Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keeping interest in a fortress  (Read 978 times)

lackofgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Keeping interest in a fortress
« on: April 17, 2009, 01:04:32 pm »

i have no problem in creating working fortresses and maintaining them, but i always lose my interest in them.
ive only had one castle thats gotten sieged ( and the seige was really easy to fend off )

the main problem i think is that i want to keep a nice design on my fortress. wich in turn means that when i fuck something up ( mine some area that i shouldnt have mined ) i give up and start anew

ive also tried starting megaprojects, but since i want to create the idea right away it builds too slow since you only start with 7 dwarves.

anyway, how do you guys keep yourself entertained?

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping interest in a fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 01:14:59 pm »

2 words: Orc Mod
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 01:17:30 pm »

Magma. And not planning.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

death

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 01:22:50 pm »

I find an area with aquifa. Makes it hard to get to stone, no mountains, very little ores (I have to buy msot things.). Then start a mega project at 20 dwarves. Expand out of my walls at 50. Start multiple villages at 80. I find lots of thigns to do. Then I hoep a dragon coems and burns the wooden village to the ground.

The strength of the pack is in the Wolf. And the strength of the Wolf is in the pack.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 05:15:03 pm »

I am facing the same propleme, I am in a gigantic ocean right now and after breaching the "!"§)/&! aquifer "$"§$ it proves no problems. The only thing keeping me there right now is the automatic carp-feeder, but the complete lack of lignite or any other fun ground stuff kills it for me...

crimsonbinome22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 07:08:58 pm »

Find some new and genius way to kill elves. If it involves kittens, even better.

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 10:23:45 pm »

DF is a sandbox game, and like every other sandbox game, the point is to make your own fun! I find coming up with new and interesting ways to take advantage of the game engine and make ever more complex and interesting contraptions keeps me well entertained... oh and my giant epic city that I'm slowly tinkering away on.
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Deracination

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 11:15:19 pm »

As you set up your fortress, spend your time building an extravagant, ingenious, mechanical merchant death machine. Kill every caravan you see. Let all your children get snatched by snatchers. Employ a team of ten lumberjacks to strip the landscape of anything resembling life. When this is done, rest assured, fun will be on its way.
I don't know what amazed me more, my first self-referencing artifact or an enraged groundhog tearing out my hunter's left eye after being stricken mace-style by a crossbow.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 06:35:16 am »

As you set up your fortress, spend your time building an extravagant, ingenious, mechanical merchant death machine. Kill every caravan you see. Let all your children get snatched by snatchers. Employ a team of ten lumberjacks to strip the landscape of anything resembling life. When this is done, rest assured, fun will be on its way.
Yeah, what a completely safe and fun-creating idea...
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 01:51:07 pm »

I usually have themed fortresses and change the popcap around them. I had a zoo lately with just 11 Dwarves, most of which who were animal trainers and trappers. I'd just collect the animals and use them to trade for better animals. I did lose interest fast though D;