Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ability to Refill mined out areas  (Read 2765 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to Refill mined out areas
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 03:29:23 am »

The problem with this is that if you can just hide revealed tiles at will, that can lead to other problems. What if you accidentally hide tiles in your fortress proper? Then how would you go about unhiding them? Unless you have a tool to unhide tiles at will. Then how does the game decide what tiles you can unhide and can't unhide?

I think Toady One is already implementing something akin to this. That is, though he's only hinted at it vaguely, so I'm not sure what it will be, but It appears that you won't be able to see in game what your dwarves can't possibly see. We'll have to see.
!!&!!

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 09:32:40 am »

10 Mine out area
20 Fill bottom level with magma.
30 Add water to magma
40 IF no empty levels GOTO 50, ELSE GOTO 20
50 Carve out obsidian everything
60 ERROR ???
70 PRINT "Profit!!!"
80 Tantrum spiral due to inability to pay rent
90 Fortress END
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 01:03:09 pm »

The problem with this is that if you can just hide revealed tiles at will, that can lead to other problems. What if you accidentally hide tiles in your fortress proper? Then how would you go about unhiding them? Unless you have a tool to unhide tiles at will. Then how does the game decide what tiles you can unhide and can't unhide?
I would hope it to work like how hiding and showing buildings/items works currently, when you are in hide/show tile mode (d - b - ?) the currently hidden tiles would be shown but coloured to note them being hidden. You should only be able to unhide things that you have hidden yourself.

It shouldn't be possible to "undo" digging. It's a mountain. You're digging pieces out of it. That's irreversible.
Packing loose rock and dirt back into a tunnel and walling it off seems very reasonable to me, if we could then hide those tiles this would work perfectly as a kind of undo tool, of course it might require a lot of micromanagement akin to building towers though.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Buugipopuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 06:10:12 pm »

Simple solution: Building walls from unworked stone makes walls which look like and behave like natural walls (but weaker, in the event of material strength ever being implemented).  Building walls from rock blocks creates the arteficial-looking walls we get now.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 08:46:38 pm »

Actually, since we have walls and they serve the function this post wants, I don't care about the initial suggestion for the reasons it states. Still, having my haulers dump rubble in a tunnel to block it off (even if its easily movable, destroyable) would be kind of nice...

But anyways, it does remind me that I REALLY want the ability to refill dirt areas. Right now there is no capability to do that and is the first thing I thought of when I saw the title. Accidental mining in dirt areas - now that REALLY messes up aesthetics when you can only build smooth looking walls in your unsmoothable areas - I end up having to dig out everything and replace it all with walls. Plus, I really want to be able to bury dead dwarves/coffines/living caged enemies.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 10:01:04 am »

I wholeheartedly support this, even though the suggestion seems to lead to screams of 'unfair' and 'fun' whenever I see it mentioned.  As necessary as scumming is for a beta, I shouldn't have to feel like I'm cheating when I accidentally dig out a bit of wall when my hand slipped designating.  Not that the process shouldn't be preposterously cost prohibitive, so you really do feel stupid when it happens.  That SHOULD be the case.

The whole idea of hiding tiles seems like a band-aid that the lighting arc could fix. If an area is totally unreachable, I shouldn't be able to see what is going on, and aside from stationary discoverables, the area should be darkened/blacked-out.

I also think that the same should be considered for floors.  I detest roads (and will probably never get a king without striking fun), because they look like ugly water that gets all flashy when I dump something on it.  Floors serve the same purpose in my mind, except I can build floor in midair.  A floor built on ground should be noticeably cheaper stonewise than building a floor up in the sky, so that I can put stone under the feet of my military in the barracks without instigating a hauling APB, or to reasonably 'floor' roads.  And then the roads option slowly disappears, never to be spoken again, except by dwarves in the fellest of moods.  Or next to elf chunks in the HFS.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 10:57:08 am »

This would be grandiose! Grandiose, indeed.

See this?

I had to fill up gaps in my fortress with rock walls, just so I can build on the surface again. If I simply covered the holes with floor tiles, I wouldn't be able to do that. This is a bitch to do, and I'm not done yet as you can see.

It'd be really great if I could just .. grind rocks or something, or just dump rocks altogether in some hole to completely fill it again.
Combine that with the ability to actually make a tile Dark, Subterranean again, and It'd make my day.

Pages: 1 [2]