Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [40d] Nemesis Unit Load Failed  (Read 4220 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Nemesis Unit Load Failed
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2009, 07:55:52 pm »

So your game should be fine if you dont have any autosaving features on?

No, older autosaves are actually the only way to recover a save that causes a Nemesis Unit Load error.  Autosave is only a problem if the game gets cut off mid-save, which generally won't happen.  And this error has been known to occur whether you're using autosave or not.  So you're better off leaving autosave on.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 03:39:06 pm »

I just had ~another~ game crash due to Nemesis.  My 4th of 5 tries.  This is getting old fast. 

And it happens early in the game - I've only once (of those 4 crashed) seen a new year and immigrants.  This one happened early Autumn, 2nd week in, about when I'd expect the Caravan.  I don't yet know how far back the corruption goes, but that's at least a season gone - and that's significant to me.

I only save and quit (never ctl+alt+del), and the Autumn auto-save was corrupted too.  Don't know how far back I have to go now, but opening an old autosave and running thru an entire season just to see is a pain.

THIS SUCKS.  If I can't get thru a year, I may become convinced this game is not playable.

Mr. Toady - sir - PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

I checked "What's coming next" - Armies, Caravans, Wounds are fine, but how about "Making the game work"? 

I'm sorry, but... I want to play this game.  And when all I get is the big Nemesis finger... please. 

As a short-term fix, could the Nemesis Unit be verified upon opening a game (instead of hours later?)  That way at least we'd know that one save is corrupted, and go back to the previous season/save.  "This file is corrupted - please open your previous save" - something like that? (Might go to helping ID the cause, too?)

The game mocks me, I strike a plaintive pose.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:59:58 pm by Albedo »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 03:59:22 pm »

Have you tried the trick we've been discussing, with copying the missing history files from an older save into the corrupted save folder?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 04:00:43 pm »

No, I had not read the back posts beyond my last post of a half-week ago (bottom of page 2), just before the file-copying was confirmed - I'll do that and try, thanks.  :-\
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 04:14:57 pm by Albedo »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2009, 05:30:40 pm »

Update - wow.

It was certainly corrupted, but the work-around ~seems~ to have been successful.

My saved games had only ONE file in them - World.sav - that's it.  I had to go back to mid Spring to find a full saved folder, with about 80 additional files in it.

I had no Art_image, no features, no region_snapshot, no unit files.  Only that one.  And for several saves between them, auto-seasonal and manual - once corrupted, it didn't seem to self-correct, just ignored anything missing.  Didn't seem to bother it before now.

Added those to the Autumn auto-save, and let it run quickly thru, got the Caravan, got a Liason, did Trading and their departure, and then thru to the Winter immigrants - all successful (at least from a functional point of view).  I don't ~see~ any diff - dwarves all have their updated skills and attributes from Autumn (as opposed to the point in the game where these files came from), items all seem to be there... dunno.  But, as the Big T points out - who knows what will happen down the road?  The game was too new for any interaction with anything beyond wildlife... We'll see...

(& thanks again, F - you da man.)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2009, 07:38:09 pm »

Well, cool.  If it's a halfway viable solution, this might warrant a wiki article or a sticky or something.
Pages: 1 2 [3]