Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Destructible trees  (Read 2451 times)

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Destructible trees
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 05:46:32 pm »

Also I was a bit disappointed when I fired a catapult and didn't hit any goblins.. I hit a darn TREE! and it acted like it didn't even care. The rock actually broke upon impact and the tree was all like "That don't impress meee much! ah-ah-ah-yeeah."

That tree should have mobilized and come after you.
In before witty Macbeth joke.

Trying to dodge entropy?  ;)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 06:35:15 pm »

Also I was a bit disappointed when I fired a catapult and didn't hit any goblins.. I hit a darn TREE! and it acted like it didn't even care. The rock actually broke upon impact and the tree was all like "That don't impress meee much! ah-ah-ah-yeeah."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRudyRfZhDE

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 07:49:45 pm »

Nope.  Trees are technically constructions,

You keep saying this, so I guess I'll nitpick after all.  Trees are a tile type.  Constructions are another set of tile types.  But trees aren't constructions by any normal usage.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 10:23:15 pm »

OP:  It is a bug.  Ignore it and wait for it to be fixed.

Its been around since 2d, judging by screenshots from Boatmurdered.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 10:22:16 am »

• Req553, FLOWS VERSUS TREES, (Future): Water and magma should be able to flow passed (and burn for magma) trees.

Copied from the development blog.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 06:24:28 pm »

While fire may not always take out trees, I'm calling bullshit on any tree that claims to withstand lava and or magma.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 07:01:07 pm »

Trees should have a higher "melt" (combust?) point than grass, obviously - grass fires should mostly bypass them. But lava and big fires should totally take them out. Actually, maybe not take them out - but at least change their tile type to like a useless "burnt stump" that just dissapears when harvested instead of yielding useful wood.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 08:12:08 pm »

Nope.  Trees are technically constructions,

You keep saying this, so I guess I'll nitpick after all.  Trees are a tile type.  Constructions are another set of tile types.  But trees aren't constructions by any normal usage.
No, a special kind of construction.  The are unaffected by temperature, they always drop what they are made of when destroyed, with the possible exception of getting hit by a ballista, they block flows, and cause "cave-ins" when they are unsupported, as a single constructed wall would when carving the tile beneath them.  For all intents and purposes, they function just like walls that simply grow randomly and require specific equipment and skills to deconstruct.  Keep in mind that the game has a completely different way of viewing things (such as what a "construction" is, or what to do when an object is missing from the raws) than you do. 

By the logic that they aren't used like other constructions, none of the other constructions can be defined as constructions because they all perform different functions (even up, down, and up/down stairs, when you think about it).

Anyway, aren't trees as they are now just a placeholder?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 08:46:09 pm »

Keep in mind that the game has a completely different way of viewing things (such as what a "construction" is, or what to do when an object is missing from the raws) than you do.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Tile Types:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note the explicitly named construction tiles down at the bottom.  Trees aren't included.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 09:04:31 pm »

And yet, those are still only labels for something in-game.  It wouldn't make much sense for Toady to actually call trees constructions in any sort of interface, would it?  The word "constructed" and "ramp" are connected by an underscore, meaning the game isn't reading anything special out of the "construction" part on its own - it is the whole of that line of text that the game understands.

How a program works and the wording aren't necessarily the same thing, seeing as how computers have a completely different language than us.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 09:10:00 pm »

Magma ain't that hot...

Some famous last words if I even heard them

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 09:12:37 pm »

And yet, those are still only labels for something in-game.  It wouldn't make much sense for Toady to actually call trees constructions in any sort of interface, would it?  The word "constructed" and "ramp" are connected by an underscore, meaning the game isn't reading anything special out of the "construction" part on its own - it is the whole of that line of text that the game understands.

How a program works and the wording aren't necessarily the same thing, seeing as how computers have a completely different language than us.

Those aren't from the interface, they're Toady's own names for the tile types in the source code (probably names of integer constants).  Your definition of "construction" is entirely your own invention and inconsistent with all available information. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:14:36 pm by Footkerchief »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2009, 10:19:47 pm »

Those aren't from the interface, they're Toady's own names for the tile types in the source code (probably names of integer constants).  Your definition of "construction" is entirely your own invention and inconsistent with all available information. 

He means that from an engine perspective, tree objects are treated the same as construction objects.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 10:37:14 pm »

I stop this pointless argument over the exact nature of trees before somebody gets compared to Hitler.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2009, 10:40:19 pm »

DON'T MENTION HIM!
Pages: 1 [2] 3