Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any way to make beds out of metal?  (Read 1868 times)

foolcow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there any way to make beds out of metal?
« on: April 17, 2009, 10:14:34 pm »

Or any material other than wood?

Thanks

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any way to make beds out of metal?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 11:00:08 pm »

Alas, apart from the strange nature of artifacts beds can only be made of wood. You can make a new wood in the raws that sounds like metal and have a reaction that makes beds, but:
1. Must be made in a smelter.
2. Never has quality
3. Very hacky. And requires a new world-gen. And unless you know what you are doing, very easy to get nothing.

In theory you could have the reaction make logs of wood that have the same properties as the metal, but then we end up with metal windmills.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 11:04:37 pm »

You could make a smelter reaction that takes a bar of metal and turns it into a metal bed, but you'd need to make a seperate reaction for every metal you want to make the bed out of.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 11:57:21 pm »

Or any material other than wood?

Thanks

Ignore all of the above posts. You can make beds out of pretty much anything using smelter reactions and they work fine. You only need one reaction to cover all beds, but keep in mind they will all come out as the same material regardless of what you put in.

Put this in reaction standard:

[REACTION:METAL_BEDS]
[NAME:make metal beds]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BED:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]

And regen your world.

protip 1: If you don't want to regen, replace everything but the first line in a reaction you currently don't use often. this will replace that reaction with this one, and you won't have to regen.

protip 2: If you don't like all your beds coming out as iron beds, make a new entry into matgloss_metal which is just called 'metal' and has average properties. Replace IRON with METAL, and all your beds will show up as 'metal bed'.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 01:03:39 am »

I thought adding [ANY_USE] or similar tag to the metal would make it able to be made into bed? I seem to recalls that one could make Adamanite bed (haven't looked to check on it though )

foolcow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 01:27:44 am »

I added the following reactions; the dwaves seem to prefer the stone beds to both metal and wood when given the choice, though it might just be random chance.

[REACTION:TIN_BEDS]
[NAME:craft tin bed]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:TIN]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BED:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:TIN]
[FUEL]

[REACTION:OLIVINE_BEDS]
[NAME:craft olivine bed]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:2:STONE:NONE:STONE:OLIVINE]
[REAGENT:2:CLOTH:NONE:CLOTH:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BED:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:OLIVINE]
[FUEL]

[REACTION:MICROCLINE_BEDS]
[NAME:craft microcline bed]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:2:STONE:NONE:STONE:MICROCLINE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BED:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:MICROCLINE]
[FUEL]

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 03:17:29 am »

Note though as those are reactions quality is not applied to them, they are simply standard beds *you ever heard of a furnace operator producing a perfect gold bar?*

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 12:07:48 pm »

You know.. I haven't tried this but it might be possible to create a metal wood inside the matgloss_wood file, and create a smelter reaction to produce it. 

Then you could use the carpentry workshop to create the bed out of the wooden metal...

Just uhhh be carefull not set the wood to grow anywhere... iron tree's probably would be a lil weird...

It would be a wood but it would be named a metal so you could in theory get a golden bed that way, and it could have quality levels.  (Major caveat -> Never actually tried this.. just a theory)
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 10:57:59 pm »

protip 2: If you don't like all your beds coming out as iron beds, make a new entry into matgloss_metal which is just called 'metal' and has average properties. Replace IRON with METAL, and all your beds will show up as 'metal bed'.
If you use [PRODUCT:100:1:BED:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:NO_MATGLOSS], you'll get "metallic beds" made of no particular metal. However, IIRC they have a value of zero points.

Personally, I've modded two different approaches to this, the "high road" and the "low road". I can now fully operate a fortress with no actual wood. The high road involves smelting iron bars into "ironwood", which can then be carpentried as desired, including used by carpenters in strange moods and getting high-quality ironwood beds from legendary carpenters. The low road involves creating a cheap metal, which can be used directly for bins and barrels, and adding a recipe to smelt cheap beds out of it(which can't have quality mods, as BlazingDav said).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, note that WOOD is both an item type and a material type, so a reaction with [PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON] may work.

There's also a thread around here about making hammocks out of cloth.
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 12:37:09 am »

A reaction with [PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON] will work, or at least it did in the past. Someone did this with adamantine in order to make catapult parts, as only log items are accepted as material, so the game was requesting metal logs.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Therosfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 07:12:45 pm »

Would the low road way not be doing something like,

[REACTION:FREE_WOOD]
[NAME:Harvest Unground Tree]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:OAK]

That?

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 09:59:39 pm »

If you use [PRODUCT:100:1:BED:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:NO_MATGLOSS], you'll get "metallic beds" made of no particular metal. However, IIRC they have a value of zero points.

Have you tried this? I thought all values defaulted to 0 for no matgloss metals, causing them to boil.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 10:10:11 pm »

Have you tried this? I thought all values defaulted to 0 for no matgloss metals, causing them to boil.

The zombie mod does something similar with 'metal' bullet molds. They don't boil away, but they are ungodly heavy.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 01:09:17 am »

Would the low road way not be doing something like,

[REACTION:FREE_WOOD]
[NAME:Harvest Unground Tree]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:OAK]

That?
Well, if by "low" you mean "cheating", then the [REAGENT] token should be removed entirely. (I think it'll error and get removed anyway, though.) However, what I meant by "low" was "cheap and crappy". When I just need places for people to sleep, I make stump-iron beds; when I want beds they'll like, I make ironwood beds. I GM tabletop RPGs, I like balance :J

Yes, I've tried exactly that; it was entirely by accident, in making the stump-iron bed recipe I made a copy/paste error that resulted in that [PRODUCT] token. The point value was determined by viewing the item stats. The "metallic" beds survived long enough I think they were there to stay; they were the first ones made, and that fortress hit the sheriff message and then a bit before I deleted it for a new mod ver, and they were still around then.

Guessing from my observations, "default to zero" is when no material is applied, but each material has default values which are usually overridden by the matgloss. I've also created wood and cloth with no matgloss by similar accidents(specifying NO_MATGLOSS on a reagent means "any"), and they were also unremarkable for their material type.
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.