Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: For next or post-next versions, Open Wound + Miasma = Infection  (Read 1350 times)

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
Re: For next or post-next versions, Open Wound + Miasma = Infection
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 02:30:17 am »

While not actually anything to do Miasma, this thread has made me think of what some armies actually used in sieges.

Catapult + diseased animals = Infection.

Ok, so not quite the original intent of your thread but having the ability to break a siege by infecting all the invaders with plague ridden animals being lopped from a fortified position while the dwarfs inside throw tantrums because their favorite flea ridden mingebag pet is being turned into catapult fodder.

However there is away to simulate infection and sickness within the fortress. Airborne contagions could be modeled the same way as Miasma as a cloud of some sort which follows infected units. Both dead or alive ones, the more contagious the bigger the cloud.

Or to model blood based infections (plague and others) you have it so vermin which in habit your fort have a change of infecting your dwarves if they get too close (transmission by fleas if you will). Then you would have the horrible dilemma of "Crap if I mark all my cats for slaughter, the rats will run free and we will all get infected. But if have too many cats: Cat-astrophe!
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 05:50:24 pm »

wouldn't(theoretically) add much to the game.  Miasma is already simulated, and dwarves already check when they walk through it.  Adding an extra step which sees if the dwarf has any currently open wounds would be fairly minor.
But the objection is that it's wrong.  Clouds of stench and miasma do not actually spread infection in the real world.  Dwarf Fortress has 14th century technology, yes, but the world is generated and run on realistic principals; and some stinky rotten milk on the other side of a hallway will not actually infect your wounds in reality, no matter how annoying it is.

No, the smell of stinky rotten milk will not give you an infection, but the bacterial and fungal spores that are released into the air -will- infect you if given the opportunity.
!!&!!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 05:53:48 pm »

I'm not afraid...
you will be.
don't let your dwarves sleep in the room with the milk
Pages: 1 [2]