Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 308735 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1410 on: July 02, 2010, 09:36:30 am »

I think ramps are a better balanced gameplay element.

Despite the awful confusion that results from broken ramps because of their unintuitive connective structure?

inuntuitive

I wonder what this word means.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 02, 2010, 11:03:00 am »

ASCII graphics

Every time someone calls the default graphics ASCII, Random Number God kills someone's NetHack character.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 02, 2010, 11:07:03 am »

I started recently, and the biggest hurdles to overcome were... UI and graphics. The UI was simply bad, there was almost no mouse use and there were several ways to select things (k, v, q, t). The graphics were difficult to understand, as there was no "go-to" guide for what the hell everything meant - sure, in fortress mode I can press k to view something, but what about legends map mode, or embark?

Right now, I'm just waiting for the equipment and combat bugs to be fixed until I play again. Got a fortress prepared and everything.  :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 11:09:24 am by Heavenfall »
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 02, 2010, 11:10:11 am »

ASCII graphics

Every time someone calls the default graphics ASCII, Random Number God kills someone's NetHack character.

Of course, every time someone sneezes the RNG kills a NetHack* character, so...

*Or other NetHack derived game.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 02, 2010, 11:19:33 am »

I think ramps are a better balanced gameplay element.

Despite the awful confusion that results from broken ramps because of their unintuitive connective structure?

Yes. I too think they are confusing, but as a gameplay element, they are much better balanced than "HEY MY DORFS, THEY CAN FLY" stairs.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 02, 2010, 12:30:14 pm »

Yes. I too think they are confusing, but as a gameplay element, they are much better balanced than "HEY MY DORFS, THEY CAN FLY" stairs.

Or maybe a tile is bigger than you think it is, and can contain a flight of stairs.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 02, 2010, 12:38:09 pm »

Flights of stairs which can be moved into from any direction with no impediments whatsoever.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 02, 2010, 12:46:54 pm »

Flights of stairs which can be moved into from any direction with no impediments whatsoever.

This is exactly what I mean. Stairs are imbalanced, they make distances ridiculously short.

Nanban Jim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 02, 2010, 01:32:04 pm »

Tricky thing is, all posts in this thread are from players who overcame the hurdles and grasped Dwarf Fortress.

That's why I posted despite being exhausted, I've only got 3 days experience with DF and it's important to get feedback fresh.

I'm not saying simplifying the game or making the first part of the learning curve a bit shallower is a good thing. I'm just saying if you want to attract more, you need to lower the barriers to entry. If "you" want DF to be a niche game, guys, look, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Something hit me about 30 minutes ago though, one way to reduce a barrier to entry that I didn't see in the thread (granted, I skimmed every other page):

XBOX360/PS3 versions (Wii? iPhone?). Just having it available as a $1-$5 game or a freebie or something (though I think most of the services require some price as a quality control measure), with prepackaged tilesets that look nice. I'm not saying it would be easy (SDKs are available, though I doubt it would be as simple as 'Project->Build->XBOX360'), and it would take a revamp of the interface (though how many posts have said the interface needs to be rethought anyway?). But the barrier to entry of being Desktop-dependent in a tech culture that encompasses so many more platforms would be gone.

And that made me think of a--UGH!--Facebook version, but please don't do that. Retain some margin of dignity. ;)
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 02, 2010, 01:48:25 pm »

Uh.. this is a game that will bring a modern desktop to its knees, and you want to run it on a cellphone? Without a keyboard, too?

Not to mention that developers kits for pretty much all non-PC platforms (okay, Android is a nice exception) cost rather a lot. No. Not happening.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: July 02, 2010, 03:15:55 pm »

Just set it to 3 z-levels, 20 dwarves and 2x2 and you'll run it fine on a smartphone.

Not that I'd be interested in that, nor think it's something that they should spend time developing.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Nanban Jim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 02, 2010, 05:28:18 pm »

Uh.. this is a game that will bring a modern desktop to its knees, and you want to run it on a cellphone?

I don't think you understand the power of Mac Fandom. It's not "slowdown," it's "time to think of your next move." ;)

OK honestly I thought the warnings about its CPU intensiveness were a holdover from the early 90's, like in MUSH/MUX server documentation.

Without a keyboard, too?

That's actually the best part. Limiting the inputs would require a rethink of the menu system. It might actually get organized according to user requirements.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 03, 2010, 12:18:03 am »

OK honestly I thought the warnings about its CPU intensiveness were a holdover from the early 90's, like in MUSH/MUX server documentation.

Lol, no.  DF will make a 3 GHz machine cry.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 03, 2010, 01:14:48 am »

Cry? My computer always makes this humming noise, except when I'm playing DF. When playing DF, it's all silent, possibly because it can't spare any extra energy  for humming...

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 03, 2010, 04:47:34 am »

Cry? My computer always makes this humming noise, except when I'm playing DF. When playing DF, it's all silent, possibly because it can't spare any extra energy  for humming...

That silence isn't because it can't spare the energy - That silence is because your computer is in a state of complete and total awe.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 136