Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wiki Designs Page?  (Read 1056 times)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Wiki Designs Page?
« on: April 16, 2009, 09:07:27 pm »

I don't have much experience with editting wiki's, but I was wondering if it would 'appropriate' to make a page somewhere with designs/isntructions for various mechanical devices. I heard somewhere that the wiki shy'd away from posting explicit instructions for how to build such-and-such device. (ostensibly to preserve the entry level fun of figuring it out for yourself)

but (as you may of seen here) I've come up with quite a few neat 'maximum efficiency/minimum effort' mechanical setups, and I'd like to post the designs somewhere 'static' (i.e. rather than the forums where they drift into obscurity after a few days). and what with it being a wiki, others could add their own designs or improvements (which i'd be quite interested in seeing), and many wiki pages already -do- contain specific instructions for building say a pump tower and the like.

So, good idea? bad idea? My newest 'invention' is a perpetual-motion machine that takes up minimal space and is (as far as I can tell) indefinitely expandable. I WISH TO SHARE WITH ZA WORLD

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki Designs Page?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:11:02 pm »

I'd go with putting the designs on your wiki account page, then seeing if the rest will OK it for normal use.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:34:23 pm »

the rest being people on the wiki? or this thread?

my intent was to make an article titled 'device designs' or something to that effect, but not fill other articles with links to it, simply so it if someone searched for it (as I had done in the past) they could find it. again my knowledge of wiki's is limited, but I don't think anyone would really come across it if it's just on a user page?

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 10:34:39 pm »

Personally, I'm all for this idea. If someone doesn't want to spoil their initial fun, then they don't have to read the page.

Besides, for the more experienced DFers, it would be a great, permanent place to share our multiple designs.

I would also reccomend giving the page multiple sections, instead of basing the page solely on mechanical stuff. For example, have a "residence setup" category for dwarf bedroom setups, and a trap section, etc.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 12:03:07 am »

Sounds like a webpage like this would be good for all the crazy designs that look cool instead of function.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 01:04:18 am »

Sounds like a webpage like this would be good for all the crazy designs that look cool instead of function.
I only make functioning plans thank you very much! ( DSDC, ftw! )