Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tree-farming, above or under ground  (Read 450 times)

runcible spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tree-farming, above or under ground
« on: April 17, 2009, 12:33:32 pm »

I'd like to start a tree-farm/garden (more for effect than lumber), but I'm not sure how to go about this.  My map doesn't have an underground river/pond, so tower caps won't grow - does anyone know if it's possible (with tweak or something) to add in either an underground feature, or at least set the flag so tower-caps will grow?  I'd really love to be able to make a cave-grotto with tower-caps and all.

Alternatively, I've got a lovely valley that I could wall in, but I'm wondering if trees will grow on muddy rock?  Can you move soil?  Or, at least, use a program to create it?  I really need a dwarven wheelbarrow and some gardeners...

Also, somewhere in one of the wiki pages, I remember reading about a tree-line - is that only an issue in world-gen, or will I just never get trees above a certain height no matter what?  Is there any hope for me?

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tree-farming, above or under ground
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 01:20:32 pm »

There are mods that let you do this, but they require a restart. easiest way to get lots of trees is to buy them from merchants even paying 300% more for a 3db tree is cheap.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 01:23:34 pm »

you could make the layer the trees grow on if you got any above ground to collapse down to where you want it, as it is outside it will still grow trees there.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 01:25:32 pm »

Towercaps won't grow on muddy rock until you discover an underground river/pond, I don't know if there is an option in some utility that will simulate discovering that feature. You can move soil though through cave-ins.

EDIT: Phazer beat me.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.