Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF a new level of play.  (Read 1595 times)

BasiC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DF a new level of play.
« on: April 17, 2009, 10:53:28 am »

I was wondering if it was planned to make another "level of play" for DF.
What i mean is that after you build a big enough fortress and satisfy some specific other demands for your fortress,you are allowed(if you want to) to move to the next stage of the game...
Now you can no longer control your fortress in detail and directly but you are able to give it "guidlines" as to how to run itself and what to do.
now you can expand,building more fortresses attacking other races and "empires" by giving your fortresses sets of rules and goals just like you do with your dwarves in the fortress mod.
you can grow your country in different ways and under different regimes of control fighting or making alliances with other nations and solving inner problems unhappiness and revolts... 

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: DF a new level of play.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 11:04:22 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's all in the dev logs!

Except, right now, only the army arc is being "focused" on.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 11:06:19 am by Zironic »

BasiC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 11:14:04 am »

aha.
I read that.
What you have posted talks about an extension to DF and what I am asking about is making this next stage a cross between DF and civilization...you no longer manage stuff inside fortresses and maybe also outposts.
Instead you manage the economy and trade between your own fortresses and outposts,manage military,diplomacy,expension and manage massive army encounters.

This stage in the game should of course be managed in a similar fashion to the way you manage your fortress.
You cant give direct commands but only goals and destinations.

DWeird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 11:23:23 am »

You may find the following link useful:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24453.0

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 11:24:16 am »

I did some forum searching, not a lot. And I found a few, very mildly related topics.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=4302.0
This one is about controlling multiple forts.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3193.0
This one is a very small topic on revolts.

Both of those didn't get any responses.

However, they are slightly similiar, but maybe different takes on your idea.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 11:43:37 am »

DF could actually end up taking a level of spore-like gameplay; you play an adventurer and eventually begin to gather followers, then you decide to settle down into a city, which grows until you become a king. And then die and become a god.

Of course, DF would do this far better than Spore did.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 11:54:17 am »

Don't bring the whole spore-EA-Crushing hardcore gamer's hopes and dreams fiasco here!

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 12:03:39 pm »

Eh, if I could rewire the noble infrastructure, I'd be able to keep the fuck-nuts out, and the good guys in, and make it nigh impossible for them to mandate.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 12:06:20 pm »

Eh, if I could rewire the noble infrastructure, I'd be able to keep the fuck-nuts out, and the good guys in, and make it nigh impossible for them to mandate.
Don't forget to make the philosopher even more useless!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 03:05:51 pm »

I would rather not loose the power to micromanage and I doubt any AI could do the job completely to my liking (it could perhaps to a tolerable job) so I would like to still maintain the ability to focus, zoom, correct on individual fortresses and such, but otherwise this seems like a natural progression of player power and likely to already be in a powergoal.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 06:08:12 pm »

Don't forget to make the philosopher even more useless!

Is this actually possible aside from making him eat an entire bowling leage's worth of food and booze per season?
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 08:02:39 pm »

I would rather not loose the power to micromanage and I doubt any AI could do the job completely to my liking (it could perhaps to a tolerable job) so I would like to still maintain the ability to focus, zoom, correct on individual fortresses and such, but otherwise this seems like a natural progression of player power and likely to already be in a powergoal.

agreed. different modes, maybe, but not a replacement.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 09:06:01 pm »

DF could actually end up taking a level of spore-like gameplay; you play an adventurer and eventually begin to gather followers, then you decide to settle down into a city, which grows until you become a king. And then die and become a god.

Of course, DF would do this far better than Spore did.

No, it wouldn't. It would suck for the same reason Spore sucked.

This idea is terrible.

Consider that (1) Toady has demonstrated that he can build a good fortress-management game, and (2) that game isn't finished yet. What you're proposing is that he abandon that project and start building something completely different, which nobody has ever done well and which we have no reason to think Toady will do well, either.

BasiC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 11:41:25 pm »

Spore didn't work cause it tried doing all at once thus all the different levels of play were shallow and boring(not to mention the fact it was so focused on the visuals and the creation kits)...
Let's face it the fortress mod is extremely complex and detailed...
Of course it's not over...it will never be over...there will always be something to add...
But maybe,just maybe,allowing the player to progress and actually have a great impact on the game world would be more gratifying...not to mention it will allow each created world to have a much bigger potential with a much more interesting history since u will take much greater part in writing it if you are able to control a "nation"...

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 03:24:21 am »

...but you are able to give it "guidlines" as to how to run itself and what to do. Now you can expand,building more fortresses attacking other races and "empires"...

This sounds suspiciously like Spore. Which may or may not be a good thing.
Pages: [1] 2