Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legends that aren't quite legendary  (Read 2580 times)

Sartorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legends that aren't quite legendary
« on: April 18, 2009, 02:59:42 pm »

What's your most pathetic legend from Legends mode?
I have a female titan that's notable only for dying on the same day of the same year she encountered a dwarf, by that very same dwarf's hands.
"Life is, in a word, trade."
"Let's trade."
"You should probably try a shopkeeper."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends that aren't quite legendary
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 03:31:26 pm »

What's your most pathetic legend from Legends mode?
I have a female titan that's notable only for dying on the same day of the same year she encountered a dwarf, by that very same dwarf's hands.

Bronze Collosus Period

Sartorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 03:43:30 pm »

"Life is, in a word, trade."
"Let's trade."
"You should probably try a shopkeeper."

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 03:53:42 pm »

She feld a little rusty.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 03:56:36 pm »

Bronze Collosus Period
Explain.
Bronze Collosi are widely considered to be the weakest among the megabeasts. They die easily in worldgen, or if they come to your fortress.

I also have a sad legend to share, about a kobold cave.
It was founded by some kobold in 365, and the kobolds lived there in peace, while sometimes stealing stuff from a nearby human civilization. Eventually the humans got fed up with it, and they attacked the kobolds. No kobolds died, apparently they knew about the attack beforehand, but the little blighters were driven from their home into the wilds. 12 years later though, the kobolds reclaimed the cave, and resumed their activities. Then 6 years after that, the humans destroyed the cave again. And so it went on, over a period of 200 years, the kobolds moved in and out of the cave about 15 times. Eventually, the kobolds just gave up on it, and after the cave was destroyed in 598, the kobolds never moved back.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 09:37:13 pm »

Bronze Collosi are widely considered to be the weakest among the megabeasts. They die easily in worldgen, or if they come to your fortress.

They only die easily during Worldgen. When you meet one in your fortress, they can be quite nasty.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 10:05:29 pm »

I've had dragons and Titans but never a colossus. What exactly is their deal anyway?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 10:57:08 pm »

I've had dragons and Titans but never a colossus. What exactly is their deal anyway?
They're made from bronze - and from what I hear they are quite colossal.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 12:37:14 am »

My favorite legend was about the giant who stole a plump helmet.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 12:45:34 am »

...and the local leader who insists that your adventurer risk death to avenge its larceny

Jakkarra

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 01:01:27 am »

They're made from bronze - and from what I hear they are quite colossal.

seriously? i thought they were made of kittens and love, and were fun-sized.

good job breaking my fantasy, hero.

love, jakkarra

CloisteredSyrups

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 01:30:57 am »

...and the local leader who insists that your adventurer risk death to avenge its larceny

I laughed. Hard.

Particularly because I just got done killing a Minotaur, because apparently he stole a Rope Reed Dress.

Dangit, civilization, he just wanted to feel pretty!
Wolves tore off my adventurer's limbs, and you are reminded of pokemon?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 01:58:30 am »

Bronze Collosus have a combination of attributes that while they make them by far the most difficult Megabeast to deal with in Fortress and Adventurer mode it is however moot when it comes to World Gen.

Basically the Bronze Collosus has no Organs, cannot be blinded, Greatest Damage Block in the game, Doesn't bleed, Doesn't tire, Doesn't feel pain, virtually invincable to peircing weapons, and Heals quickly.  The Bronze Collosus is the only Megabeast who can realistically take down a fortress single handedly (and is only getting more powerful next release).

In World Generation however the Bronze Collosus is reduced basically to mud as they can die against skilless peons as early as year 6!

Yes that is right. The Bronze Collosus who can lay waste to a squad of Champions can be defeated in World Gen by Children!

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 09:14:33 am »

how does that happen? and is it the severonbreaks attribute? is there an easy way i can alter them for wordgen to make the survive?

so far all my megabeast encounters have been quite anticlimactic. all my dragons have committed suicide either by setting pet goats on fire and then burning themselves up, or by drowning themselves in my moats or water pump areas. one managed to be taken out by a single bone hunters bolt.

and i once got a titan who i redirected into the pit filled with all my fortresses pets, and they killed him.

i seriously hope that creature size gets factored in more when painful wounds are dealt, as currently it seems big creatures pass out as soon as you break one of their toes.

as for a non legendary legand, ive had all my dwarves engraving constantly about a local goblin hunter, the goblins being the only civ in the area. contravening the requirements for this thread she was pretty epic, but after decades of hunting had managed to lose most of her limbs, and after meeing and finally slaying her 20 year nemesis, a giant eagle, she lost her remaining arm and leg. wherapon she lived for several more years, managing to actually hunt and kill a few goats somehow, before being beaten to death by a sasquatch. the sasquatch was no doubt pretty happy with himself, as during her century long career she had killed several hundred of his kin.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 07:49:31 pm »

how does that happen? and is it the severonbreaks attribute?

Possibly (it would determine why Titans do better). Also the fact that the Bronze Collosus only has the standard punch attack and no martial arts.

However it is mostly because World Generation doesn't take the Bronze Collosus' advantages into consideration when determining if it will survive or not. So it basically treats them like any other Size 20 creature.
Pages: [1] 2