Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to get Seeds to work properly  (Read 1704 times)

SuperWalrus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Walruses..Millions Of Them
    • View Profile
How to get Seeds to work properly
« on: April 18, 2009, 01:16:37 pm »

i need some halp with seeds
Money can't solve all of life's problems...But sure can solve a lot of mine.

SuperWalrus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: How to get Seeds to work properly
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:17:31 pm »

i tried useing ones off of dwarf fortress wiki and there not working

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 01:47:56 pm »

What do you mean "off" the wiki? Are you talking about modded seeds? If so, could you post the raws? And if not, what do you mean?
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 01:52:52 pm »

Use a,b,c,d to cycle through the seasons and set Plump Helmet for each one. Then when that season arrives they'll plant and harvest them all season around.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 01:55:18 pm »

I think SuperWalrus is referring to the seeds for generating worlds.

It would help if we knew the manner in which they are not working.  We cannot help you much without such information.  (For that matter, we can't even figure out easily what you're talking about when you give us no details to work with.)

SuperWalrus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 10:18:33 pm »

sorry for not completely explaing about what i was talking about,and i was talking about world gen

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 11:00:21 pm »

Since version 40 or so, worldgen also has a set of parameters attached, so if you don't have those matched as well, you may well end up with a world entirely different from what the worldgen seed claims to produce.

Also, you have to first build a farm(b->p, use ijkl to set the size) on sand, clay, or mud, make sure at least one of your dwarves has planting AND gathering jobs enabled(otherwise, your Plump Helmets will wither and you'll have wasted the seeds), and as mentioned above, select your farm plot and use abcd to select the season.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 11:08:32 pm »

Use a,b,c,d to cycle through the seasons and set Plump Helmet for each one. Then when that season arrives they'll plant and harvest them all season around.
Wrong type of seed :P But then, by the looks of it, Katsuun made the same mistake before you. Weird...

sorry for not completely explaing about what i was talking about,and i was talking about world gen
Have you modified the raws in your game in any way, or the world gen settings? The vast majority of changes to things in the raws will have a huge effect on all kinds of things within the game, which includes fucking up world gen seeds...and obviously changing from the default world gen settings will mean that world gen simply will not produce the same results for you as it will for other people.
One from the wiki that should definitely work for you (because the world gen info is provided for you) is http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Pregenerated_worlds#The_Portentous_Realms - open up your DF folder, go into data, then init and open world_gen.txt. On the wiki you should see a section under The Portentous Realms that says "Game Object Data [show]". Click that and lots of text will appear inside a box. Highlight everything in that box from the line [WORLD_GEN] to the bottom and copy it. Paste it into the bottom of your world_gen.txt text file (there's no need to overwrite anything, even though you may notice that there's already a world gen titled "LARGE"). Save the text file. Load up Dwarf Fortress. Select Design New World With Parameters. On the right-hand side you'll see a list of the world gen settings that is taken directly from that world_gen.txt file you saved a moment ago. Assuming what I've mentioned is the only change you've made to this file, the options should be: Large, Medium, Small, Smaller, Pocket and Large. Select "Large" at the bottom, and press enter to gen the world.

Many seeds will require everything in your DF folder to be default, out-of-the-zip-file crap (or the person who posted the seed was too fucking incompetent to realise that any changes they made to files would mean that their wonderful seed wouldn't produce the same results for anyone else because they didn't bother mentioning all of their changes)

Just to highlight for you how much can change even by making one TINY change to a single part of a file...I had a map where I found a great location for myself. It was a 5x4 area, with a cave river, magma pipe and HFS. It had obsidian, it had flux (marble)...the only downside was that the only soil layer was peat, so I had no sand. So, I modded peat to be [SOIL_SAND]. Re-generated the world (I'm not a fan of reclaiming sites) and found the location again. This time I had red sand instead of peat (I was lucky it was sand at all), instead of obsidian and andesite I had rhyolite and diorite, and instead of marble I had conglomerate. Simply by editing peat to be considered as sand changed every single rock/soil layer across the world map that'd be generated using the exact same seed. Similarly, messing with any options in the world gen design parameters can alter the number of site rejections on a seed and result in getting a completely different world.

make sure at least one of your dwarves has planting AND gathering jobs enabled(otherwise, your Plump Helmets will wither and you'll have wasted the seeds)
Not that this is a thread for farming advice, but that's a load of bullshit if you simply choose to have all dwarves do harvesting (and ideally with that setup your farmers should NOT have food hauling activated so they can plant fresh seeds while the plant is being taken to a food stockpile. If your farmers have food hauling activated, they'll spend more time harvesting and hauling than they'll spend planting, which is a waste of time and resources)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

SuperWalrus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 03:40:18 pm »

k thx

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 07:32:23 pm »

make sure at least one of your dwarves has planting AND gathering jobs enabled(otherwise, your Plump Helmets will wither and you'll have wasted the seeds)
Not that this is a thread for farming advice, but that's a load of bullshit if you simply choose to have all dwarves do harvesting (and ideally with that setup your farmers should NOT have food hauling activated so they can plant fresh seeds while the plant is being taken to a food stockpile. If your farmers have food hauling activated, they'll spend more time harvesting and hauling than they'll spend planting, which is a waste of time and resources)
Oh hey, I should try that!

Sorry, been a while since I played, so some of the details of the game are getting fuzzy.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

SuperWalrus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 10:21:07 pm »

and the only thing i have modify is the message were it says a cat is to injurded to pick something up

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 02:19:06 pm »

[cat_mouth].  Hooray!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

SuperWalrus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 02:40:16 pm »

I know eh

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 03:56:56 pm »

I know eh
He said Eh.  Why.  Did.  You.  Say.  Eh.

But yes, dragons DO need to have their heatdam point modified, and their ignition point modified.  So they don't explode all the time.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 04:02:52 pm »

I know eh
He said Eh.  Why.  Did.  You.  Say.  Eh.

But yes, dragons DO need to have their heatdam point modified, and their ignition point modified.  So they don't explode all the time.
I think kamikaze booze smashing dragons are awesome, personally.
Pages: [1] 2