Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GHOSTS!  (Read 2313 times)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
GHOSTS!
« on: April 17, 2009, 03:22:37 pm »

just a comment from another thread about burials but goddamn I think it deserves it's own:

Quote from: Aspgren
How about if the dwarf DOESN'T get his burial the way he likes it.. it'd be awesome to have his ghost haunt the place. Not sure what the ghost would actually DO but ... I suppose it'd make noises creating "slept uneasily due to noise lately" and scare dorfs coming in to do other errands .. or flat out attack them.

wouldn't that just be awesome? there could be any number of conditions under which a dwarf might haunt your fortress

i'd think it aught to be a rare occurence, there'd be many possible ways for a dwarf to come back as a ghost but there'd only be a small chance it'd actually happen.

ghosts might come about from:
-a murdered dwarf; from a fell mood, or a hammering, or just plain murder (if crimes beyond 'didn't make a glass item on a sandless map' get implemented)
-a suicide from a failed mood or just plain depression
-a corpse left to rot without burial (maybe even dwarven zombies on an evil map? maybe even infectious zombies!)
-many dwarves dying in the same area (don't go into the pass, thats where Urist McUnfortunate and his entire squad were slaughtered by the ____s!, they say you can still hear him scratching his beard on moonless nights)
-use your imagination! :D

and possible effects:
-perhaps only small hints of haunting. ghosts usually wouldn't be visible (most of the time, maybe they're revealed if near a cat! XD)
-would occasionally scare other dwarves, or cause negative thoughts (felt an eerie chill recently, heard unearthly noises, saw a ghastly image)
-poltergeisting! loose objects being thrown around, doors opening, maybe even the occasional lever mysteriously thrown
-more possessions! perhaps the dwarf would create an artifact with hints of the deceased on it. images of the dwarf, or the event that caused their death.

:D

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: GHOSTS!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 04:03:24 pm »

hm.

Flattered that you enjoy my ghosts as much as I do, but shouldn't an artifact summoned by the undead be.. evil? Cursed?
Like this. A statue causes negative thoughts instead of good. A weapon has a chance of damaging the dwarf that is holding it, armor and clothes do the same. A cursed bucket runs full of poison, wounding the intestines of those who drink from it. A bed in which dwarves suffer nightmares most foul (brain damage) etcetera.

Something along those lines anyway. It doesn't make much sense that something negative (haunting) would bring about good things. (artifacts)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 04:14:46 pm »

It's in the devs.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 04:18:02 pm »

Would you look at that. it is.

It's an entire arc in itself too. Awesome.
I have an art blog now.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 04:26:02 pm »

hot damn.

well, i guess i aught to stop posting while medicated XD

Jakkarra

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 09:38:44 pm »

i quite like this idea, but it may need some refinement,

also (reeeeeeeeeeealy sorry, its just bothering me) and i know this would sound very nit-picky, its spelled ought. sorry

Love, jakkarra

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 09:45:34 pm »

Haha, I like this idea.

I don't think it should happen all the time, but if you leave your Legendary/ Ultra-mighty/ Superdwarvenly Tough King commits suicide and you leave his bones ignored in the dirt, it should come back to haunt you, or more specifically, your dwarves.

Failed moods would be likely to produce ghosts to.

A lot of that ghost mythology revolves around people dying before they accomplish some immense personal task, you know.

There should be, however, some way to exorcise these ghosts and purge them from your hallways.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 10:19:12 pm »

i quite like this idea, but it may need some refinement,

also (reeeeeeeeeeealy sorry, its just bothering me) and i know this would sound very nit-picky, its spelled ought. sorry

Love, jakkarra

You shouldn't have done that ... he'll never forgive you..
I have an art blog now.

Jakkarra

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 10:44:10 pm »

crap.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 06:55:57 pm »

As long as I can appease them somehow. It'll suck losing someone's corpse into the well and being haunted for centuries for it

Failed artifacts producing possessions that don't count toward artifact limit would be fun. The item made would be the one the guy failed making of course. He'd probably do it through a friend if one is available

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 12:26:18 am »

Dwarves that died on guard come back as ghosts on guard that still patrol the hallways and jailing anyone foolish enough to break the law.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 04:17:03 am »

whoa... I have been using aught in the sense of ought... forever.

EDUMACATION!

thank you... *manly nerd tears*
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 04:18:56 am by AncientEnemy »

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 04:20:56 am »

Yes, there ought (yay) to be ways to deal with ghosts once created. Perhaps by building them a very good tomb, or (I've been watching too much Supernatural lately) burning their remains!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 09:36:36 am »

This is probably also mentioned somewhere in the dev notes, but it'd be neat if artifacts had a history of being remade after being lost.  Especially when that holy artifact sword is reforged in response to the appearance of a long-lost evil ring.  Yeah.

Ghosts, or some external magical influence, should be the cause of moods.  Also probably in the dev notes.  I need to go read them all, for a third time.  Or make a tagged, offline database that I can flip through.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 12:17:11 pm »

"Aught" is actually a real word, although not one in very common use, any longer. It basically means the opposite of "nought".

Aught = something/anything

Nought = nothing. 
For they would be your masters.
Pages: [1] 2