through with the human caravan for the year.  Will look again when the dwarfs come. 

I should do a save right during the trading and yank it so I can look at it over and over I suppose.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: September 21, 2009, 02:03:59 pm »

Fill out a bug report over on the bugreports forum... prolly screenshots too.  This is about as far off topic as we should get :-D

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: September 21, 2009, 02:20:52 pm »

Thanks for your patience.   ;D  I'll get the shots and see what folks see, assuming I don't figure it out next season.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: September 23, 2009, 02:09:51 pm »

Fill out a bug report over on the bugreports forum... prolly screenshots too.  This is about as far off topic as we should get :-D

it sorta is off topic and sorta isn't.  this is exactly what a good help system helps out with, simply linking off to somewhere gets generic responses that usually isn't specific to your question.  exactly why i think the help menu shouldn't simply be a link to a wiki, of course any help feature is better than none at all.  something like hitting the help button while in the trade menu and clicking on the bin would open up the info about trading the bin and possible options and how to do them.  when the traders aren't in town (and thus can't get into the trade menu) hitting the help button, then clicking the depot would bring up info on the depot and possible options and how to do them, of course since trading stuff inside a bin without trading the bin might be a level down from that due to it being a bit specific, easily getting to exactly what he wants to do would be very helpful.  and if it is a bug then he would pretty much know before he even exits the game.
once the ground work for this type of help searching is done, players just note when an inappropriate answer is listed, then toady or someone else changes where the pages goes to in that instance, and if there isn't a page for it yet then writing up an appropriate page.  it seems like the ground work for this should be done when interface is done, however just making it so that the help key makes it so that the next command given, or object clicked (now that DF has decent mouse support) bring up a help page is basically all that is needed for ground work and would allow for any change to the interface that i can think of.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: September 23, 2009, 02:28:06 pm »

Some of that is implied in linking to the wiki...  As in, a help button on screens that takes you to the wiki page for that screen.

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: September 23, 2009, 06:03:38 pm »

Well, I think it has been said many a time that the interface needs work to be more intuitive.  That plus some better help system would go a long way.

Hey, I am back on topic!   :o

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 23, 2009, 10:13:23 pm »

If this hasn't made the official list of irksome things yet, let me suggest either keep the Nobles out of the workshops or make them at least partially controllable.  I like my dungeonmaster to train animals.  I have no use for him in my forge surreptitiously taking what little gold I have and making mediocre stuff out of it.

Mouse works in 40d16... sweet!   ;D

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: September 24, 2009, 12:32:09 am »

For the guy trying to bring bins to his Depot, make sure you search for a certain kind of bin, like a Finished Goods Bin. A simple bin, like a Maple Bin, is empty.

However, there is no way that I know of to get the food out of barrels or animals out of cages at the depot.

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: September 24, 2009, 05:46:05 pm »

For the guy trying to bring bins to his Depot, make sure you search for a certain kind of bin, like a Finished Goods Bin. A simple bin, like a Maple Bin, is empty.

However, there is no way that I know of to get the food out of barrels or animals out of cages at the depot.

Thanks.  Someone made that comment earlier finally.  It has been a long and winding road, but I now have my finished meal stockpile set up and pulling from all the other food stockpiles.  I've taken to buying tons of wood, which is quite cheap and keeps my legendary carpenter busy making barrels while the wood burners crank out the charcoal.

Now suddenly I am out of smeltable ferrous materials.  Bummer.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: September 24, 2009, 06:11:48 pm »

Thanks.  Someone made that comment earlier finally.  It has been a long and winding road, but I now have my finished meal stockpile set up and pulling from all the other food stockpiles.  I've taken to buying tons of wood, which is quite cheap and keeps my legendary carpenter busy making barrels while the wood burners crank out the charcoal.

Now suddenly I am out of smeltable ferrous materials.  Bummer.

sounds to me that now you have to loot the corpses of some goblins.

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 24, 2009, 09:19:34 pm »

.... Now suddenly I am out of smeltable ferrous materials.  Bummer.

sounds to me that now you have to loot the corpses of some goblins.

As it so happens I had my first invasion just before this.  =)  Lots of dead goblins.  Zero dead dwarves. 

Then my Captain of the Guard beat one of my Masons to within an inch of her life and I had to demote him.

Apparently dwarves are more dangerous to dwarves than pretty much everything else.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 136