Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This was a triumph  (Read 1701 times)

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This was a triumph
« on: April 16, 2009, 06:11:04 pm »

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I've been lurking for a while and playing a few forts.

I just cracked open a beer to celebrate the completion of my execution tower. It consists of two towers standing near to each other with a gold launching platform connecting the two at the top. For style I built the left out of blue microcline and the right out of red koalinite It has been designed so that most goblins can survive the impact as they land with minor injuries.

The beauty of it is that I have a walkway connecting the two towers on the second level with built fortifications. I station fresh marksdwarves there for some easy target practice on the stunned goblins.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can build next? It'll probably entail a new fort as I'm currently running at around 10 fps and it takes ages to get anything done. I've already had a simple magma death chamber and a drowning chamber, but haven't done anything with pumps yet...

I was thinking about having an addition to the tower consisting of a single width line of floor, at the end of which I will release a goblin and at the front of which I'll station a hammerdwarf, the idea being that the goblin gets knocked off to fall to his untimely end. Sound good?

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
Re: This was a triumph
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:27:18 pm »

Have you tryed 40d11, it spos'd to improve your fps dramatically.
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:32:21 pm »

No I have not, thanks for the suggestion. I dunno if I'll be able to, I followed a tutorial that provided a zip complete with mayday's tileset (I think) so re-doing all that might cause me some difficulties :p

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:40:01 pm »

Also, unrelated, any idea why I haven't been sieged yet? I've hit the population cap and I'm in my fifth year. So far the worst assault was 3 ambushes

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 06:41:09 pm »

How about some of that ever so popular waterboarding? Make a drowning chamber, only the water will only stay for a short while and then drain again. And then come in again. And then drain again.
For extra cruelty points alternate between ice cold water and hot steam.
Keep it going for days. Make notes on the mental state of the victim subject.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 06:41:41 pm »

I think distance to enemy civs factors in.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 06:44:57 pm »

The waterboarding thing is rather tempting but I prefer to see limbs flying. I've read some posts about marathons and gauntlets and various other virtually impossible tasks for goblins to complete so I'm considering something along those lines.

Either that or a pleasant waterfall in my dining room that occasionally throws a drowning goblin down with it to be dispatched by a team of trainee hammerdwarves... nothing like a good show of goblin smashing to make a meal.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 06:51:08 pm »

Oooooooh, will body parts go through grates or bars? Because I'm thinking some traps or other devices that mince creatures in the pipe leading to the waterfall, and a lever in the dining room that will throw a victim in turn the waterfall from blue to red on demand.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 06:52:05 pm »

So, you have marksdwarves fire at airborne goblins launched by bridge-apult as they fly from one tower to the other?

Yet another in the long list of things I have to try.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 06:54:00 pm »

Ooh good question, put some whip weapon traps in and it could be a beautiful water/bodypart-fall thing..

And no, not exactly, though that's a great idea... The towers are connected at the top and on the second level, there's an extended platform in which I pit the goblins who fall and mostly survive at the bottom, where the marksdwarves on the second level fire at their unconscious bodies until they are definitely dead.

I've just switched it to give some novice hammerdwarves some training, and I've considered putting weapon traps at the bottom to tear apart any survivors.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 07:06:59 pm »

I have a hard time getting humanoid prisoners, because everything comes riding damn beak dogs, but all the hostiles I get are disposed of via monkey (I have a pit filled with rhesus macaques), or via really really long drop (execution tower using a pair of bridges to collect prisoners before dropping them en masse fifteen z-levels)
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 07:12:11 pm »

Well, I keep capturing a wealth of theives and the like in my cage traps and don't know what to do with them. Now that my twin towers have been built I feel at a loss. I've been chucking goblins off the edge of it for a straight hour and I'm still not bored but I'm sure I'd enjoy a new project even more.

On a side note, a toad has appeared at the top level of my tower and doesn't appear to want to remove himself. He periodically disappears (causing me to frantically scan z-levels incase he jumped) and then reappears, is this normal for execution towers?

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 07:18:46 pm »

I'm making a note here: Huge success!

Ahem. Anyway, I like the concept. I may have to try that one of these days.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 07:23:38 pm »

Upload a movie please.

My Suggestion:
* Lock and seal the red tower and connect the door to a lever.
* Build some pumps in or around the blue tower to pump water to the top.
* Aquaduct it over to the red tower until the red tower is full of water.
* Release some of your thieves at the entrance of the red tower.
* Open the door of the red tower full of water.
Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 07:26:45 pm »

How do I upload a movie? How do I record one for that matter..

It's nothing spectacular, although flooding one tower sounds like fun. It's a run-of-the-mill execution tower really, just with a bit of love included (there's a gold path leading to the pit, for example). I'm a little worried that my favourite bit is checking the wounds on the goblins that survive and feeling satisfied if it's something gory. I'm beginning to feel like instant death is a bit of a disappointment :-\
Pages: [1] 2