Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starter Pack.  (Read 720 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Starter Pack.
« on: April 18, 2009, 12:49:53 pm »

Hey i was wondering if theres a way to get 10 starting dwarves instead of... seven. Just for a rapid project team, i dont like spending all this time GETTING the dwarves just to make my projects.

-Quake
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
Re: Starter Pack.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:45:58 pm »

Nope, I think seven starters is hardcoded into the game.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 01:47:40 pm »

Hey i was wondering if theres a way to get 10 starting dwarves instead of... seven. Just for a rapid project team, i dont like spending all this time GETTING the dwarves just to make my projects.
An easy way to get lots of dwarves without being able to control exactly how many is to embark, then abandon the fortress, and then embark on the same location to reclaim.  You'll start with a bunch of military dwarves, and you can immediately undraft them and treat them like normal dwarves.  I'm not sure what determines how many dwarves you reclaim with, though, nor do I even know typical numbers, as I rarely do it myself.  But I do know that you can get as many as 60 or so dwarves in some cases.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 01:49:31 pm »

If you're using normal old 40d you can use the Dtil utility and its embark utility.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 01:53:31 pm »

Didn't know about those methods... just listen to them...
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 01:54:31 pm »

An easy way to get lots of dwarves without being able to control exactly how many is to embark, then abandon the fortress, and then embark on the same location to reclaim.  You'll start with a bunch of military dwarves, and you can immediately undraft them and treat them like normal dwarves.  I'm not sure what determines how many dwarves you reclaim with, though, nor do I even know typical numbers, as I rarely do it myself.  But I do know that you can get as many as 60 or so dwarves in some cases.

Depends on the danger level of the embark. If you embark on a flat chunk of land, with no river, you'll start with 7 dwarves as usual. If you embark on a chasm, bottomless pit, magma pool, magma pipe (all uncovered), plus a river full of carp, you'll start with 7 military dwarves. Usually the presence of any dangerous creatures will guarantee many dwarves, ive only ever reclaimed with 7, 30 or 70 dwarves.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 01:55:52 pm »

Wow thats one way to do it. Thanks for the help!
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 01:58:29 pm »

I reclaimed with like 53 dwarves once. Had plenty of uncovered features around but not very much in the way of dangerous creatures left.

I usually make an effort to drill into my cave rivers from the top so that the creatures can't all get at me so maybe it was still filled to the brim with watery doom.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Jakkarra

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 10:52:52 pm »

i think the reclaim party is based on fortress wealth.

reclaimed a filthy humie town once, got over twenty militants.

im pretty sure thats how it works.

love, jakkarra

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 10:54:40 pm »

i think the reclaim party is based on fortress wealth.

reclaimed a filthy humie town once, got over twenty militants.

im pretty sure thats how it works.

love, jakkarra

I think thats a factor, but not the entire thing that decides reclaim party size. I once reclaimed a fortress 3 minutes after starting it (open chasm/magma pit destroyed everyone). I got 70 dwarves.

Jakkarra

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 11:12:32 pm »

i think the amount of z-levels is also a factor, but it may only be mined ones.

love, jakkarra