Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 309308 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1815 on: June 08, 2012, 12:50:45 pm »

Aquifers. If I for some reason embark on map where's one and it prevents me from doing pretty much anything, then its a literal turn off.

You can mod them out.
What turns you off about DF?
Some things cannot be modded out with a simple toggle setting.  =P
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: June 08, 2012, 02:12:45 pm »

I'm turned off by how you can't see stone layers anymore when looking at embarks.  Also the bugs where flux doesn't display sometimes when it's there and sometimes when it's displayed it's just dang marble 100 z layers below :(

Add how the game apparently counts microcline/orthoclase/mica etc. as metals.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Taikand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: June 08, 2012, 02:34:53 pm »

FPS death.
Come on Toady, break some laws of science and make your game work faster than possible.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: June 08, 2012, 02:38:19 pm »

Aquifers. If I for some reason embark on map where's one and it prevents me from doing pretty much anything, then its a literal turn off.

You can mod them out.

Not to mention the countless ways to dig past them.  Even by having nothing more than access to wood.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: June 08, 2012, 09:30:12 pm »

Aquifers are just boring IMO. I always give up to tedium when trying to punch trough them.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: June 09, 2012, 01:34:48 am »

I actually love the basic rectangular graphics of DF. They're my favorite thing about this game.

What turns me off is that currently I have a superpowered doom fortress with a goblin grinder and mega-trapped drawbridge, and NO DAMN GOBLINS WILL COME. Can't there be some definitive way to make the bastards appear? Send them an envoy to insult the carp out of their mothers? Something other than a mod?
Also, underpowered carp. That is all.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: June 09, 2012, 02:29:47 am »

Well, if the carp are in the goblins, then of course the silly goblin flesh will mute their awesome dwarf killing powers.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: June 09, 2012, 08:50:16 am »

There must be a carp-goblin hybrid! To terrorize dwarven children!
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: June 09, 2012, 09:24:01 am »

On the topic? Some of the military and health care bugs irritate the hell out of me. I kinda wish Toady had a bug "limit" of some sort and would keep bugs under a certain level. That said I understand the need and focus of implementing new features before fixing a part of the machine that may get rewritten later. My only question is...how many years can we expect the game to be very bug ridden? Can we expect a full bug fix focused cycle within the next year or two to exclusively fix bugs until it truly is in a more polished Beta state? Am I going to have to wait 10 more years before the ecosystem of bugs is eradicated or shrunk to a reasonable level?
Yes.

Toady loves adding things to the game. Thus we get Minecarts when there are still bugs with the military and health care.

He'll fix these bugs eventually, but in the mean-time he'll add a bunch more features which will add new bugs.

As for the point of this thread:
What really pisses me off about DF is trading. There's no way to just tell the game send every mug-like object to the Depot. There's no way to tell the game to send a bin with 7 Mugs and a Scepter to the depot, but leave the scepter in the stockpile, when your Mayor's banned the export of scepters. You've got to a) ignore the Mandate and pray you remember to sell everything but the god-damned scepter, b) hope the chump who hauls the bin to the Depot was not important, or c) stop using the bins that make running a fort that exports 500 mugs a season a viable option.

There's no way to tell which («Troll Fur Sock») is decorated with bone and which decorated with wood, so means you can't know which one will set off the Elves. Unless you go to the individual screens of every item of clothing dead gobboes drop.

There's no way to tell the game which items in a trader's list you're interested in, so you have to carefully read through the trader's list every time you do a trade, otherwise you might might buy the Echidna Blood barrel when you need Booze.

Important info about items is not easy to find. A cage with a tame roach in it looks just like an empty cage, so you just have to know that a certain proportion of your empty cage purchases are useless. If you're in a freezing Biome the same will apply to your barrel purchases, because a a Tower Cap Barrel with Frozen Echidna Blood in it is identified as Tower Cap Barrel.

You can view the contents of any of these items, but if you're a trading fort you're gonna do three or four trades per caravan, and you're gonna have 15-20 'empty' barrels and cages to view each time.

In general the biggest problem with DF is the interface. Building a simple tower requires all kinds of orders, placed in exactly the right order (or the corners won't be right), and when you're done you can only see one z-level at a time. My trading problems were caused by the interface. A lot of military problems would be easier to live with if Miners and Treecutters were noted as such in the interface, so you could tell not to make them soldiers. Getting consistent behavior across the interface would reduce the learning curve significantly.

Unfortunately interface work's the stuff Toady is most reluctant to do. He'll do bug-fixes, and add features, but he does not seem eager to go through all the numerous lists in DF and rationalize them. I can't say he's being irrational when he does this (it sounds like a lot of extremely unfun work), but I can always dream he'll do it eventually anyway.

Nick

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: June 09, 2012, 10:52:39 am »

The fact that they keys are often completely unintuitive and switch from menu to menu.
yo can move with arrows for one, and plus/minus for another. It's frustrating for a long time.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: June 09, 2012, 11:34:58 am »

The fact that they keys are often completely unintuitive and switch from menu to menu.
yo can move with arrows for one, and plus/minus for another. It's frustrating for a long time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

It's all entirely logical.  Any screen where you can still see the map uses +/-, all others use arrow keys.

I believe there is one exception to this rule, but I do not recall it offhand.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: June 09, 2012, 01:49:00 pm »

It's all entirely logical.  Any screen where you can still see the map uses +/-, all others use arrow keys.

This, its the one complaint I don't understand.

My biggest beef with the game is the lack of menus where you can type to search, like how you can with the embark screen. Granted, some more bug fixes would be great, as well as being able to see more than 1 z-level at a time, but that doesn't piss me off like having to scroll through long lists trying to find something specific.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: June 09, 2012, 01:52:38 pm »

Not being able to engrave constructed walls. I've abandoned countless forts solely due to not finding a large enough area of the same stone type/colour to make an awesome engraved dining room out of :<

(being pedantic about stuff like that sucks)

TheChosen

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: June 09, 2012, 02:38:51 pm »

Thanks all for the Aquifer tips. Didnt know it was that easy. I do feel bit dirty cheating like that, but now I can make that Island-base I've always wanted.
TheChosen cancels Mega-project: Too sane

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: June 09, 2012, 02:39:15 pm »

This, its the one complaint I don't understand.

My biggest beef with the game is the lack of menus where you can type to search, like how you can with the embark screen. Granted, some more bug fixes would be great, as well as being able to see more than 1 z-level at a time, but that doesn't piss me off like having to scroll through long lists trying to find something specific.

Oh I agree.  The menus could definitely be better.  But the scrolling is not illogical.

And I'd love a search in most of them.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 136