Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dev Update: 04/17/2009  (Read 5568 times)

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Update: 04/17/2009
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 02:20:37 pm »

But come on.  Wouldn't it be awesome if Toady suddenly found himself lumbered with a support staff to teach and direct?  Think how much sooner we'd get updates!

This is Valve we're talking about.  Speed isn't something they're really known for.

They are however, known for quality. It'd be cool if some of those Valve fans donated though.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 02:27:04 pm »

One hing to say to the O great and benvolent toad. Don't go EA
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 02:51:45 pm »

I doubt DF would want anything to do with Steam.  It wouldn't be right.  I think of DF as a "cult game"  with a very helpful, caring, and small community.  The classic Counter-Strike nerd would want nothing to do with DF.  I'm usually wrong when I make accusations though.  *ducks under table*

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 03:02:35 pm »

I doubt DF would want anything to do with Steam.  It wouldn't be right.  I think of DF as a "cult game"  with a very helpful, caring, and small community.  The classic Counter-Strike nerd would want nothing to do with DF.  I'm usually wrong when I make accusations though.  *ducks under table*

Steam does a lot more than just CS...indeed, it does a lot more than just Valve games.

It's a great and cheap way to push independent games. Look at Audiosurf, or Braid, or Tower of Goo, or all those millions of other independent games that THRIVE over Steam.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 03:18:14 pm »

I've never gotten any non-Valve games on Steam.  I guess there is others.  I wouldn't get them though.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 03:23:46 pm »

BAH! Steam and Toady, I don't know shit about Steam but being Toady_One's fans we have shown much more, MUCH more support than any other large gaming company!

Unless of course Toady_One turns out to be one of those self centered attention gobbling, no glory sharing etc people. Than untill that time comes, we don't have much to worry about.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 03:35:46 pm »

What if Toady One is just a made up person and we are all under the spell of some hallucinate?   What if the whole world is made up?  What if--*hurk*

How did he get away this time?  Make sure to tie him up good this time.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 05:20:40 pm »

Valve Developer: Yeah, so we've been working on making our characters more realistic. We've got some really convincing skin now.

Toady: Oh yeah, I've been working on skin tissues myself. At first, it turned out I wasn't using the right value for breaking and elasticity, so when another creature tried to rip out it's target's heart, it wouldn't break the skin. Bones would shatter fine, and it would bruise the surrounding organs right, so it was a quick fix. What are your hair grow rates? I think I'm using too fast a value for Dwarves between the ages of 5 and 12. I had this one girl with a 5'o'clock shadow at 10, but heh, they're Dwarves, so I don't know whether to call it a bug or a feature, heh. But she had a clean personality, so she kept herself pretty well shaved. Cut herself once too, and it got infected because the shaving kit had been too close to a pile of decomposing dog veins that another Dwarf was collecting for a a few mood. She was in the Aristocratic class though, so the Doctors patched her up fine.

Valve Developer: wibble
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 05:29:49 pm »

Valve Developer: Yeah, so we've been working on making our characters more realistic. We've got some really convincing skin now.

Toady: Oh yeah, I've been working on skin tissues myself. At first, it turned out I wasn't using the right value for breaking and elasticity, so when another creature tried to rip out it's target's heart, it wouldn't break the skin. Bones would shatter fine, and it would bruise the surrounding organs right, so it was a quick fix. What are your hair grow rates? I think I'm using too fast a value for Dwarves between the ages of 5 and 12. I had this one girl with a 5'o'clock shadow at 10, but heh, they're Dwarves, so I don't know whether to call it a bug or a feature, heh. But she had a clean personality, so she kept herself pretty well shaved. Cut herself once too, and it got infected because the shaving kit had been too close to a pile of decomposing dog veins that another Dwarf was collecting for a a few mood. She was in the Aristocratic class though, so the Doctors patched her up fine.

Hahaha, exactly.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 05:44:29 pm »

Haha.

Heck I read that any expansions to half-life 2 are given to half life 2 owners for free (as long as they have steam I assume).  I can't figure out any other reason why Lost coast ended up on my steam games list ready for download without my input.

Lost Coast is a tech demo for HDR rendering that you can "beat" in 5-10 minutes.  The real expansions, HL2 Episodes 1 and 2, aren't free.  Valve is still a pretty cool developer though, and they got much love for the PC crowd (unlike so many other once-stalwart PC developers, Epic, Monolith, etc.).

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 06:28:21 pm »

I've never gotten any non-Valve games on Steam.  I guess there is others.  I wouldn't get them though.

Well that's a shame isn't it. There's a lot of indie games you might like, considering you like DF. There are a lot of great games on steam, the vast majority not made by valve. A lot of indie games get selling contracts and put their games up. (eg, mount and blade)
Magma is overrated.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 06:35:58 pm »

Audiosurf is awesome.  Especially if you have a lot of MP3s or OGGs. It has a worldwide database too that compares the scores that everybody in the world got on that particular song.  And not off of some pre determined list of songs either.  ANYTHING.  It seems like it notes down the filename and compares it to the database, if that song doesn't exist in the database the game adds it to the database.

There were a bunch of songs I'm surprised other people played too.  There is a big list of people who have high scores on the DF title and main themes.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2009, 06:36:18 pm »

Most of the indie games I see on Steam I could just get on their official website without going through steam, I don't know why you assumed I wouldn't get them, I LOVE DF!!

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2009, 06:58:28 pm »

Valve hasn't been giving away expansions for free, but they have been letting owners of any Source-engine game play all the source mods they've made available on Steam. If you only have Half-Life 2 with none of the expansions, you can play a mod that's meant only to work with an expansion. That's pretty cool.

Valve is almost certainly developing a next generation engine in secret. Valve has not released any new PR stuff on HL2:Episode 3 or HL3 for any number of potential reasons. For example, they released movies and screens of HL2:Ep2 that featured stuff that was cut from the final game, including story elements that never happened. They probably are playing it safe this time around.

EDIT: Removed mention of a fake HL3 screenshot.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 07:01:41 pm by Rusty Mcloon »

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2009, 07:37:31 pm »

They do release all updates for the games for free. Look at the amount of content released for Team Fortress 2 - that's at least two full expansions that other companies would likely charge for, surely.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4