Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The MMORPG  (Read 3321 times)

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress: The MMORPG
« on: April 17, 2009, 12:23:11 pm »

Kick the AI out and replace it with actual players. Everything else is pretty much the same, only scaled up a little to streamline the game speed.

Intriguing?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The MMORPG
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 12:26:53 pm »

Urist15587: How I mine for fish?? ???
Kogan: Why, you merely open this text file and replace these tags with the relevant fish...

I suppose lag would not be much a problem as pathfinding is the leading cause of slowdowns besides large bodies of water, but synchronizing the players would be hell. Also, watch as after the pro players sacrifice all their own so new people can walk into the adamantine stockpile at night and turn the raw stone into rock mugs.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 12:38:39 pm »

Of course it could be limited worlds, hosted on one of players' computers (hopefully THAT monster rig) and invite-only. But then that wouldn't really be MMORPG anymore, would it?

What I'm saying is, why just post our names and watch those Dwarf Fortress community games unveil as they go... we could participate in them ourselves! Even if it goes as slow as molasses, first hand experience is much more exciting than watching a dwarf catch on fire and streak through the whole fortress.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:43:58 pm »

Closest thing you'll get to that is the DF MUD that is being worked on here.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 01:15:43 pm »

what would you think about a DF MMOG with wurm-like engine?

i actually dreamed something like that.i used wurm models, but it was 3D, and i knew i was in a dwarven fortress. quite a strange dream, but a game i might enjoy... if it keeps all DF depth. i want to rip off the enemy arm and use it as a weapon!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 03:01:10 pm »

what would you think about a DF MMOG with wurm-like engine?

i actually dreamed something like that.i used wurm models, but it was 3D, and i knew i was in a dwarven fortress. quite a strange dream, but a game i might enjoy... if it keeps all DF depth. i want to rip off the enemy arm and use it as a weapon!

I just wish there were more Wurm-like games, such a rare breed of games :/
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 04:21:11 pm »

The first time I heard this suggestion about three years ago I made a joke about how a swarm of miners would hollow out the world and turn it into a void within hours.

Now I think it best to just pause the game and walk away.

Lear

• Bay Watcher
  • IRO-Bot will never die.
    • View Profile
    • the-crowing-is-near on deviantArt.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 07:47:47 pm »

Am I the only one who thinks the DF banner should be changed to say: IT'S NOT GONNA HAVE MULTIPLAYER!@! ?
Those were the days, The End Complete.
deviantART - My artworks, let me show you them!

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 08:10:35 pm »

Why the hell would I want humans in place of superior AI?
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 08:12:03 pm »

Pathfinding. And not rushing outside to get that sock in the middle of a siege.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 08:13:32 pm »

It's obvious, your average DF player is lonely.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 08:17:54 pm »

There have been many different attempts to make dwarven fortresses in wurm even if it's not the same thing.

There was Uvellakish that was built on the ruins of old Bear Back Mountain that never really took off that I was a member of, Copperblazes which I hear survived for quite some time somewhere near the west coast of home, and then a time after Copperblazes fell, Onoldeler was formed by a small group of dwarf fortressers.

I was the mayor of Onoldeler for about half a year, after pretty much all of the founders dissapeared.  But after a time I got bored and handed over the village to a non DF player Sgt. Scum who after deliberation decided to move the entire village to rebuild nearby Noriya and allow Onoldeler to decay.  Onoldeler was located just to the southeast of the village of Greenside(Currently Crafter's Landing) and a bit north of Roadside.  It had the biggest mining system I had ever seen.  [ego time]Mostly mined by myself.[/ego time]  We had a pretty big steelmaking operation.

I don't know of any current ones since I can't afford the premium to get my fightskill, carpentry and mining skill back and don't really feel like playing with my stats capped at 1/3rd their actual levels.  You could always create one with other DF players from the board if yer really looking for an mmo with people who actually get yer DF related jokes.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:28:12 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 09:04:28 pm »

Am I the only one who thinks the DF banner should be changed to say: IT'S NOT GONNA HAVE MULTIPLAYER!@! ?

It specifically says so in the FAQ, and yet people still clamor for it.   Even if they're only entertaining 'what if' ideas, it's still annoying.   It'd be like pondering when DF is gonna be an FPS game.    It's just not the direction the project is going to be heading.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 11:37:11 pm »

Ah. I do remember that last settlement. Unfortunately, my video card proceeded to give out shortly after it all started (the first in a long line of tech issues). However, there was the single glaring flaw that kept it from being a proper dwarven fort, and that was the inability to build much of anything underground. I wish I could've seen the steelmaking, though.

I have always wondered about making some kind of TES-alike adventure mode, if only to make a generator that built your fort into proper rendered glory to play around in.

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 02:41:48 am »

Pathfinding. And not rushing outside to get that sock in the middle of a siege.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd still be clamouring out to get that sock in the middle of a siege.

Infact I don't think there would be mich difference, except maybe more drinking breaks.. Definitly more drinking breaks
Pages: [1] 2