Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 308826 times)

change name please

• Bay Watcher
  • spending all my time at the vanity factories
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #165 on: April 19, 2009, 11:36:23 pm »

But what if the elves, in their fascination with your freakdwarf give you incredibly good deals on some diverse and useful animals?  Or, even more bizarre, offer to trade you several useful animals for your hideously deformed dwarf?  Not saying that they would, but what if?

This kind of thing never happens and never will happen so I don't see why people love to post "what-ifs" like these.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 19, 2009, 11:38:20 pm »

True, but if you want a more realistic scenario, the elves could sure as hell be intimidated by the gigantic, muscular dwarf covered in battle scars.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #167 on: April 19, 2009, 11:57:19 pm »

I think the problem we are facing here is not unlike that Will Wright suffered while Spore was in the works...and we all know how that turned out.

There are some here who are literally asking for a dumbing down of the game...I have said this before, and I will repeat: DF is all about pointless details. Take this from it, and we will have a Dungeon Keeper with worst graphics and an anemic nethack.

Is this some kind of troll?  Are you trying to make me scream? 

I realize this is a contentious topic, but there is no need for pointless abuse.  Everyone try to stay on topic and discuss things calmly.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2009, 12:53:07 am »

I've asked a few friends what they say, in response to the question:

A: 'The attention to strange bits of detail as opposed to other bits of detail that might be more useful or interesting.'

B:  ' Very little in-game help. DF is a super complex game, and while it doesn't need to hold my hand, I would really appreciate an in game help guide, or maybe even a tutorial mode. Secondly [I'd enjoy] A more streamlined interface. The joy of roguelikes are the fact that every key on a keyboard is used in some way, and I love that. But with a game as gosh dern complex as DF, I'm dying trying to figure out exactly what everything does. '

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2009, 01:04:57 am »

When I first heard of DF I fell for the sales pitch but after generating my first world the whole thing overwhelmed me, mostly it was the ascii, it was my first game with it, and I didn't know about the wiki so after about half an hour I dropped the game.

What made me come back to the game was that while reading LotR I read a blog post about DF again that mentioned the wiki and I decided to give it another go, the descriptions of Moria made the whole idea of DF all the more epic.However I didn't get over the ascii barrier until recently, I was playing using maydays set but got fed up with things looking like other things and made my own character set inspired by others and play with ascii now.

I have to say the game seems quite intimidating at first.

Now though the only thing that turns me off is that its a little too easy, I hear stories about the 2D games and want the best from those versions and the z-axis. More modding control would be nice too as I've been enjoying making my own creatures but get fed up that certain things aren't possible.

[edit]
I forgot to mention that I use DwarfManager and DwarfCompanion to fill certain gaps when it comes to the interface like quickly finding problem dwarves when it comes to moods. Without these utilities things like this would drive me nuts.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:09:03 am by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2009, 02:41:20 am »

I'd probably complain about the lack of a tutorial or some sort of easy way of learning the ropes if I hadn't already figured it out, so I'm not sure there.

Other than that I would have complained about poor performance, but the OpenGL upgrades seriously help there, so no worries.

Those two aside all that's left on my plate is "feature x that I can't wait to enjoy isn't implemented yet!" Which is a lot like saying "well, thanks for the free car, but why isn't it gold plated and run on enthusiasm instead of gasoline?"

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 20, 2009, 03:24:26 am »

Well... I've been awake for 46 hours playing Dwarf Fortress for the first time since I learned how to play.

Originally, a few months ago, I loaded it up, saw the little symbols and couldn't figure out what anything at all was, so I quit.  I couldn't even figure out how to mine.   Later, I saw the uh, Mayday tile pack, I think it's called, downloaded it, and it was like night and day.   I saw trees... and raccoons... and fish... 

Anyway, that's what got me to actually learn how to play, and I'm ecstatic that I did.  I just ordered captured goblins to be executed via lava pit for the first time, how do you think I feel? 

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 20, 2009, 04:04:30 am »

Well, at first, like everyone, I got scared away by the ASCII and the UI, but here I am, so that means I got over that.
What are my biggest complains now? Carps, oh uhm, I mean, somtimes, it takes too long for hostiles to visit your fortress. It might be fun to be able to change a few settings at the start of the game like amount of sieges and the strength of said sieges.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 20, 2009, 04:10:19 am »

Well most things that turns me off are things that will soon be implanted, but the biggest thing is that dwarfs seems to be like Screamapillars, that is sexualiy attracted to fire.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 20, 2009, 06:51:43 am »

Really there is ....

"You struck Microlines"

... nothing that would in any...

"The sun is shining"

... annoy me in Dwarf Fortress, its ---

"Dwarf McBored channels game progress, no pause for 5 secounds"

really the perfect Game.

"You struck microline"

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 20, 2009, 07:23:14 am »

YOU STRUCK ORTHOCLASE!

I'm thinking the difficulty will come back with the next update; we'll be seeing 'respawning' monsters coming in from off-map caves and whatnot, which should replicate the chasm of old.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 20, 2009, 07:37:03 am »

Documentation-wise I think Toady should rely on the wiki, maybe mention it more prominently as others have suggested. Keeping a documentation system (or a complex, scripted tutorial) up to date with development would cost already scarce development time for something that can be done fairly successful by the community.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 20, 2009, 07:46:44 am »

Only started this year (Early Spring) so I will try and remember:

I think it was my fourth fortress when I knew how to play.  Not well, but I could get the things done I wanted.

Graphics - I knew what I was getting myself in for, and it took a while to get you use ASCII, but now I wouldnt go back.  But Boatmurdered had convinced me this was a worthwhile effort.  I havent yet seen a tileset that really captures the feel of the game, as I see it, so I havent changed.  So wasnt an issue for me.

Digging, designating and buidling:
The game has the freedom to allow players to do a lot, but it seems to be access from different menus.  It took me a couple of restarts to be able to dig a stair between two Z levels.

Some thoughts:

1.  I dont understand why up and down stairs are needed to construct a single stair.  I thought to begin with they were 'one-way' traffic items, to control which stairs dwarfs used to change levels.  I dont know what we couldnt do, if 'up stair' created a stair up from the current level, and a stair down from the level above at the same time. ie a fully functioning stair (then 'down stair' creates a working stair down, and 'up/down' a pair of working stairs up and down to the levels above and below the current).

2. "I just want to build, there are two many questions just to get things built!"  I didnt understand that i had to keep selecting items, just to get a workshop built.  One option would be to simplify building at the begining, by automating the selection of rocks and blocks to build items.  A first time player is not going to be interested in colour co-ordinated workshop layouts forming the image of a giant carp, they just want it built.

Have a set of options:
Intially building an item automatically selects a random non-economic stone to build and workshop/wall etc.
First option, use blocks rather than raw stone.
Final option, select any stone/block/ metal as now.

3.Put all 'construction' items on one menu:
digging, channelling, building stairs and walls.  And stairs should be one action, whether digging or building.  The only option is whether you need a stone to build it or not (and see above for automating this) (I thought this was heresy the first time I read it, but now I am converted).

Then we can have 'buildings' including stockpiles (ie 'warehouse' building), roads.  Put garbage in stockpiles, not zones?  Its just stockpile for things marked 'D'. (and why are some workshops under 'e'?)

Then have a zones menu: fishing, movement/traffic

Then furniture?

4.  Consistancy through the menu:

Scrolling menus sometimes arrow keys and page up/down, and the next menu numpad.
Exiting menus:  sometimes F9, sometimes Space, sometimes Enter.

Rationalise 'q', 'k', 'r' and 'v'.  They all examine an object, person or room, and allow you to interact, passively or actively.  Perhaps have one key to select something for further study, then allow it to be viewed or interacted with (is this context dependant?)

And perhaps have ingame links to the wiki.  Saves re-writing it and packaging it up for download.

Might mean we all have to keep the wiki up to date, precise and accurate.

But I got through despite, so I hope this doesnt come acrros as too critical.

And thanks for the game, I am thoroughly hooked.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:04:23 am by JimiD »

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 20, 2009, 08:53:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tomato has gained friend recently.

Neurovore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2009, 08:58:00 am »

I've made it my mission to try and spread the joy of DF through my friends recently. Fortunately they already know I'm crazy so facing judgement about why I'm such a rabid DF fan has little consequence. Here's some of the common blocks I face to bringing people into the fold.

The ASCII graphics would have been by far the bigest stumbling block had it not been for pre-packaged sets like Mayday's. I don't even let my friends atempt to download DF, I just send them the pack like this. They get a little confused if they have to check the wiki or forum for question, but that level of confusion is much smaller.

The second biggest block is the interface, specificly 1) menu items aren't in any particular order, and 2) [/], {*}, [-], {+}, [PAGE_UP], [PAGE_DOWN], [*_ARROW] are used without any consistency.

I've had several people really complain about the job queueing as well. For example, if you have a messy stone hallway, and you tell your dwarves to "build a floor out of it", any stone queued up for being used to make a floor can't get moved out of the way to build a floor where the stone is, thus causing a flood of job cancellations. Also, that a dwarf will cart a stone for a week to try to make a door out of it, then get thirsty on the way and drop the stone to grab a beer, then grab a different stone from the ass end of the map to make a door out of it (only to take a nap before making it to the workshop), when all the while there is already a stone stockpile a few paces away from the workshop. Many many times jobs and materials should be selected by the workshop, not the dwarf. Dawrves stranding themselves on ledges and channeling themselves onto islands is simply infuriating as well. (On a personal note, "store owned item" should be a WAY WAY WAY higher priority task.)

One of my friends got extremely frustrated my the inability to train up specialized dwarves (like armorsmiths) and use the job manager as well. For example, if you try to use the manager to "make 20 iron shields", the jobs will be spread out evenly over all forges, even if some forges are reserved for specific dwarves, or others are intended as weapon shops, etc. Extreme micromanagement is the only way to achieve this goal. (I've tried explaining numerous workarounds, but all my explanations end up sounding over-engineered and convoluted. Yes, I'm a dwarf at heart.)

As far as the economy goes, once you've fended off a siege you're set for life because of all the GCS silk loincloths. GCS items should be extremely rare.

As far as fortress defense goes, there is a rather sudden tipping point between getting slaughtered without any level of understanding as to what went wrong and *snore*. Without mods, once there is a basic level of understanding about traps and militaries the threat level quickly changes from overwhelming to insignificant. Environmental threats need to have a better ramp-up in difficulty. The biggest suggestions I have for improvements:

• Small scale visible attacks early on, less dangerous than a full-scale siege. "Scouting parties" or "Raiding parties" for example.
  • Full sieges should be able to bypass, albeit slowly, constructed fortifications. Tunneling units have been considered. Another option could be specialized trap-disarming units. Invaders should be able to remove construction (since this is time consuming, it would give the player plenty of time to mount an appropriate response). Catapults should destroy constructions, and siegers should bring them.

I know DF is a sandbox game at heart, but without the external threats it's really just a management of booze, food, and booze.

There really should be a screen (linked to a noble maybe) just listing the happiness of the dwarves and the fortress as a whole. It would be nice to have some indicator of how close you're running to the emo-implosion fortress death. also, the more well-developed a fortress is, the more 'needy' dwarves should be. For example a dwarf should be ecstatic just to have a bed (any bed) and any table to eat at the first year or so, but once you have a Mountainhome he/she should really be expecting grand architecture and amenities to feel like things are in order.

I would also like to see some arbitrary ranking of difficulty for starting terrain, based on availability of raw materials, fresh water, magma, flux, hostile neighbors, farmable soil, etc. An early player won't have the understanding of why some starting locations are easier than others. Also, a search based on this arbitrary difficulty might be handy. Bragging rights on forums might be handy too.
DF - because the only way to properly raise a dwarven infant is by carrying it into battle in lieu of a shield.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 136