Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human Graveyard  (Read 1723 times)

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Human Graveyard
« on: April 16, 2009, 07:19:20 pm »

My fort is basically under constant assault by goblin ambushes, almost all of them lead by humans. While I enjoy killing them, it always makes me sad to see them made into totems. The same goes for merchants who fall battling ambushes. I tried making a graveyard with little refuse stockpiles only for humans in little one square channels, with ramps leading down to them. Once I had my corpse safe, I would build floors and a marker out of felsite blocks, in addition to forbidding the body and removing the stockpile designation to frighten off grave robbers. One problem; the bodies keep disappearing! Do bones rot away or something? What can I do to bury my beloved humans?
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Human Graveyard
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 07:30:01 pm »

When stored outside, bones will rot, yes.  I don't know if you can use coffins/caskets to bury non-dwarves but I can't see why not.. try making a burial receptacle at a carpenter or mason shop, and you can install it as a room.  I dunno if you can restrict what species goes in it, though, and if you try to move it, it dumps the bones out.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 08:27:24 pm »

No I've tried you definately cannot bury them in coffins. I'll try to make sure the grave is underground and a stockpile next time. However, I don't think there will be a next time as my 50 dwarf fort found some interesting features in the foot of our mountain while digging housing. I think I'll be busy enough burying dwarves. Thank you.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 09:08:19 pm »

Whenever I read the word "Human" on these forums, I forget I am one...

Yes. Totems would be creepy. I think you can put them inside safely, like turtle bones. Just be careful of the miasma.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:06:31 pm »

Oh don't worry I am careful about miasma. What I'm making for the humans is an outdoor graveyard. When they are empty it looks like this (+ is ground, # is channel, ^ is ramp)
++++#^ and then when a human body is carried down the ramp and placed in the special stockpile a mason arrives and using blocks builds a floor over the ramp and channel and adds a wall made out of blocks as the stone. The end result with a full graveyard looks really cool, with the only problem being the bones seem to keep disappearing out of their graves. Zombies anyone?

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:24:50 pm »

Beware the Bone fairies!

Bone Fairies will devour any bones that aren't in a stockpile inside.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 06:50:55 am »

Oh don't worry I am careful about miasma. What I'm making for the humans is an outdoor graveyard. When they are empty it looks like this (+ is ground, # is channel, ^ is ramp)
++++#^ and then when a human body is carried down the ramp and placed in the special stockpile a mason arrives and using blocks builds a floor over the ramp and channel and adds a wall made out of blocks as the stone. The end result with a full graveyard looks really cool, with the only problem being the bones seem to keep disappearing out of their graves. Zombies anyone?

Yet again, it's the evil sunlight at work here. Dark, Subterranean tiles are turned into Light, Above ground once it has been exposed to sunlight. This is irreversible. The only way to have your bones not rot away is to create an underground graveyard. The only thing that you can change is "Inside" or "outside" (by simply building a roof over a tile), but this has no effect on anything, afaik. Once it's light, it will always be light, even when you build a roof over it.