Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 309205 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #840 on: September 17, 2009, 10:09:42 pm »

4 different keys to look at something? <k>, <v>, <t> and <q>? Really, four? Why not one with a submenu?

imagine just right clicking on a tile and selecting 'inspect' :)
Or hovering over it and leaving right clicks for special instructions (ie: mine, build, restrict..)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: September 19, 2009, 07:34:18 pm »

I don't so much mind the stone lying around as I find it difficult to get the stone out of a SPECIFIC room.  Possibly there is a work around for this I am not aware of.  And ultimately that is DF's current Achiles heal.  The interface is just way sloppy. 

Not news to anyone though, and you learn by doing.

I try to explain to myself why I find this game so entertaining.  It is just really interesting to go back and forth between the macro and micro levels.  So like, someone people do not like the meticulous programming of layers of flesh, but I look forward to that, and how it will interact, and even look forward to encountering the BUGS because, why?

Because then you get to see the story that unfolds around these things.  The more details there are, the more happy and sad thoughts there are to review, the more stories to uncover in adventure or legends mode, etc.

It's an ant-farm gamer's dream, DF is. 

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: September 19, 2009, 09:19:52 pm »

I don't so much mind the stone lying around as I find it difficult to get the stone out of a SPECIFIC room.  Possibly there is a work around for this I am not aware of.  And ultimately that is DF's current Achiles heal.  The interface is just way sloppy. 

mark it for dumping? ..its quite tedious when doing large rooms, but it works.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: September 19, 2009, 09:45:11 pm »

If you're saying it's tedious watching the dwarves take their time to dump it, then ignore me, because yeah, it is.  Otherwise, you'll probably be very glad to know that you can now (since last summer) use the designation menu (d-b-d) to mark an entire area of stone for dumping all at once.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: September 19, 2009, 09:46:09 pm »

I'm not sure if this is a recently added feature for the 40d series.
Designations -> Building/Item Properties -> Dump

EDIT: ninja'd
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Phyroks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: September 19, 2009, 09:53:10 pm »

(i)mark area with edge(channel something or build wall) and then make it garbage dump. (i)and find the marked zone(g)
(d) (b) (d) mark the stones you want moved. they will all be dropped from the edge and fit in 1 tile.

EDIT: was i really that slow? :(

And yes the starting part was really hard, i had to find some good tutorial to get it done, then took few games to understand how to mark labors and discover what iron was..... "OH this was iron??? i had it all along!"

I gues it would help alot to have a savegame with a fort in some safe place with the basic embark items and small tutorial to tell you how to get food, booze, beds, labor jobs, recruits and "a happy dwarf". after that its the fun part of discover yourself what happens!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 09:55:00 pm by Phyroks »

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: September 19, 2009, 11:14:45 pm »

I find quantum storage as annoying as cluttered newly dug out rooms.  In fact, since this is actually a thread INVITING me to whine a bit, if there is one thing that is both ubiquitous and annoying about DF, it is the process of controlling where things are placed, and then not having control of how to get them back out. 

I know it is supposed to be fun to piss off the elves, for example, but I'd like to be able to do it on my own terns rather than not be able to get things out of bins and barrels, then fall into the habit of just selling things bin, barrel and all, then forget one day and try to sell the elves a barrel of food.

Grrrrr.....

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: September 19, 2009, 11:31:35 pm »

You can get things out of bins and barrels just fine to sell to elves. Either mark the items themselves to be brought to the depot instead of the bins, or bring the bins and just sell the items in them instead of the bins themselves.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

KruskDaMangled

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: September 20, 2009, 12:07:00 am »

It's probably been said, but adventure mode feels really empty right now.
Another thing for me is that in general, fortress mode is kind of dull right now. I know the next update will fix that, but it just seems less eventful these days. I would like to see Cave Ins, and flooding. I liked how eventful 2D was..

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: September 20, 2009, 04:58:56 am »

3. Exploratory mining... this is pretty 'grind-ish'. You have to slooowly lay out line by line and hope you hit something interesting. Would be nice if this was improved.

How would you propose to "improve" this without dumbing the game down? Mining should be realistic, and this involves what you called "grinding".

I meant something like digging out several tiles at once. A tool that selects a row at once instead of having to click-click-click-click (x417). Or something that allows you to set down a mining template. Or even those ideas about having a geologist.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: September 20, 2009, 05:01:19 am »

3. Exploratory mining... this is pretty 'grind-ish'. You have to slooowly lay out line by line and hope you hit something interesting. Would be nice if this was improved.

How would you propose to "improve" this without dumbing the game down? Mining should be realistic, and this involves what you called "grinding".

I meant something like digging out several tiles at once. A tool that selects a row at once instead of having to click-click-click-click (x417). Or something that allows you to set down a mining template. Or even those ideas about having a geologist.

It's called Macro's, we just got them in fact, grab yerself D16.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: September 20, 2009, 05:10:04 am »

Nooo.. I've sworn off DF till finals! Must... resist...
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: September 20, 2009, 08:59:53 pm »

You can get things out of bins and barrels just fine to sell to elves. Either mark the items themselves to be brought to the depot instead of the bins, or bring the bins and just sell the items in them instead of the bins themselves.

This totally does not seem to work.  In fact, I have a steel battle axe right now in a bin I would like to get out of the bin to sell, and even if I go and search for "axe" nada.  I have bins full of turtle at the depot and no way I can see to get them out.

If anyone has a clue as to why I am so clueless, please let me know...?   :-\

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: September 20, 2009, 09:15:30 pm »

As far as bringing individual items to the depot, I'm not sure.

But if you just want to trade the items and not the bin, it's easy. Mark the items and not the bin! They should show up on the trade list under the bin.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: September 21, 2009, 02:48:34 am »

Hmm.

Well, they don't.  Far as I can remember they never have.  I ended up forbidding the junk in two stockpiles and opening a stockpile specifically for the forbidden junk.  Crazy but it worked.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 136