Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: For next or post-next versions, Open Wound + Miasma = Infection  (Read 1349 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The details I haven't quite decided on yet, but if the hospital room type is being implemented, I thought it might be reasonable to provide incentive to keep the injured away from potential sources of infection. Since wound infection and sepsis is delayed for the next version, maybe miasma exposure would just make healing take longer, or cause necrosis if exposure is too long. Or something. Discuss.
!!&!!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: For next or post-next versions, Open Wound + Miasma = Infection
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:08:47 am »

Sounds like a good idea, plus it makes miasma a threat. I'm all for it.

That, and it gives us a controlled method to produce infections.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 01:14:36 am »

I'd like to see how diseases and infections are handled in the next version, before I'm sure how I feel about this idea.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 03:16:20 am »

I think it's important to note that it would only be a threat to the injured, not to just the healthy, working dwarves. They'd need to be the ones cleaning up, after all. I'm just thinking that there should be incentive of some kind to keep your injured and wounded away from rotting meat, and perhaps eventually, flies and other vermin somehow.
!!&!!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 03:26:24 pm »

Flies generating miasma will probably be changed

I don't really see dwarves being exposed to miasma that much really. Sure, why not but seems rather frivolous

Jakkarra

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 02:11:42 am »

i wouldent say it was frivolous, but id suggest having miasma exist for longer, and have  larger range, that should make this work a little better.

still brilliant idea.

love, jakkarra

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 02:04:47 pm »

i wouldent say it was frivolous, but id suggest having miasma exist for longer, and have  larger range, that should make this work a little better.

still brilliant idea.

love, jakkarra

Miasma is disgusting and only ONE stupid baby can fill a 10x10 room with miasma sometimes. Hell ordinary lizards can easily fill a 6x6 room.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 03:07:16 pm »

I like it!

One thing I've always tried to figure out was a way to weaponize miasma.  If it causes risk of infection in open wounds, then there you go: flood your battlefield with miasma, turn your crossbowmen loose, and suddenly in addition to the bizzarre lethality of piercing weapons, any invaders which survive risk being infected and dying a slow, horrible death even if they escape the battlefield.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 03:40:44 pm »

ooh! use a majillion weak weapon traps and send in a rotting cricket!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 11:22:25 pm »

Technically, miasma is just a bad smell.
It was believe for a while that miasma (aka bad smell) causes disease, before they discover that diseases are actually caused by air-borne pathogen...

But this is dwarf fortress, we can have mythical diseases being carried on miasma that sicken dwarf it touches...

Hm... the fog of death.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 02:00:07 am »

Well, it's not that it's the Miasma causing it per se. Think back to when rotting cattle were weaponized in castle sieges as a method of spreading disease. It's not a matter of keeping bad smells out, it's a matter of keeping sources of infection away, and it just so happens that Miasma is generated by a common source of infection, decaying biological matter.
!!&!!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 04:01:16 am »

One dead roach on the other side of the room should not cause an injured dwarf to get gangrene.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 09:51:14 am »

I think we should all reflect on the knowledge gained from the dark ages:

Widespread disease is caused by tainted food/water sources (biological warfare would make for horrifying sieges, enjoy tearing up most of your beds simply to boil the water from that once-clean brook), vermin (rats spreading the plague), and lack of hygiene (oh god, the dwarves are screwed).  OK, I don't have any official knowledge on this.  I should have read Guns, Germs and Steel.  But the vermin thing is real, fo sho, lack of hygiene is undeniable, and we all want to throw rotted cow carcasses over castle walls.

That said...  Miasma should be a symptom of tainted food/water, not the actual cause of disease.  Not that the dwarves wouldn't confuse the two, as other medieval folk would.  In fact, particularly festering wounds could CAUSE miasma.  Also, please please please have lepers forced to live outside the city gates, subsisting on the pity of locals.

Further, airborne pathogens seem totally fine, but should be spread immediately between dwarves, or on items both dwarves touch ('flu covering' on a coin, yikes).  Not only do thing like that fail to linger (although who is to say in a damp, uncirculated cave), but the notion of simulating any sort of disease "fluid" seems totally processor frivolous.

Though a magical creeping fog of death sounds great.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 08:27:48 pm »

wouldn't(theoretically) add much to the game.  Miasma is already simulated, and dwarves already check when they walk through it.  Adding an extra step which sees if the dwarf has any currently open wounds would be fairly minor.

If we wanted to get complex, then wound severity would be a base infection rate, probably something from 1-50%(50% being "my torso is open and I can rifle through my guts on the table in front of me," but at that point you have more pressing matters than a disease, anyway).  Every turn the dwarf is in a miasma-occupied square, he has that chance to get sick.  If he's sick, then we don't worry about it.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 09:13:04 pm »

wouldn't(theoretically) add much to the game.  Miasma is already simulated, and dwarves already check when they walk through it.  Adding an extra step which sees if the dwarf has any currently open wounds would be fairly minor.
But the objection is that it's wrong.  Clouds of stench and miasma do not actually spread infection in the real world.  Dwarf Fortress has 14th century technology, yes, but the world is generated and run on realistic principals; and some stinky rotten milk on the other side of a hallway will not actually infect your wounds in reality, no matter how annoying it is.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: [1] 2