Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The P&P RPG Mega-Thread  (Read 2056 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The P&P RPG Mega-Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 10:40:56 pm »

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else on the forums, so I thought I'd share.

Pathfinder RPG is essentially D&D 3.6.  While 4th edition creates an entirely new game with a focus on simplifying the game, Paizo has taken the 3.5 rules and put them on steroids while cutting out and streamlining problems with the 3e system.

This is the synopsis from Paizo:

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game is an evolution of the 3.5 rules set of the world's oldest fantasy roleplaying game, designed using the feedback of tens of thousands of gamers just like you. The full game releases with the Core Rulebook in August, 2009 and the Bestiary in September. Although the Open Playtest of the Pathfinder rules has ended, you can download a free copy of the Beta Playtest Edition of the rules here. While much has changed since we released the Beta rules last year, the free preview is the best way to see what sorts of modifications are in store for the core 3.5 system that powers the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

Since Paizo released the first playtest documents in March of 2008, more than 50,000 gamers have downloaded the rules and posted their feedback, resulting in a year-long open playtest that was the largest in the history of tabletop roleplaying games. Going back to the beginning of third edition, the rules engine that powers the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game has enjoyed more than 10 years of active playtesting and revision, making it the most robust set of fantasy RPG rules ever published.

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game has been designed with compatibility with previous editions in mind, so you'll be able to use your existing library of 3.5 products with only a minimal amount of confusion. In fact, the Pathfinder RPG is designed to smooth over a number of the rough spots in the 3.5 rules set, making several existing books even easier to use. On the other hand, the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game contains numerous additional options and exciting new takes on classic character classes and races, infusing the game with a level of excitement that will carry it years into the future.

We are devoted to making the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game into the game that you want to play and we are excited to welcome you to the growing community of players, Game Masters, and designers involved with this massive project.

The Beta version is available as a free download from their site (as long as you register).  I just took a look at it and it is truly massive.  Over 400 pages (the first book contains the PHB and an "un-fluffed" DMG) with a whole crap-load of awesomeness.  They have taken ideas from 4th edition, such as making each base class much more interesting with lots of new abilities, feats, compacted skills and a boatload of new treasure and magic items.

I have been holding off from buying 4th edition because I'm bothered by the WoW-ification of D&D, and now that I've found Pathfinder I am very happy.  I'll definitely be picking this up in August, and then the Bestiary (also with much more content) in September.  If you haven't got into the 3e system, there couldn't be a better time to do so.  This is what 4th edition should have been.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:50:34 pm by lumin »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 01:46:58 pm »

Necromancy to report that Eclipse Phase is out.

http://eclipsephase.com/ep-pre-orders-pdf-and-bundle

You can order the PDF now, but the hardcover book is still being printed.
!!&!!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 04:30:48 pm »

In one of my old DnD games, my party of a persuader(me), a warrior, and a Valkyrie chick took out 10 bearded devils, about 30 lemures, and an Erinyes. The lemures were killed quickly as were the bearded devils. Though, the DM made us cheat because the warrior was based off of Link, so the DM made Tael and Navi who pointed out their weak spot. :\ Anyway, the erinyes flew up and started raining down arrows at us. I tossed my spear at her, but I couldn't throw high enough and it landed below her. The warrior grabbed out his bow and fired a few shots at her before finally hitting her wing. She began to fall, but she didn't land on the spear. She instead landed on the spear on one foot and front flipped off of it. Then after a short battle, she was dead. The warrior and Valkyrie chick were level 5 at the time and I was level 4. This encounter brought us up a level. I complained about Tael and Navi, so we didn't get as much experience. My character was a catgirl.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 05:01:26 pm »

My character was a catgirl.

brb, RAEG

Okay, back.  The cops are on their way, apparently I ransacked the neighbors' house in a fit of rage, I don't even remember what I was raging at, but it must have been pretty bad.

Anyway, Dark Heresy looks awesome(Although Disciples of the Dark Gods shamelessly steals from obscure writers), and I've always wanted to try Call of Cthulhu, but I don't know too much about it except that it's d100 system.

Oh, I remember now, I was raging about the catgi--FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFRGGHRHRHRHGGGGHHRHRRRRR
Shoes...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 05:06:18 pm »

GURPS is like DF in so many ways. Itīs a complex and hard to learn system, but once you comitted time to master it, there is a infinite ammount of joy. I can't bear to play any other system.

edit: RAEG
If a player asked me to play as catgirl, I would kill it with a tentacle demon 15 minutes after the game started. Though it would probably like it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 05:09:39 pm by thvaz »

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 05:41:57 pm »

If a player asked me to play as catgirl, I would kill it with a tentacle demon 15 minutes after the game started. Though it would probably like it.

Yeah, she wouldn't die. She'd just be... PREGNANT?
Necromancy to report that Eclipse Phase is out.

http://eclipsephase.com/ep-pre-orders-pdf-and-bundle

You can order the PDF now, but the hardcover book is still being printed.

FUCK YEAH.
Now I need monies!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 07:40:02 pm »

I had a solo session(me and the DM) with my catgirl and after slaughtering an underground bar full of hobgoblins, she was raped. :( That also made her pregnant.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 07:42:53 pm »

I hate everything about the way you play Dungeons and Dragons.
Shoes...

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 07:48:30 pm »

Excuse me, I need to search for a character sheet.
Pages: 1 [2]