Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Generation Issues  (Read 614 times)

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
World Generation Issues
« on: April 17, 2009, 03:43:55 pm »

I read somewhere on the forums that, if I want a world that has lots of volcanoes, to set volcanism to 30-100 and minimum volcanoes to 200 (max-size map), but this just spams rejects until I get irritated.

Does anyone here know a way to generate a world that's more likely to have my perfect site?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for the high cliffs I like, that's actually pretty easy in the advanced map generation parameters.  Set "Periodically Erode Extreme Cliffs" to no.  I've seen a lot of people talk about how it's impossible, but this gives me some nice cliffs.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Generation Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 07:01:33 pm »

Reset the volcanism to 0-100.

Go to the 'weighted mesh ranges' for volcanism, and turn up the weight on high volcanism tiles.

If that still doesn't work, then also turn up the weight for high elevation tiles.

hillburra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 07:09:28 pm »

Don't forget to turn off the minimum limits on low vulcanism regions, that lower limit is places of 33 and under and most likely what is causing all your rejects
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 08:17:47 pm »

Cool, thanks.  I'll take a shot at this.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 09:25:17 pm »

Also, if you do manage to find a site with all that stuff (it seems you want...everything) be sure to post it online. Because it is incredibly rare. You will probably need a large embark area. Sand, flux, magma, water, and trees in the same place is quite rare itself even without the other features you're looking for. When you gen your world try upping the # of river start locations pre and post erosion, turning up the high drainage weights (for sand) and increasing the number of mountain and forest biomes (while reducing grasslands or some other garbage). That should give you a good shot a finding something.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 09:32:23 pm »

Does anyone here know a way to generate a world that's more likely to have my perfect site?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I should point out that the Dwarf Heaven site has all this.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:35:20 pm by Michaelsoftman »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 09:34:01 pm »

Might I direct you to?
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32682.0

Every feature except a magma pool. It has sand, flux, HFS, bottomless pit, chasm, river, underground river, underground pool, magma pipe, plenty of trees, plenty of gold ore, and an aquifier. Also, there is an extremely large range of z-levels to play around in, but you'd have to engineer your own  sheer cliff faces.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.